Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Boot Binding angles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:18 pm 

Curious what you hard booters are running for your binding angles front and back?

Post subject: Re: Hard Boot Binding angles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm 

See this Changing Stance Angles to accomodate Dynafitted splitboard
thread http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13522&hilit=+stance+angles

and my quote from Post subject: Re: Phantom Splitboard Bindings, Group Order (Hardboot Specific):

Quote:
Have your tried riding a splitboard with splitboard hardboot-bindings and Dynafit toe pieces? As a long time HB-Carver, I wanted higher binding angles. But the Dyna-split setup (Dynafit toe pieces, Spark R&D Dynafit adapters and G3 dual riser heels) gets in the way, while trying a keep the same < 21 inch stance width. Also riding higher carving angles. I tend to use cants, toe and heel lift. What I have found is that over time, I have lessen the stance angles to down to 21 degrees in front and 15 in the back to accommodate the Dyna-Split setup. I do not use cants or lifts (currently ride Bomber Sidewinders) when I ride with less angles. Although I could benefit from a little bit of cant and lift.

Cant and lift was discussed in Vapor HB binding thread.

If you have tried the Dyna-split setup... Great, I hope that you are offended here. I just want to shred" some light on the issue of using a Dyna-split and binding angles / stance width.

keffler can custom Phantom bindings handle higher angles in a Dynaft-setup? I was having trouble above 24 degrees and <21 inch stance width with the Voile slider tracks.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13929&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=stance+angles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am 

tymelero wrote:
Curious what you hard booters are running for your binding angles front and back?

I ride the same angles on HB and SB, based on what is comfortable for me. Am I missing something?

FWIW rear= 0 to +5°, front= +10 to +15°

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm 

Not sure there is really a difference now esp with the tlt5 boot.Set up Shift this weekend on his board Riding 18 front -5 back and with a few tweaks to the boot he was rippin
There are a few adjustments that can be done that make huge difference in how hardboots ride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm 

Here is my setup

Mojo RX 161
Garmont Megaride Mg (Size 27.5)
Voile Mtn Plates

In order to keep the boots from overhanging the edge of the board I have to run +41/+36. My non split/soft boot combo is +15/-5. I like this stance much better. I am just not sure how/if I can get the angles lower on my split.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm 

Overhang can be an issue but discussed binding stances with Karkis awhile back as he rides 27f -6r with a 24'' stance. his boot size is 29.
This is a classic freestyle stance and pretty much sets the bar in these parts riding hardboots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm 

There are some issues with big angles if your using Dynafit touring.
The front angle is quite restrictive for standard pucks.
You have to make some mods
I have two boards at the moment for Hardboots
165 Burton, 178 Voile ST

Voile 178 Swallow

Angles
Front +30 rear +15
30 is the widest angle I could get even with these mods
The mods are -
Single slot puck on both side front foot.
Double slot both side for rear foot.
Ground down Heal puck for Dynafit lever clearance.

Slider plate pins on heal side

Burton 165

Angles
Front 35+ rear 15+
Mods
FirstLight flat puck front
FirstLight 5 Deg cant puck rear
Custom Dynafit adaptor toe and heal raiser

Plenty of clearance as I could setup with my own adaptors for tour mode.

My advice is to get your angles close and then get out the tools to make it all fit.

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 am 

vapor wrote:
Overhang can be an issue but discussed binding stances with Karkis awhile back as he rides 27f -6r with a 24'' stance. his boot size is 29.
This is a classic freestyle stance and pretty much sets the bar in these parts riding hardboots.

I agree here. As Vapor mentioned in a post above, he hooked me up with a set of his bindings this weekend and he and I toured Rogers pass for some sweet powder turns. I had the 18f -5r angles with about a 23.5" stance on a 168w Jones solution board and I too wear a 29 tlt5. In the powder with zero boot mods, the bindings worked great. Yesterday I took the set up to the resort and bombed groomers all day to dial in the new boots. While the boots needed a minor adjustment, I never booted out toe side or heal side while on the hard pack snow - and I was trying too. The bindings themselves are solid and the board is set up the same angles/stance width as it was with sparks and soft boots.

I thought I'd give hard boots a try after a bunch of talks with Karkis, Barrows and more recently Joey Vosbergh who all claimed the same ride if not better than soft boots. As a big time skeptic, I have to say I won't be switching back to soft set up. Touring is clearly better and the down is just as good if not better.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor