Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Splitting a Never Summer Raptor
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm 

The top sheet came out mint, and it doesn't chip when cut, the carbonium topsheet is actually non fibrous layer and is not brittle its more plastic I recon. The board flex - good question I never rode it before I split it, but I enjoy riding it, its very light too which is great when its on my pack or I am skinning! Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 pm 

richie wrote:
The top sheet came out mint, and it doesn't chip when cut, the carbonium topsheet is actually non fibrous layer and is not brittle its more plastic I recon. The board flex - good question I never rode it before I split it, but I enjoy riding it, its very light too which is great when its on my pack or I am skinning! Cheers

I'd love to see a pic of that board. Just out of playful curiosity since I've been staring at this board wondering what it will look sliced in half.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 am 

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.419641981423834.98020.169413809779987&type=1&l=b6e1a26199

here are a few pics I dug out, cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:51 am 

Last year I went through several phases, reflecting the money I had/was ready to spend - splitting an old board, getting a good second hend board and splitting it, getting a brand new Raptor and splitting it and finally I bought a factory split NS Summit.
In the "Buy a Raptor! Split it!" phase sent the guys an email:
"... So my question is, are there any concerns about splitting this board? Like some incredible technology in it's core that would be totally ruined by cutting right across is?"
And the response was

Quote:
Hey Ivan,

Thanks for your support. In regards to your question, you can split the raptor but you would be compromising the integrity of the board and it would no longer be covered under our warranty. So it's totally up to you and good luck if you do decide. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
NS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
And the response was

Quote:
Hey Ivan,

Thanks for your support. In regards to your question, you can split the raptor but you would be compromising the integrity of the board and it would no longer be covered under our warranty. So it's totally up to you and good luck if you do decide. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
NS

I think they said that because they can't warranty a board that is split. I don't think NS was implying that the board would ride differently. Or maybe it would. I'm not sure. how did you interpret it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 am 

Warranty,... Pfft. It does remind me of wanting (as a joke) to send my old skate banana back to Mervin after it met it's demise. We will split her for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 pm 

I don't think too many manufacturers would endorse people cutting their boards into splits, thats a minefield if something goes wrong. Characteristics might change subtly if you cut a board, but a split is a split, all splits will have characteristics that differ them from their solid equivalent. I'm happy with how the Raptor rides as a split and it met my budget so really thats all that counts to me. All the DIY's I have done for customers my main criteria advise for them has been "make sure its got a decent wooden core", I have found all kinds of interesting layups in the boards, definitely cutting through some diagonal multiaxial layers, still they ride well and met the customers budget to get them up and going on a split at a reasonable budget eh. I wouldn't sweat it too much, if total performance is what you are after then maybe a factory split is the way to go. Cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:44 pm 

So funny story...

After calling around the Steamboat Springs area for some local guys to cut this board, the Powder Tools shop recommended me a guy who runs Glide Inc. out of Steamboat. Turns out the guy who runs it is Matt Wood, 2 posts above! HA!

Gave Matt a call and within one day the beaut is in two pieces as of right now. Turned out great! Photos to come soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am 

Thanks to Matt Wood from Glide Inc. up in Steamboat Springs Colorado for these photos! My baby is going through surgery and she's looking beautiful!!!! The craftsmanship of Glide Inc. blew me fucking away. His FB is below.
https://www.facebook.com/GlideIncCustomSplitboards?ref=ts&fref=ts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 am 

Where is the photos Ben?

Although not a NS fan, this board is sweet. Carbonium cuts like butter. Good thing I checked Karakoram's templates because they were way of there claimed dimension.

Enjoy the ride Boat Shredder, it was a pleasure to build.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm 

Photos are coming once I can go shred. I want to take photos in this beaut's natural setting.