Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with liners.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:20 pm 

I have a two year old pair of Vans Cirros. I have ridden 100+ days in them and the liners are shot. The shells are good and I have not had one problem with the dual boa system. I just bought a pair of Ride RFL's for the upcoming season. But I would still like to keep my old boots going. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement liners? I have seen a couple different specialty shops online offering them. I was just interested in the opinions of members of the splitboard community.

Thanks,

Mikee

Post subject: Re: Need help with liners.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 pm 

Intuition. I've got Pro Tours in my Malamutes & dig everything about them other than the removable tongue (tends to pop off when I pull my foot out at the end of the day).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm 

Intuition Freeride is a great liner for me, hard boot or soft… Tongue style, but not a removable tongue.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm 

barrows wrote:
Intuition Freeride is a great liner for me, hard boot or soft… Tongue style, but not a removable tongue.

It doesn't seem that they make these anymore? I'm looking into these, as I want to get some more life from my Drivers as they have gone a little flimsy. But I don't know what one to go with. I guess I'm between the Dreamliner, Luxury or Powerwrap if I was to get one. Anyone have experience with these? Is the Powerwrap crazy stiff, and how much noticeable is it between them? Also, my boots are 9.5, but I wear a 9. I'm assuming I should go with a high volume size 9?

Also, there seems to be only 1 retailer by me. Do you need to go to them to get heat molded, or is it like hockey skates?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:14 pm 

Jason: Yeah, it looks like Intuition has changed their line up a little. I would probably go with the dreamlliner or luxury, unless you want to add some serious beef to your boots. I have used Intuition's overlap style liners in a soft boot before, and they will add serious stiffness. I would probably stay away from the top stiffness models, as these would make even a played pair of Driver Xs into a monsters. Perhaps split the difference and get one of the medium stiffness overlap style liners, this will still add stiffness over a soft boot tongue style liner. I use the tongue style Intuitions now with my hard boots, as the hard boots do not need any added stiffness.
The Intuitions now come molded to a generic last, so they can be used out of the box, but fit and performance will be greatly improved by getting them molded by a competent boot fitter.
If you can find a local boot fitter who is an Intuition dealer, they should do the molding for free if you purchase through them-maybe you would need to head over to Telluride to find the right shop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:43 pm 

The Dreamliner is the only model that doesn't require heat molding as far as I know. I'd personally avoid the wrap style unless you're looking to add some serious beef. My Pro Tours are plenty stiff, way burlier than the stock liners that came in the Malamutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 pm 

Thanks guys, good information.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:28 pm 

Thanks for the info and opinions. One more question. Is it better to have a wrap liner or a tongue liner for softboots?

Mikee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm 

liquidfreak117 wrote:
Thanks for the info and opinions. One more question. Is it better to have a wrap liner or a tongue liner for softboots?

Mikee

Depends what you are trying to achieve. As noted above, if you add an overlap style liner to a soft boot, you will stiffen the boot considerably. A tongue liner will be more flexible. I used an overlap Intuition to stiffen older (hence softened) soft boots and it certainly made them much stiffer. In my hard boots I definitely choose softer flexing tongue liners, as the boots themselves do not need additional stiffness, and the tongue liner tours better as well when the cuff is loose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am 

Got a question on the intuition liners. Do the intuitions help with heel lift significantly? If so, which one is best? I'm not able to go to a custom fitter for molding.

I've got some 3 yr old Soloman synapse boots that I really like but they are feeling pretty blown out and I'm getting a lot of heel lift on my back foot which is starting to give me heel blisters no matter how much I tighten the laces/bindings. I like a softer boot so not too interested in stiffer boots like malamutes, etc (although at $200 for liners it is almost a wash).
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm 

I won a gift card for a free pair of intuitions at the canuck splitfest :rock:

picked up a pair of Dream liners...what a difference! Feels like a totally different boot.

Now I have 3 layers of laces, one on the liner + the inside boa + the external laces = very nice supported fit

Zero heel lift, super comfy custom heat mold, extremely warm (maybe too warm!)