Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens Pass 11-22-12: jgusa's first time tour
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:07 pm 

So I finally got my splitboard setup put together and have been itching to get out and test it. I got the perfect opportunity yesterday before heading up to my parent's place for Thanksgiving.

Stevens Pass opened earlier this week, but only opened the Brooks and Daisy chairs (the two lowest lifts). Knowing the rest of the inbounds terrain as well as I do, I figured I'd do an inbounds split mission would be the perfect way to get my first turns of the season.

Thankfully, Stevens groomed a trail from the top of Daisy over to the bottom of Tye Mill, then up to the top of Hogsback. This definitely made it easy skinning, especially for my first time. It did get a little interesting between Tye and Hogs. I decided to head up a steeper section that happened to be too steep and I got myself into a little trouble. I tried to turn around and 'ski' back down and hit a different trail up, and really got myself twisted up (I've never skied before). Made for a pretty good show for the guy working on the Tye lift below me. It was a mess. Eventually I made it back down to the lower trail that got me up to the top of Hogsback.

After 15 minutes of resting my legs I headed back down for my first turns of the season. With the low coverage and being by myself, I stuck to a mellow open run back down to the lodge and off to Thanksgiving dinner.

Overall, it was a really fun quick trip up with the splitty. I'm definitely hooked, I actually really enjoyed the skin up just being out there in the snow and enjoying the scenery. Can't wait for the next mission.

Now to the pics........

Yup, winter on Hwy 2.

American Alps.

Heading up.

Feels kinda weird at first.

Heading up the trail, looking back towards Tye Mill.

Cowboy Ridge in all her glory.

Cowboy Ridge & 7th Heaven.

Top of Hogsback looking back towards Tye Mill.

Lovin' it.

Post subject: Re: Stevens Pass 11-22-12: jgusa's first time tour
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm 

Nice. It looks like there was some good snow up there. I went up to crystal today with the wifey. The rain yesterday turned it crusty with a little dust on top. Did a few laps then headed home. I'm sure higher elevation touring was good today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:16 am 

Nice firs tour on the Slack :thumpsup:
jgusa wrote:
Overall, it was a really fun quick trip up with the splitty. I'm definitely hooked, I actually really enjoyed the skin up just being out there in the snow and enjoying the scenery. Can't wait for the next mission.

I love the peace of the mountains without crowds of people too, it is something great about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm 

Nice!

I was there being lazy and riding lifts all day. I did ride the lift with some splitters girlfriend while he was out skinning. :drool: :thumpsup:

Snow and weather was sick! Great way to spend working up an appetite.

My dog and I did our annual pre season inbounds day on Monday. We went a simular route to yours, but went up to the ridge from the bottum of tye mill. we where going to go all the way up to DD, but it was too windy. snow was super heavy coming down. which made for a great base!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm 

Nice! I keep meaning to get up there, but every time I make the drive north, Mt. Rainier sucks me in and I end up at Paradise.