Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Burton Nug Raduction - Latest Marketing Buzzword?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 am 

philip.ak wrote:
MT wrote:
6 ft and 220 lbs on a 150 was mind-bottling to me.

What size feet, and what's your stance? I'm trying to imagine getting my boots not to hang a mile off the edges.

My nug takes a large binding which is probably good up to a size 12 or so without angling your stance too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
MT wrote:
6 ft and 220 lbs on a 150 was mind-bottling to me.

What size feet, and what's your stance? I'm trying to imagine getting my boots not to hang a mile off the edges.

Size 11 Big B boots with their shrinktech..still ride Large bindings though.. stance width of 23-24" and 15/-15 on angles. Had no issues with overhang/drag. The 150 had a waist width of 255mm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:59 pm 

It sounds like it might be a decent board for couloirs or buttering around in flat gay pow, but there's no way I'd make it my main board.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:23 am 

Matt a.d. wrote:
It sounds like it might be a decent board for couloirs or buttering around in flat gay pow, but there's no way I'd make it my main board.

quiver stick for sure... still super fun though

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm 

Got some time on the Splif yesterday. Super fun board and definitely didn't feel like a 148!

Looking forward to getting some uphill time on it soon. :thumbsup:

On the downside, what is it with Burton and their tip/tail clip installations? They are so loose and come open often. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

bcrider wrote:
On the downside, what is it with Burton and their tip/tail clip installations? They are so loose and come open often. :thumbsdown:

That's seriously still an issue?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

bbb032 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

133 cm for set up snow.

splitty 155003 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

155 cm for blower

sierrachub015 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

Narrower 155 for average pow.

mojomobaking013 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

168 for all conditions. It has a lot of tail rocker so it rides much shorter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm 

After trying all these sizes & shapes the 168 is the one I usually grab. They all have their use though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 pm 

lewmt wrote:
Everything Burton is marketing overhype douchebaggery. Has been for so long.

+ 1.

Was out touring today with a buddy who has the new Burton short board splitter. Its marketed as a pow slayer, but seriously, he said he just couldn't keep the thing up! For inbounds I can't go smaller than 158-159. For backcountry and mountaineering, can't go smaller than 161.. I'm 5'11, 200 pounds...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Got some time on the Splif yesterday. Super fun board and definitely didn't feel like a 148!

Looking forward to getting some uphill time on it soon. :thumbsup:

WTF? soooo lame. It makes me sad when I hear Burton can't fix this problem, or Jones boards have issues. It would be nice to be able to choose splits on their merits, rather than on manufacturing quality.

I have a 150 nug, and no, it's not 'burton marketing douchebaggery' - the thing is awesome. I've ridden it fine in deep pow (not bad) and in big open bc bowls (not ideal), but it's forte is trees. It just makes small terrain features so so fun. If you splitted in trees lots I would def recommend it. For alpine though, prob not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 am 

I have a nug 150. It's fast, floaty, and light as a feather. It rips thru trees, slays pow... its super maneuverable. Throw some Malavita EST bindings with the hinge and you'll be a believer. I'd definitely like to demo the spliff but not sure about going shorter for backcountry.

I also have a freebird split I picked up this year. The top/bottom clips are snug. I put some k-clips on it as well. Nice and snug.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:02 pm 

^^^+1
I put some K-clps on my freebird and love it

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

grubbers wrote:
bcrider wrote:

That's seriously still an issue?
Yup, that's still an issue.

It's the only complaint I have with the Spliff so far, and was solved by drilling through the plastic clip and tying off a leash attaching to the spare post (a trick posted here by someone wiser, thanks).

So far have only ridden the Spliff inbounds from the lifts (downhill mode) so can comment on that alone but it has been 100% fun and a great improvement overall from the 168 it replaces. I had ridden a Nug here and there over the last two seasons so the "Raduction" was not a surprise to me. I've been riding this on everything including wall rides, slider boxes, icy groomers and fresh woods and it performs well everywhere.

168 cms were appropriate in India where it was always above treeline in big terrain, but in Vermont the trees are two feet apart, maybe. Except for the biggest days the Spliff will do the trick and be so much lighter underfoot or on the back.

The big surprise for me is the Spark Burner bindings I have mounted on the Spliff. The fit, comfort, and durability exceed my expectations and the functionality is top notch. The response between board & binding reminds me off the Bomber bindings I used when I raced GS & SL, absolutely rock solid.

Except for a brief unhappy stint with the Light Rail bindings I have been using Slider Tracks and traditional bindings, so the weight difference, combined with the 20cm drop in length makes for an astonishingly light and playful splitboard setup. The ratchets and ladders on the Light Rail bindings I used before skipped within hours first time out, so I was nervous about buying into Spark bindings, but again I mention their durability has been outstanding.

I'll start skinning this week, so I'll get a grip on the uphill function of the Spliff. Of greater concern are the skins I trimmed down from the 168. The shape of the nose alters the way the skin clip lies on the nose, so the skin doesn't run parallel to the inside edge. It may want to wander off outboard as it goes toward tail. Anyone else see this happening? Also, the tail kick makes me think the skins may need tail clips ASAP. (BTW, these are Voile Tractor Skins).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next