Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: June Mountain resort closed next season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 am 

Nice photo Max... Fern Lake was my first overnighter way back in teh 2nd grade. What a beautiful spot!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Hey Jaybay--Not sure where you got your info but Highway 4 is plowed to Lake Alpine, 7 or 8 miles east/past the little town of Bear Valley.

jbaysurfer wrote:
Yeah Jim, I thought of that too, but I have no idea who plows it...I'd guess caltrans though. Bear Valley east of Angels Camp (east of Stockton) is unplowed in the winter too. There's a guy who stores and trickle charges snowmobiles for cabin owners. The upshot is that you can ski back into town from the mountain, but that's how June is too. Bear Valley Ski Resort is open though, so that's one difference. :?

'Sup Brad.

Yeah, I actually knew that, but I was referring to the town roads in the town of bear valley. I have a good buddy who has a house up there (we're going next month actually! It'll be my first non-winter visit to the area) and he's the one who told me about the snowmobile storage guy. Last time I was there I met some locals at the lodge (right at the edge of town near the highway, and skinned up to a house party in town.

I could easily see June becoming similar to that. Hopefully not, but I was a bit discouraged by the mono county board of supervisors meeting with Rusty Gregory last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:47 pm 

Bear Valley is cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm 

saign wrote:
I heard last week, it is sad for the town and employees. I rode that mountain for over ten year when mammoth was busy....

On the bright side it's gonna be wide open pow laps on the face all day, just a short skin up the cat track. You can't ask for easier accessed steep, deep pow than that....it 'll be easier than the sherwins.

I wonder if there's going to be anyone there to stop you from bringing sleds?

Glad you are able to see the brighter side of the issue. :) Unfortunately for me, I think I will plan my winter vacation and go to a sunnier place after hearing this news. There are some great deals at Downtown San Diego Hotels, so I think the beach will be my vacation this winter instead of the mountains.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm 

Skinned up June last weekend and had memorable ride down. Super fresh and super fun...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 pm 

Nice! Was the face still to boney or did you get some?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 pm 

saign wrote:
Nice! Was the face still to boney or did you get some?

The Face was pretty much all dirt but the Canyon trail had enough snow on it to skin up & sled down, so hiking down was kept to a minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm 

http://mammothtimes.com/content/june-mo ... -marketing

only closed for one winter...not too bad, maybe Gull Lake Lodge will hook up the room rates this winter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 am 

Its because if it was closed for more than a season they would have to return it to its natural state. ie. remove the lifts and buildings. It would cost them way more than if they were going to run it and "lose" money for the next 20 years.

It was a strong arm tactic in the first place to try and get the locals to agree to do to June what they did to Mammoth....Turn it into aspen. Hopefully the locals held their ground.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 am 

I know, its a fine line. I think it was Intrawest that came to June in the early 2000's with a plan to super-develop the place and residents balked but then when the rug was pulled out from the operation suddenly intervention/development is desired. I guess it's probably not development that most residents want but rather status quo. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just noticing the thin margin between cool/core/small resort and long term sustainability...you know, since it's owned by a company concerned with their bottom line.

I've enjoyed having an insanely cheap college pass to June the past couple of seasons so selfishly speaking of course, I want them to stay undeveloped and relatively unknown but it just seems slightly idealistic. Here's to hoping that Rusty's new plan of "catering to young families" doesn't work and there are many more days when the employee's vehicles outnumber the patrons' in the parking lot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:10 pm 

deathrowplankwalker wrote:
I know, its a fine line. I think it was Intrawest that came to June in the early 2000's with a plan to super-develop the place and residents balked but then when the rug was pulled out from the operation suddenly intervention/development is desired. I guess it's probably not development that most residents want but rather status quo. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just noticing the thin margin between cool/core/small resort and long term sustainability...you know, since it's owned by a company concerned with their bottom line.

I've enjoyed having an insanely cheap college pass to June the past couple of seasons so selfishly speaking of course, I want them to stay undeveloped and relatively unknown but it just seems slightly idealistic. Here's to hoping that Rusty's new plan of "catering to young families" doesn't work and there are many more days when the employee's vehicles outnumber the patrons' in the parking lot.

I don't get your last sentence. Are you defending MMSA because they're entitled to make a profit and yet hoping the resort won't turn (ie..the family marketing fails) a profit when they reopen?

Development isn't the answer. It never has been. Until June's lodging is full on the weekends, development does one thing: moves income from the locally owned businesses to the corporation that owns the ski resort. Development (If you build it (and get taxpayer funds to pay airline subsidies) they will come) is the reason that MM itself was on the brink this last spring before the refinance bailed them out. Development is the reason the town went bankrupt this year.

I've been an MVP member since year 1 in Mammoth (and the year before that I bought a similar "silver" pass). I can honestly say that when you send literally hundreds of marketing emails to your Socal base and none of them contain ANYTHING about June, you shouldn't be surprised when attendance languishes.

They're only reopening in talk right now, and that's because if they don't say they're reopening the FS will yank their permit for non-compliance. I'll believe it when I see it, and in the meantime I'll be riding it (well, the stash next door to it anyway ;-) ).

There's room for June to make money and still be empty on plenty of powder days...and there will ALWAYS be powder stashes there that the "Young families" won't go into because they require long traverses in/out, moderate to dense tree skiing/riding, and the groomers were made for families. I think families are the sweet spot, and they want to get away from the circus like atmosphere of MM, but the stuff we love it for (although I take my wife and daughter to June all the time) is still going to be left to those of us who don't mind earning it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:34 pm 

JBay well said....the (lack of) marketing aspect of MMSA and June is just flat embarrassing. If they improved on that and just replace a few lifts from salvaged 5, 9 parts and throw in a little extra snowmaking coverage, you'd think they'd at least break even. SIMPLE!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm 

I guess this would be the appropriate thread to resurrect, just saw this:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/june-moun ... ng-116895/