Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2012-13 Conditions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm 

Went looking for cat tracks cause I had a feeling it was going to be deep. Got on a NE facing ridgeline and got a pretty good size cornice to go, got nothing. Dug a pit, quite a bit of snow sitting on a little graupel, ice crust layer. Seemed to be bonding fine. I was tempted, to hit this line but thought one, spacial variability is a bitch and this line has a nice convex 100Ft down, who knows what kind of rotten snow or slick crust is hiding down there. Two, it's snowed a lot and I never like to take chances when this amount of snow has fallen, especially with wind. Three, even a small pocket would mean a ringing through an early season rock garden, I've been thinking alot about paying more attention to my runnouts and other features especially early season. And, Four, it would have been an absolute bitch to hike out of that bowl on my own. Oh yeah and five, my cute kids at home were calling so I had to go. Take care everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 am 

thanks Utah...All good reasons especially #5

Sunday's Sunset

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 am 

Went out both days this weekend. It was awesome! Went to bear trap Saturday with Ryan. It was deep. No riding photos as it was so deep. Broke trail the entire way. That was exhausting with just two people.

Sunday I went up to Pole Line pass. Rookie mistake I make. I didn't reglue my skins and didn't dry them out from Saturday. They were soaked so I only got one lap in as I couldn't get my skins to stick. I seriously need a bigger board though. Anyone have a 170ish swallow tail? I am serious I need a new board for days like yesterday.

Bit of a conga line.

Kind of a grainy black and white. As it was so overcast hard to take photos and the cold drained my battery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am 

beautiful shot Dave! I like that picture of the aspen Logan!

good choice Nic! lets get out and ride soon.

KR, Jason, and I dicked around solitude on sunday turns were fun and deep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:13 pm 

I am pretty sure I have work off tomorrow. Anyone up for an early morning tour? I am down to go whenever even before the sun rises. Most people have jobs I know but I decided tomorrow would be a good day to burn a vacation day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 am 

Wished I'd been around for the main event, but I made the l-o-n-g snowy drive from SLC to Boulder City, NV Friday night to run 30+ miles in the Nevada desert Saturday. After finally getting some good sleep I made it up to BCC yesterday to take a look around.
[EDIT] Forgot the conditions part of this post: Aspects ridden s/se and n/nw. The later was between 2.5-3' blower powder with no base and the former was sun affected of the same depth, no base and hard to get moving. I dug a pit on the West Desolation ridge on the s/se aspect where the snow was mostly right side up, but did have some facets at the ground. At the top of the prominent peak (s/se face) I felt the entire pack settle as I reached the summit, this was likely relegated to the steep rollover into West Deso proper.
Looks like its gonna get manky

My first line, s/se facing

I skinned up the north facing for my third line and exit shot. My first and second lines looking w/nw

Not my line, but very aesthetic work

Fun pano

Pokey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 am 

Early morning mission up Flagstaff and down the Emmas.

I was hoping to find some softer snow by hugging SE on the way down... it was still soft up high, but below 9000 feet everything on the S had a crust from yesterday.

Still lots of soft snow of the north, although shallow with that pockety facet/sun crust from October.

A couple pictures from this morning...

Classic sunrise

Going down

Good way to start the morning

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:24 pm 

Hey Logan! Good to see you still getting after it.
As the lone Bountiful SB.com rep (probably a lie) I am reporting in to say that the BC in Bountiful sucks. Better go practice my dancing instead. :disco: Snow was fine. Deep but fine. So fine that it moved out of the way at every chance and readily exposed all the rocks, and I mowed a bit of grass too.
But honestly, I took my wife and daughter (8) just up to the B this last weekend, and we got after it two days in a row. Results are mixed from my 8 year old, who is so small and light that she could barely get around. I broke trail both days, because I needed the exercise and girls are slow. :D When you are tiny, you get face shots easy, and that was the case for my daughter. She spent most of two days on her face. I think she needs professional instruction, so when we go to Snowbird, or wherever, she will get a day or three with a pro instructor on her board.
Since it was shark fin season, my wife and I brought junk gear, and paid dearly for it on day one. She forgot to check the bindings on hers, early season mistake. Didn't fit, somehow. :thumbsdown: She didn't ride on day one, only snowshoes. I brought a board too small, and spent the day pinballing off rocks at the bottom of the powder. Not the shots I was hoping for. My daughter couldn't keep her skis straight and pointed downhill, despite hundreds of hours of instruction last year.
Day two, I remounted wife's skis. I got my daughter a snowboard and gave rudimentary (or just rude) instruction in the neighbor's yard. I brought out a bigger board. Another foot and half seemed to have fallen, and all but erased tracks from the day before. I broke trail again. I still submarined, but not as bad. Daughter had more fun, but new troubles, trying not to turn to face downhill and faceplant a thousand times. Wife got turns, and was happy, but hates her skis, too skinny. I think they are fence fodder. :wink:
Planted a seed for a snowmobile, so we can get backyard tracks without bumming a ride up skyline drive. Seed is growing.
Meanwhile, I am ready for some BCC or LCC tours, but I work in Ogden now, so hours are limited. Such is life.
That's all the news that's fit to print from the B.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:17 pm 

Ryan and I went up Reynolds Peak. No instabilities noted. We were pretty sure it would be tracked out and a nice heat crust. Were we wrong! Nice consolidated snow. Smooth like butter.

Starting the skin

We found some good lines on the back side as well.

Right before we dropped in the little tree chute on the lookers right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm 

dentedvw wrote:
Results are mixed from my 8 year old, who is so small and light that she could barely get around. I broke trail both days, because I needed the exercise and girls are slow. :D When you are tiny, you get face shots easy, and that was the case for my daughter. She spent most of two days on her face. I think she needs professional instruction, so when we go to Snowbird, or wherever, she will get a day or three with a pro instructor on her board.

Hey VW- sounds like you had a good day out with the family no matter these mishaps. I got my first face shot of the year when I was pulling my heel risers up and a skier turned towards me. :o I still liked it and got lots more of my own last weekend!

PM me for my info, I'm an instructor at the Bird and would love to take your daughter riding while you and your wife get out in LCC. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:34 pm 

should have listened to Al Gore...

raining up to 9000 feet or so. creamy above that if you can dodge the rocks and logs.
this week 2 years ago it was -10 and the snow was dry and deep :nononno:

guess it's time to pull the climbing stuff back out and put the board back up for awhile as there are no storms on track for as far as the models show. Hopefully things turn around, otherwise I most likely won't reside in UT much longer.

oh ps- the riding was actually really fun today :bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:23 pm 

the new snow made for some great turns today, maybe 8-10inches where I was at??

snowpack seemed pretty locked up, Figure 8 area, NE, 10k, ICT 27 stubborn at the ground on facets. also noticed some big ol graupel chunks mixed in at the ground...no instabilities/ collapsing etc.

uno, dos, tres

last run dropped from the top of milly lift, riding was great down to the car...Met a couple splitters who drove out from Vail, CO. to shred our snow...guess it could be worse :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:33 pm 

Does anyone have any beta on the coverage around Mt Raymond or Gobblers? Thinking of poking around there Thursday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next