Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm 

It is important to remember that AT boots of 'two “different” sizes will often be the same shell size with a different liner'.

See: http://gearx.com/blog/2010/09/17/a-quic ... ark-boots/
Quote:

A Quick Ski Boot Fit Guide for Alpine Touring and Telemark BootsSeptember 17, 2010
Posted By: Jef "Jefe" Post Categories : Gear Head Tags: alpine touring boots, Black Diamond, Crispi, Dynafit, Garmont, Lowa, Scarpa, sizing ski boots, telemark ski boots

Here’s something that I didn’t know about ski boots until I entered the industry: two “different” sizes will often be the same shell size with a different liner. Another thing that blows my mind: let’s say that I make a line of telemark boots and they tend to run narrow. My alpine touring boots might run wide, narrow, or average.

Over the years we here at the OGE have discovered some manufacturers tend to fit a certain way. If you are looking for a new ski boot and are not sure whether to size up, down, or check out another brand entirely, be sure to read on:

For a quick footwear sizing reference chart (US Mens/Womens, European, and Mondo point) click here.

AT Boot Fitting Guidelines

Some boots will fall outside of these guidelines

Average Width: Men (C, D) Women (B, C)

Wide: Men (D, E, EE)

Black Diamond (Salt Lake City, Utah) Shell size breaks on the whole size 26.0/26.5
Average/Wide Mid-foot
Average/Narrow Heel

Dynafit (Germany) Shell size breaks on the whole size 26.0/26.5
Average width throughout (Freeride boots- Zzeus, Titan)
Average/Narrow width throughout (Racing boots- TLT5)

Garmont (Treviso, Italy) Shell size breaks on the whole size 26.0/26.5
Most models are Narrow throughout
Exception: Radium boot fits Wide in heel, Average Mid-foot

Lowa (Germany) Shell size breaks on the whole size 26.0/26.5
MENS:
Average Width throughout
WOMENS:
Average/Narrow throughout

Scarpa (Asolo, Italy) Shell size breaks on the half size 25.5/26.0
Wide/high volume throughout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm 

So if you can get correct shell size and still need take to up some of the volume of the liner. Then heat mold the liner. If you still need more volume filled in consider the Eliminator Custom Tongue. see : http://www.masterfitenterprises.com/eliminator.html.

I note I wear an improved custom footbed as barrows suggested above
The added benefits with Eliminator were:
[*] Wear a 1/2 larger liner so that I could ride a comfortable toe box. Performance Fit for me is a 26.5 boot, so I wear a 27 mondo boot. I no longer had to crank the buckles down to get a proper fit.
[*] took up some of the volume around my skinny ankles and cavles.
[*] This tongue softened the forward lean for me in my boots, I did not have to modify the boots for forward lean.

So if got a new pair of boots and your in between sizes (as I was), find a shop that has these Eliminator Tongue and carpet test these inserts You will be suprised at how well the boot fits and softens the forward lean.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 pm 

I just got my TLT 5's in the mail (for $500 @ snowinn if anyone is looking for a good deal) and I'm looking to start my modifications. Here are my main thoughts and concerns:

1- Forward lean:
there is not nearly as much forward lean as I am used to. The new models have an adjustment where you change the height of the ski mode insert by unscrewing it and turning it around. Did this and still not enough forward lean. Also put spacers under the heelpiece of my binding to cant it forward. still not as much forward lean as my soft boot bindings. I haven't filed the ski mode hole yet and I was thinking about doing that and then shimming up the bottom of it so it rests a little higher. That would give a bit more forward lean. has anyone done this? I have not heard anything in these forums about making adjustment to this boot for more forward lean, so it must be enough for the riders who have posted here... is that the case?

2- Forward flex:
the other idea I have is replacing the top cuff velcro strap with masterfit's booster strap. This wold allow me (i believe) to simply leave the top buckle fairly loose while riding and rely more on the booster strap to determine the forward flex that i get. This might be beneficial instead of filing the ski mode hole up all the way through the top screw, as it seems like I would need to do to get the forward flex I'm looking for. Has anyone used the booster straps? I am wondering if I should get the 2 or 3 strap models, i weigh about 160 pounds. Also, how far have you needed to file up the ski mode hole in order to get the forward flex you need?

3- snowboard/ski boot:
I would also like to use this as a ski boot. This is part of the reason I don't want to file the ski mode hole all the way up through the top screw. I thought if I just filed it to the edge of the top screw I and then shimmed the bottom so it rests higher, I could still flip it upside down when skiing and have a much more vertical stance with stiff tongues. I am not a very good skier, my set up is for long tours with a pack over more moderate terrain. Do you think the more vertical orientation of the boot cuff would be good for this type of skiing. The other option is buying another "rear spoiler" as dynafit calls it (the green piece that the ski mode hole is in). On wild snow they say you can get a replacement part for this but It's not available on the web (that I have found), does anyone know where to get these or has anyone contacted the company about getting them?

I'm very excited about these boots, with a few mods they'll be better than any soft boot set up that I've had...

Also I would like that thank everyone on this forum. This is my first post but I have read it a bunch and learned a lot from yall. This page is the reason that I'm riding the TLT5's this year, and that was a really good decision. :bow:

-forrest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 pm 

Ride the boots first before deciding if you really need to make additional mods to increase the forward lean.
I ride with a small heel lift on the rear binding (about 3mm) as this puts my rear knee in a better position, and increases the lean slightly. I also increased the lean a little when I molded my Intuition liners, by leaning forward a bit during molding. As of now, I have plenty of lean, even when riding bulletproof 50 degree couloirs. For even more lean, one can shim the liner a little in the rear of the cuff with boot fitting foam, but beware, too much of this will hurt the touring performance. Of course, you could also fab up an alternative lean adjuster all together as another option.
You are going to want to slot the lean adjuster for good riding performance, just accept that. Then, get another pair of the lean bars from Dynafit/Salewa to use for skiing if you really have to ski. You can also use the stiff insert tongue for skiing, as that will stiffen up the forward flex considerably.
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by considering a Booster strap, they are heavy, and unnecessary. I remove the power strap and just rely on the top buckle to close the boot shell, lightweight and simple, just accept that you are going to want to slot the lean adjuster.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:55 pm 

Right! I just fabricate another lean adjuster. That's a great idea. This would probably be slotted though the top mounting screw zone... Do you think one bottom screw is sturdy enough?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm 

forrestanley wrote:
Right! I just fabricate another lean adjuster. That's a great idea. This would probably be slotted though the top mounting screw zone... Do you think one bottom screw is sturdy enough?

I have not seen the 12/13 TLT5 in person, and the new one is different than the last two years... so I cannot be sure. But, consider that there is really only going to be force on the lean bar at its bottom (considering it would be slotted most of the way up) I suspect that it will be fine. I do think the cuff would need to be closed snugly, as the entire mechanism gains strength with the cuff wrapped around it. I went through my top rivets slotting the bar on the previous version, and I believe karkis did as well... I have had no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm 

PSA: Wildsnow has an webpage on boot-fitting the TLT 5 : "Cinderella Ski Boot Fit"

http://www.wildsnow.com/8557/cinderella ... -boot-fit/

Nice Fit!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:16 pm 

Is anyone having problems with their heel lifters with their TLT5s? My voile heel lifters (on Spark adapters) work fine with my Spark softboot setup, but when I try to use them with my TLT5s, they 'flop' backwards.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone having better luck using G3s or Karakorum heel lifters?

It's not the end of the world, but it'd be nice to actually be able to use my heel lifters during tours.

Thanks for any input --

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm 

PSA* for used TLT5's. Not mine, just saw the post on mp.com.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/fs-dyn ... _107940194

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am 

Well, my TLTs (27.0) finally arrived. WOW just from walking around house! Seems to fit OK, which was a big concern. But it seems my right (and back) foot is bigger than my left one and I am not fully comfortable in the area just above the bottom buckle, right where the tongue curves... I guess this wolud be the Talus, just above the Navicular on this picture (that I posted in the topic about the One, where I had similar issue with the same foot):

Now, I am wondering how easy would be to punch/mold this area of the boot, because it feels like it will block some of the bloodflow and will be generally uncomfortable just because of this area of few cantimeters...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am 

moridinbg wrote:
Well, my TLTs (27.0) finally arrived. WOW just from walking around house! Seems to fit OK, which was a big concern. But it seems my right (and back) foot is bigger than my left one and I am not fully comfortable in the area just above the bottom buckle, right where the tongue curves... I guess this wolud be the Talus, just above the Navicular on this picture (that I posted in the topic about the One, where I had similar issue with the same foot):

Now, I am wondering how easy would be to punch/mold this area of the boot, because it feels like it will block some of the bloodflow and will be generally uncomfortable just because of this area of few cantimeters...

Have you gotten the liners molded? Also, proper foot support (custom insole made by someone who knows what they are doing) will eliminate many problems. My feeling is that boot fit should follow a course:
1. First, support the foot in a neutral position (custom footbed made right)
2. Mold the liner to accommodate your anatomy (by a trained bootfitter)
3. Make small changes to the liner to accommodate any problem areas remaining
4. and last resort, make shell mods (punch etc) to address any remaining problems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am 

I recently purchased Intuition Pro Tour Liners and had them molded at a local mountaineering shop. He added a small piece of foam prior to molding them to my foot at that spot to allow for better bloodflow. I also added some Sole SIgnature footbeds that I trimmed and molded myself. They fit is much much better than stock. The combo will set you back another $260 but its well worth it in my opinion.

https://intuitionliners.com/the-liners/pro-tour/

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/footbeds/signature-davenport/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm 

Crampons:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12839&p=109036#p109036

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next