Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm 

PSA: Ebay 2012 Dynafit TLT5 Mountain Womens Ski Boots // 25.5 8 Alpine Touring AT Liners for $359.99
see http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Dynafit-TLT5-Mountain-Womens-Ski-Boots-25-5-8-Alpine-Touring-AT-Liners-/160899159309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257656550d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:16 am 

Quote:
Betsy If I were in your shoes (boots) I would look at getting the women's TLT5

I think I might be missing something from this statement. Are you recommending the women's boots for a particular reason or did you mistake 'Besty' for 'Betsy' and think I'm a female. I have a feeling I'm going to opt for mens version if not for fit reasons then for upholding a sense of masculinity reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 am 

besty_split wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Plinko: I don't really mind scratches or the aesthetics of the boot (in other words I'd be a bad Ferrari owner who would never wash it). The real concern here is whether or not they will wear themselves to the point of unusable faster than other pairs of boots. And what does a worn-out-to-the-point-of-unusable look like in a ski boot? what happens?

From what I know, the most prone to wear are the rivets that attach the top cuff to the lower boot. I've heard it's more of an issue with the CF of the Performance version. I know guys have had good luck having them re-riveted to get rid of the slop, but for most users I don't think it will ever be an issue.

Before the TLT5's I owned 5 different generations of the SCARPA F1. Fit is obviously something personal, but for me the TLT5 feels so much more precise than any other boot I've tried. They made it seem like all the boots I've ever worn before were 2 sizes too big. They just feel dialed in. Obviously they're going to ski much better as well. One of the greatest features is the massive amount of articulation in walk / skin mode. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:23 pm 

My Bad.... eyes
Quote:
You mistake 'Besty' for 'Betsy' and think I'm a female.
Yes I mistook your name,... sorry.

None-the-less: both the TLT 5 and Scarpa F1s are great boots to try out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm 

No worries, it happens more than I like to admit. I'm having a hard time figuring out my sizes though. Maybe someone can give me some insight.

On my bigger foot the 26 is a little bit tight around my toes and a little bit tight on the top of my foot. I understand that the liners don't take to heat moulding really well so I'm not sure if the problems will be resolved that way. The thing is the shell size fits me "really well" says the boot fitter who I think is a pretty knowledgable guy. The 27's were the slightest bit big however and I could feel my heel lift a little. Another guy at the shop (also works at Intuition) told me that if I'm between sizes go with the bigger one and just replace their thin liner with a thicker one and presto chango I'll be all good.

My summarized questions are: Is filling up a little bit of space with a thicker inuition liner a good solution to being inbetween sizes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:16 pm 

besty_split wrote:
No worries, it happens more than I like to admit. I'm having a hard time figuring out my sizes though. Maybe someone can give me some insight.

On my bigger foot the 26 is a little bit tight around my toes and a little bit tight on the top of my foot. I understand that the liners don't take to heat moulding really well so I'm not sure if the problems will be resolved that way. The thing is the shell size fits me "really well" says the boot fitter who I think is a pretty knowledgable guy. The 27's were the slightest bit big however and I could feel my heel lift a little. Another guy at the shop (also works at Intuition) told me that if I'm between sizes go with the bigger one and just replace their thin liner with a thicker one and presto chango I'll be all good.

My summarized questions are: Is filling up a little bit of space with a thicker inuition liner a good solution to being inbetween sizes?

I would say "NO". If the shell fit is good, molding the liner should get you the room you need. A lot of the TLT5's high perfromance comes from the close shell fit, if you go up a shell size, you will likely lose performance. A good shop should guarantee the fit for you, or, allow you to mold the liner and then decide on fit. When fitting hard boots, always fit the shell size, and then adjust the liner to suit, never decide to go up a shell size when the smaller shell fits correctly. A sloppy fit sucks, will perform poorly, and will be uncomfortable, as your foot will end up moving around, creating friction, hot spots, and blisters.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm 

Quote:
I would say "NO".

Ok thanks. I tried on The One's briefly and thought that those 26s felt maybe better than the TLT5s in 26. They seem fairly soft, not tooo heavy, and their liner is slightly thicker, warmer, and more mouldable, right? Barrows, any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 pm 

I have not tried The ONE. It is heavier and stiffer than the TLT5, the stiffness would be good for skiing, but... weight sucks...literally
I suspect that The ONE could be made to ride pretty well, but it would likely require considerable mods to the cuff to soften it up laterally and medially. I find the TLT5 to be perfect for me, it is warm enough for single digit (F) temps, I have been out all day in it in temps that never went above about 6 degrees.
If I was heading to the Alaska Range, or the St. Elias again for an expedition, I would probably try and work up a warmer boot system though (and I would start with The ONE)-but only because I would want to be prepared for climbing and riding in temps reaching -20 F, and living in tents, for days on end. For everywhere else, the TLT5 works for me. Heck, some ski mountaineers have used the TLT5 for high altitude descents in the Himalaya...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:56 pm 

my opinion on fit is a bit different from what Barrows said here...
re performance fit, i think most ski boot fitters are tuned into getting skiers to fit for performance, which Barrows also talks about...
but in skiing its poor form to ride the backseat where as with shreddin you turn frontside half the time and if your fit is 'performance' your gonna get sore toes
with shell fitting 2 fingers space behind your heel with your toes touching the front of the shell is considered 'comfort' fitting, anything less (down to 1.5 fingers or sometimes less even) is 'performance'
go comfort! for snowboarding. yes a bigger shell size will weigh a touch more but warm feet and keepin your toe nails, those are good things. in any other sense 'performance' in a ski boot is way overkill for snowboarding. we're generally looking to reduce the performance of ski boots (mods to reduce the support of the boots)

edit to add, if you fit is pretty comfy but for the one toe, punching the boot for that toe might be the best solution, instead of going big and ending up sloppy. totally agree with Barrows that the stock liners in tlt5s should be warm enough for most situations, if the boot fits well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:02 pm 

besty_split wrote:

Pretty much did that and have been a happy camper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 pm 

To be a little more clear, think I am in agreement with karkis: in that what I think he is describing as "performance" fit, in an alpine ski boot is going to be pretty tight, with the toes actually touching the front of the boot, and, perhaps, one finger behind the heel in a shell fit. But, I would also suggest that a good shop, fitting an AT boot, will generally fit the shell with a little more room in terms of length (vs an alpine boot), as they should also be taking into consideration touring comfort, and warmth, as part of the equation in an AT boot, as opposed to an alpine ski boot.
For myself, for a shell fit in an AT boot, specifically the TLT5, in length I go for a little more than one finger behind the heel, with the toes gently touching the front of the shell, but not as much as two fingers room. Additionally, I make sure the forefoot has enough width, by standing in the shell, with my footbed in the shell, and making sure that there is enough width to not pinch my forefoot at all.
If the shell is too big, heel lift will be a problem, no matter how tight the buckles, and you will still get toe bang on heel side turns, as the the leverage will allow the foot to slide forward in the boot cramming the toes into the front of the boot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 am 

i agree that most sales folks would size an AT boot more comfortable than a DH boot but, in my opinion, for snowboarding a boot should be sized more comfortably than for an AT skier, and most ski boot fitters dont have any experience sizing ski boots for snowboarders. i went with a snug 2 fingers in the shell fit, works for me, no bang no slop, good comfort and warmth.
if you have much width in your foot the 'one' boot will fit better than the tlt5, also the buckles are better positioned (no need to mod em) and are also beefier, the one (lower buckle) on the tlt5 is pretty weak, most people do replace it. other than choppin the cuff on the 'one' you might be able to just extend the wire on the upper cuff (or the ladder it latches on to), then the boot would also ski really well when it has to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 am 

One other detail I would add when it comes to boot fit is the importance of a custom footbed, or at least a fine tuned aftermarket footbed, which properly posts the foot such that a neutral position is attained.
IME, 90% or more folks will have some degree of pronation, and will benefit from some varus support in the footbed. By properly posting the footbed, the foot will also become a little shorter and a little narrower (because before posting the foot was flattened out, collapsed). This is why I also like to test shell fit with the footbed in the boot.
A full on custom footbed is often not necessary to achieve good foot support, but I do recommend some kind of better footbed than that which is supplied with most boots. with some skill applied, relatively affordable moldable footbeds like Sole can work really well, even for people who may need additional posting. I add high density boot fitting foam to post my Sole footbeds, and this can work really well, avoiding the $200 price a good full custom footbed can cost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next