Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Donek Splitboard coming soon!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:38 pm 

It's built and on the snow. Did a post assembly shake down day and it performed better than I anticipated. Skins are trimmed and Berthoud will be getting a visit tomorrow. Some pics here at the Donek facebook page https://www.facebook.com/donek.snowboards Think Snow!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:19 am 

Everything that I had hope for came to fruition with this deck. This setup is coming in several pounds lighter than my previous Prior 4wd split and this reduction is much appreciated. The huge VSR sidecut (7m tip-15m tail) allows a variety of turn sizes and shapes unmatched by any other board, tight trees to wide open full throttle faces, nothing trips it up. I have been putting the deck into every imaginable crap situation that the Berthoud Pass backcountry has to offer and have been extremely pleased with the performance of this splitboard. Durable, light, unmatched performance,concieved built and tested here in Colorado. Think Snow!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm 

Very nice!!!!!

Just a quick question, have you considered the Dynafit toe pieces? I use the Bomber Sidewinders as well---and I think they are a great binding---but they stay in my pack until the descent. I have been quite impressed with the Dynafit toe pieces--and they keep the board weight down on the uphill. I have been impressed enough that I just bought a pair of the Plum Guide bindings from a friend---and I will likely direct mount both the toe and heel pieces onto my board (as soon as I can muster up enough courage).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:57 am 

I am usually riding a big race deck with a big radius, I never change boots and currently running a Raichle/Dee Luxe Indy(Alpine snowboard race boot) always. I know its a weight penality but this set up is familiar and comfortable to me. I never did weigh my Prior split but it was fairly beefy (174 4wd split) and in crappy snow conditions it was a handful. The Sidewinders are new to me, I run the regular TD3 on my race decks. I have looked at the Dynafit system and it is bad ass, maybe next year. The board is sub 7lb with clips, as built with Voile bits and Sidewinders, it just shy of 11 lb! Heading to Berthoud! Think Snow!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am 

13 days in on the Nomad, all at Berthoud. This board brings nothing but smiles. I have pounded it through every imaginable situation possible and it's good but not yet great. The superlite build allows the board to twist and flex just a bit too much and the nose (rocker) needs some modification to give is some more gusto, it plows a bit to much at slow speeds. So that being said, build #2 is going to gain some weight, probably in the neighborhood of .5 to 1 lb gain, which will still be sub 8lb for the deck and clips. Hoping to get build #2 underway in a few weeks. Off to Berthoud. Think Snow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 pm 

Have had to ski out Seven Mile Creek in tele mode a bunch and they work great as free heel skis, have gone over the nose a few times, quite humbling but always a leaning experience. Literally teaching a old dog new tricks but the work great a skis and this is pretty useful on some of the long run outs with lots of fresh. This deck is wracking up miles and working very well. Dumping on Berthoud time to get out and ride.

Think Snow!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:41 am 

Last flight of the Nomad Split! Heading to North Park, Cameron Pass and RMNP to blast what is left of the our snow here in Colorado. A glutton for punishment I am, but and aerial survey a few days ago leads me to believe the the is still some goods to be had. Maybe 30 days on this board this season, it does have a few shortcoming but very few, tweaks have been made and now for the summer long wait until Ullr fires it up for the 12/13 riding season. Think Snow!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

Uber light is nice but as is commonly known, ultralight weight comes at the price of durability. Last season the Nomad suffered a failure on the left ski or half right in front of the binding in what is called a line failure. This by no means was a catastrophic failure and was able to endure 30+ more days of riding without failing completely. The board is still rideable today but will be retired in the name of R&D. The second Ultralight Nomad is going to gain some weight in the name of durability but will still be probably one of the lighter if not the lightest split offering out there. Sean also has some other tricks/tech up his sleeve for this next attempt. Think Snow!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 am 

I am not familiar with the term "line failure." Can you explain more about how the board broke and perhaps post a pic?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 pm 

Basically it a small section of the carbon topsheet that has delamed from the board and is puckered or lifted. The board took a couple of pretty hard shots first day out. One of them was hard enough to shove the nose of board up hard enough to damage the top right along the front of the voile slider where it impacted. Almost next to impossible to see in pic but I will try taking some more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 pm 

New Donek splitty build step by step pictorial. Going to walk you through the build from start to finish and it all starts here with a book matched core with side sticks in place, insert hole and profiling complete.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 pm 

New Donek splitty build step by step pictorial. Going to walk you through the build from start to finish and it all starts here with a book matched core with side sticks in place, insert hole and profiling complete.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 am 

Unfortunately i seem to be really hard on boards here in the land of sparse snow, this is why i can't justify a beautiful board like this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next