Poll ended at Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:25 am
1. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
2. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
3. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
4. 68%  68%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:19 pm 

wow, ya misanthrope. when i visit the site i think there is a sense of community. in fact the splitfest's are all about the bc community, i think?

Post subject: misanthrope's unite!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:53 pm 

Quote:
cause the snow and terrain rocks and to get as far away from the masses as possible. I sure don't care whether the "sport" becomes more popular, on the contrary I hope it's too much work for most

I've been itching to get backcountry tracks for 25 years, and and for the past 2-3 years am finally in a position to get some. The recent "mainstreaming" of backcountry skiing/riding has me wondering if i don't agree with HuFfer. He may be a misanthrope, but fresh tracks and no crowds definitely has its appeal. And i think that's why most of us are out there.
I don't however feel that this is contrary to the community we've ( or BCRider) have created on the web.

Misanthrope Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 pm 

Bah, clowns! Just cause I don't want to turn the BC into another circus doesn't mean I'm a hater. :roll:

If an elite little clique want to have a cute little splitfest, sweet, but again I don't see the need to create some lovey "lets expand our happy little community" attitude. It'll happen anyway why speed up the process? Compared to 5-6 years ago it's already grown leaps and bounds...

We all have something in common already (at least I think) we love the solitude of the BC and riding a snowboard, why change that? Discussing these passions online makes it a "community" by default, why use it as a selling feature? Is there some sort of $$$ gain by bringing in the masses? I hope not... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:36 pm 

huffer, i am just giving you a hard time about being a people hater. i pretty much agree with everything you are saying. i do not think a lot of people will ever be into the bc, it's to hard, but the #'s are growing. i am torn with pushing/promoting the sport vs. protecting and saving what there is. i live in the middle of nowhere so i don't deal w/crowds in the bc. on a busy day i might see 10 people on a saturday, but daily maybe one or two, if any. i would like some better, lighter,faster, more efficient..etc equipement and for this to happen the demand needs to increase(people in the bc) to push r&d, ohhh , then i have to share the mtns. the balancing act, huh, got any answers? maybe pump up the hand gun market for the nations youth, i might be on to something. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:03 pm 

I meant that as a compliment! :P I've despised all of humanity ever since 1000 other kooks started showing up for crappy, closed-out, 3-foot Linda Mar sessions a few Summers ago.

I think the secret is to convert tele and rando people to splitboarding. No extra people, but better gear for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:00 pm 

Thanks for all the votes on the ads splitters! 8)
I've given it some thought and decided to go with the ad below.

The clean number 4 was the official winner of the poll but I felt that I needed to describe more about the site with this ad. The analogy I'll give is how Couloir mag approaches their covers. They offer a “nakedâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 pm 

ttriche wrote:
I hope that, like Couloir, you will be running ads monthly and thus have some opportunity to experiment... I'll leave it at that ;-)

does this mean you dont like the ad?

ps. check yer PMs. :)

Post subject: Re: misanthrope's unite!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:21 pm 

InTheMountains wrote:
I've been itching to get backcountry tracks for 25 years, and and for the past 2-3 years am finally in a position to get some. The recent "mainstreaming" of backcountry skiing/riding has me wondering if i don't agree with HuFfer.

Here's a hint: if you feel that way, you are a hypocrite.

If you want to get away from the crowds, do so. Go harder, go more remote, go riskier... as people see through the money grab that is the resorts, low-commitment and classic tours will see more traffic, but if you have the drive to go multiday you will always be able to find some solitude.

I'm not impressed with HuFfer's position. Avalanches and a requirement for earning your turns in the wilderness should be plenty to keep the crowds away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:09 am 

Quote:
if you feel that way, you are a hypocrite.

ya, and?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:41 am 

InTheMountains wrote:
Quote:
if you feel that way, you are a hypocrite.

ya, and?

Presenting hypocrisy as a philosophy is inherently difficult. It's also unconvincing -- why should anyone in a position to do so, not take advantage of you, if your personal philosophy boils down to "I'm special"?

Doubly so for a johnny-come-lately who resents the recent boom. You ARE the recent boom, remember? Have fun with your self-loathing.

Post subject: Re: misanthrope's unite!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:42 am 

ttriche wrote:

I'm not impressed with HuFfer's position. Avalanches and a requirement for earning your turns in the wilderness should be plenty to keep the crowds away.

Seriously doubt he was trying to impress you or anyone else ~ What's with the LA attitude anyway, are we all here to impress you lance? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 pm 

WARNING! reading the following drivel is a tremendous waste of time that you will never get back!!! Run quickly the opposite direction!

Just a reminder this is the statement that started my rebuttal:
Quote:
It's our DUTY to spread the WORD!!!

ttriche-
Impress you? I'm not tryin to win any popularity contests and, not that I have a problem with it, but I don't "swing" that way...

Since when does the fear of avalanches keep most newbies from starting up/ headin out? Ignorance is bliss... besides what's wrong with a little "natural selection"? :twisted:

Quote:
If you want to get away from the crowds, do so. Go harder, go more remote, go riskier... as people see through the money grab that is the resorts, low-commitment and classic tours will see more traffic, but if you have the drive to go multiday you will always be able to find some solitude.

You're a real badass aren't you? Really out there doin it. :roll: Your point is obvious but very short sighted. As the most accessible stuff gets overused there will be more and more people pushin further out there lookin for the "new" hotspots. It's happening right now... I don't know about you but in 20 or so years these big commitment days are gonna start to be simply too much, wouldn't it be nice to return to some of the less demanding hotspots and still find bliss?

bcrider-

Why did you even do a pole if you were going to ignore the 60+% of the opinion and run with 12%? seems silly.

You are right, resorts are crowded and for the most part the BC is not but it sure has changed a lot in the last decade... and once again the advice of "go further " is short sighted.

Perhaps an analogy will help convey my opinion... A decade ago you could role up into the Source Lake area of Snoqualmie Pass head up and dink around on some of the easily (and not so easy) accessible ice climbs. You might see one other groups through out the day but for the most part it was easy to avoid. Head out their now and you have people climbing below you, on top of you, waiting in line, dogs, kids, etc. It sucks. Why? Because the gear companys have dramaticly improved the equipment, it's "cool", it's "safer" and it's "easier". Bolted sportclimbing might be another example... These might be a bit extreme compared to what will happen to our stashes but it is and will happen. Why is it "our duty" to facilitate it?

And why won't you elaborate on why you want the market to grow? waste of time? or do you have alternate motives? $$$, popularity, perhaps? I have seen some of the threads about making spiltting a career... I guess as long as you remain true to yourself what does my opinion matter. (it doesn't :wink: )

I realize I would benefit from making BC splitting popular as well. I don't think my Voile Freeride is really all that great and would love to have a better setup/more choices but right now it's not easily available. Certainly the masses would justify the $$$ it would take for R&D to make this happen but I would rather get by and improve it myself than make splitting "popular". I have seen some impressive ideas being put into fruition on this site...

I know my opinion isn't mainstream yet I'll continue to voice it until I'm "not allowed". I think splitboard.com serves a purpose (obviously, I'm here...) but I just don't get the desire to make our usergroup bigger. In my opinion it would hurt more than it would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:28 pm 

huFfer wrote:
Just a reminder this is the statement that started my rebuttal...ttriche wrote: It's our DUTY to spread the WORD!!!

Not speaking for ttriche but I interpret this to mean, it's our duty to spread the word that there is a better way for snowboarders to get self-propelled turns in the backcountry than with snowshoes or approach skis. In most scenarios, a splitboard is the best option. Had somebody pointed this out to me 10 years ago it would have saved me some pain and suffering and allowed me to cover more terrain. I woulda been stoked. 8)

huFfer wrote:
ttriche-
Impress you? I'm not tryin to win any popularity contests

Don't read it so literal…its just that the whole “the bc is too crowdedâ€Â