Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions for big guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hey guys awesome forum you have here some pretty knowledgable bros it seems so I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am wanting to get my first split this year but only have access to a couple boards and I don't know if they will work for me. My friends got a jones solution 168w and my other buddy has a prior khyber in the mid 160's as well. Thing is they are both at least 40lbs less than me, I weigh between 220-240 depending on how often I get my climbing and riding in. I am also 6'2" so I am taller than they are to. Do you think either of those boards would be worth trying or should I buy something else? I am no stranger to the backcountry just to splitboards so I know that the investment will be well worth it and money is not an issue, well as long as I'm not spending over 3,000 but most set-ups I see are about half that so basically given my stats what board would you guys recommend? I like the looks of the new jones solution so if the 168w would work for someone my size that would be sweet but I don't want a board that looks killer but is poorly suited for my size. Anyway thanks for reading and I appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for big guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:26 pm 

Oh also my boot size is an 11 for width issues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 pm 

I'm 190 minus pack, probably 215 with a pack and i ride a 168w Rossi experience. I love the way this board rides and plan on splitting it. A buddy whom is lighter than i yet taller, rides 180's. Go custom and go big.
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:39 pm 

You are a big guy and you need a proportionally big board. There aren't many split boards made for people your (and my) size.

My top rec for a production split is the the Venture Storm 181/27. It's got enough nose rocker and surface area to float you reasonably well. Plus, with its rocker tail and too-generous sidecut, it's a super-forgiving easy turner--which will make transitioning to a longer deck a total breeze (if you're even worried about that--you shouldn't be). And it's very well built and will last a really long time.

Prior makes the backcountry and spearheads splits in 176 and 178, respectively too. Also good boards--not as bomber as Venture in the construction department, but very high-quality decks nonetheless.

Another option is to get a fully custom Donek--built to your exact desired specs--for around the same price. Also very well-built and well-designed boards. (I did: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11094&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)

Another option is to buy a longer solid deck and split it yourself. Lib Tech (birdman, skunk ape), Radair, Pogo, Prior and others make solid decks in longer lengths and wider widths that can be had new or used and then split.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 pm 

hmm I dont think I would want to go the Donek route simply for the wait time on the board. My buddies were talking about getting a trip going in about three weeks so I wanted to get this in the next couple weeks so I could at least try it out once or twice before taking into the real stuff. I will have to look into the venture's as I have heard they are pretty legit. I just feel like a board in the 180's is so long...I would hate to order one that big and not like the way it handles. I thought my buddies 168 was a long board as I use a 162 currently, granted I wanted to go longer than a 162 just wasn't thinking it would be a 19cm jump lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 am 

Keep in mind most 180 size boards have the effective edge of a twin around 170 or even less in some cases but they have a longer nose for float. Dont be scared of them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:09 am 

A guy your size trying to float on a board as small as 160-163 lol... Take out a ruler and have a look, 19cm really isn't that much :) . It's not much weight on the nose and your not going to be gouging it on trees or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 am 

I'm 6'2" 200 lbs, and ride a Jones Solution in the 168w, I also have a Flagship in the 168w. I have ridden the 163w a lot and like it a lot. The 163w provides plenty of float for my size and is maneuverable in tight spots. However, I prefer a longer effective edge for more stability at high speeds and the 168w is perfect for this. I also wear a size 12 boot and haven't had any issues with drag in this width. The rocker on these boards and the blunt nose design, offer more float than regular camber boards where length is your only help for float.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:52 am 

One thing to factor in is the type of snow you'll be riding.

I'm 6'4 and currently at 210lbs without any gear on. Last year I was on a 178 Prior Spearhead which was an excellent board and gave me plenty of float and speed here in the Wasatch.

However, when I do the occassional trip to the PNW or Sierra, I use either a 169 NeverSummer or a 170 Khyber and both do well. I don't often ride either board here in Utah before spring but they ride nice on the heavier west coast stuff midwinter.

If I primarily skied the western stuff I would probably take a look at the Jones in 168W. For where I live, it just doesn't cut it.

BTW, I've ordered a custom Donek in a 175 length with a 275 waist, I'm interested to see how the additional width manages for float even on a shorter board.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm 

per what shredgnar said I looked at the profile on the jones solution and I can see where the rockered tips woould provide better float over traditional cambered boards I just wonder if it is enough to outweigh the float provided by a longer board in the 180's or high 170's...idk choices i suppose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

oh and as for snow conditions I plan on moving to california next year right outside tahoe so that will be my main terrain soon...but the trip were taking is to AK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm 

If a 162 does well for you at the resort, a 168 (or the Venture 171) should be fine with the added weight of a pack, especially if you get a directional board. Everyone has their preferences, but I can't see how people ride boards in the 170-180 range, unless you're riding nothing but big, open pow fields. I don't care what size you are, those can't be very maneuverable in trees or steep, techy terrain.
FYI I'm 6'2, 200, and I just upgraded from a directional, cambered 165 to a 167 rockered twin tip. If I were to pack on lbs. (this is the heaviest I've ever been, for years couldn't crack 185) I'd just go stiffer, not longer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:45 pm 

Im 6'2" 185 and a venture zephyr 64 is more than enough for me.

I don't know whey everybody needs these boats. My solid is a T.Rice 61.5. I get it that longer is more stable, but I can point it on the steeps and still have the maneuverability to take it in the tight trees.