Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening weekend maybe?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 am 

For me that is. I know a few of you have already hit up the California split scene. Im hoping the east side will be ridaable this saturday. Any takers?

Post subject: Re: Opening weekend maybe?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm 

Not sure how things look up the hill, but things in the Owens valley look LEAN. Backpacked to 11K last weekend and had a hard time finding enough snow for even the dogs to enjoy. Anybody from Mammoth care to chime in with conditions further North? TIA

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm 

I know MaxPower has been poaching some stuff adjacent the ski area, but I believe it's warmed up a bit since. His shots of the crest, etc. looked pretty thin. I wouldn't plan on driving up just yet... :cry:

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewt ... &start=420

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 pm 

Models are showing some promising signs mid month and just before thanksgiving...but they're just models. Hopefully they pan out to some extent. This little storm coming in this week is gonna cold so what accumulates is gonna be super fluffy and not great for building a base. I'd hold off. I'm hoping Thanksgiving lives up to it's name :)
I missed out on Tahoe's nice dump. I here there's still a good base on high N/NE faces around the lake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm 

the early stuff (storm 2 weeks ago, and then this week's storm forecast) has been favoring more northern Sierra than eastside.

That'll change at some point, but for the while Tex, it seems saving the gas money and rippin the wakeboard or whatever is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm 

^^^ I love seeing those kinds of statements from folks "off the hill" Its precisely the reason why most locals love the "in between season" the best.... Btw the fresh snow on the changing aspens is so beautiful this time of the year! Ill be out this weekend checkin out "the hype"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 pm 

I'll be out poking around, sticking to mellow slopes that I know what's underneath (pumice). :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 pm 

Scored some quality turns in Tahoe yesterday, but dodged lots of visible rocks (and hit a few that were not so visible. With the forecast calling for blower pow, there's gonna be lots of sharks lurking. Don't know if I'd trust it unless this storm overachieves.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:50 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
^^^ I love seeing those kinds of statements from folks "off the hill" Its precisely the reason why most locals love the "in between season" the best.... Btw the fresh snow on the changing aspens is so beautiful this time of the year! Ill be out this weekend checkin out "the hype"

Don't get me wrong A, I'll be out poking around the Tahoe basin too.

But dude, gas at $4.30 a gallon from San Diego, for Eastside that got less snow last storm than Tahoe, with blower snow forecasted to fall on top of rocks on the Eastside ...

It's a different kind of math for locals like you than for dudes who have to drive a long ass way to get the goods. That's all, and that's exactly why the tweener seasons are so good for locals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm 

Anyone have plans this weekend on the northside (Truckee area?). I'm down to go dodge some sharks on Saturday. Need a wingman?

Gotta work on Friday till 3pm, will probably try and go make a lap on TD to see what dropped above 7k. I'm currently thinking the runs they groomed at Sugar Bowl on Disney might be the best bet for Sat morning, I could be way off though.

Spark Burners

Splitboarding is the answer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 pm 

Exactly Schralp. I sorta like to wait til "it's on" to get out. That way I don't do something stupid to my body or my equipment before the season even starts. This current storm with cold, light, fluffy snow is a good reason to be cautious. I'm also way more cautious and sort of a pussy more than most people when it comes to rocks. Rocks hurt! Plus, I never think back and reminisce about the first thin days of any season.

Fyi, just looked and there's a possible "it's on" storm around the 18th. Please, please, please.... :bananas:
http://weather.hawaii.edu/models/models ... imginfo=On

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 am 

Tex is famous for trying to start too early. He will be sitting this weekend out. Buying a rooftop box for the Subie instaed of gasoline . He will also be enjoying sunday at the lake on some liquid powder. This storm has the surf all hacked out so surfings out. Gotta do something for fun
Tex will be watching the proposed BGNight storm with high hopes

soon my friends soon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

Eyeing next weekendish. The temps between the current storm and last storm just about melted any base. Hopefully whats dropping now is still there for the next storm then im up there. Cannot wait for an actual think front instead of these broken up cells!