Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Legalize the weed and I'll say thank heavens.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 pm 

ieism wrote:
What exactly would be the difference for you when weed is legalized?

A lot, I've dealt with chronic pain issues for 20 years. I have doctor prescribed opiates, but I do not wish to spend my life dependent on them. I am able to cope with my pain with the aid of cannabis.
It would be expensive and inconvenient to medicate thru clubs.
A large outdoor garden would allow me to eat cannabis. At this point I am mostly limited to smoking it due to economic factors.

I'd rather sit on my back porch in a rocking chair smiling at the ladies. Which I believe is my inalienable right. Right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. :doobie:

Jefe, I concur :doobie:
Fellow splitters thanks for your thoughts
Pedro, WTF, who shat in your cheerios?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:36 pm 

rmchi wrote:
Pretty much everyone across the political spectrum agrees... it's time to end the immoral, corrupt drug war and stop putting people in prison for non-violent drug crimes - particularly for marijuana charges. Over 50% of the current prison population doing time for drug charges is because of marijuana laws.
Over a trillion dollars spent and what has it accomplished? I think change is in the air. It's only a matter of time before enough people speak out and vote accordingly to put a stop to it.

100% agreed.
Bill Hicks said, "making pot illegal is like saying God made a mistake."
At the same time, I call bullshit on the idea that weed is the great cure-all of humanity. I used to believe all that "free your mind" shit too. I read Huxley, Leary, Castaneda, McKenna. I ingested loads of every mind altering substance I could find. In the end all drugs ever really got me into was rehab. I'm not against drug use, but as a route to enlightenment they're simply a dead end. No regrets, I did learn some things: question authority, question my own assumptions and perceptions, deeper appreciation for the genius of Mel Brooks.
I used to know a bunch of vegetarian junkies, now that's some cognitive dissonance.

Yes our system is fucked up, agreed. But not participating and not voting makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm 

Considering herb can remain in your system for up to 30 days, fat cells I believe, what good is a blood test going to do? Other than indicate you've smoked within the last month...anyone know?

I think Arnold decriminalized up to an ounce in CA and growing is no problem with some provisions. I'd rather keep the government out of it anymore than they already are...there's not much they do well now :soapbox:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:18 pm 

As long as weed is bought, weed will be sold; society's choice is who gets the cash. The ever-failing Drug War, which costs taxpayers billions in useless enforcement, courts and prison, gives cartels the cash, with which they do truly horrific shit.

This is plainly stupid public policy.

Decriminalizing, regulating and taxing weed could:

1. Turn billions of cartel revenue into public revenue;
2. Save billions in enforcement, courts and prison;
3. Provide public revenue for treatment (unhealthy, society-sucking weed addiction exists);
4. Provide a wellspring of public revenue for all sorts of public good;
5. Facilitate a more stable and profitable agricultural sector throughout the Americas by way of weed and hemp production;
6. Realize many social and environmental benefits by replacing our consumption of numerous resources with hemp.

I really dislike smoking weed, but on the totem pole of fatally irresponsible U.S. policy corruption (yes, it is corruption), the failure to federally decriminalize, regulate and tax weed ranks just below the failure to aggressively regulate greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act and, at very the top of that totem pole, the U.S. Forest Service's mindlessly abhorrent administration of Alta's Special Use Permit.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 pm 

chrishami wrote:
rmchi wrote:
I call bullshit on the idea that weed is the great cure-all of humanity. I used to believe all that "free your mind" shit too. I read Huxley, Leary, Castaneda, McKenna. I ingested loads of every mind altering substance I could find. In the end all drugs ever really got me into was rehab. I'm not against drug use, but as a route to enlightenment they're simply a dead end. No regrets, I did learn some things: question authority, question my own assumptions and perceptions

Yes our system is fucked up, agreed. But not participating and not voting makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

No one is saying smoking weed is going to make you enlightened. It's just a tool to alter the way you think about things, which can lead to enlightenment if that's something one might choose to pursue. No one NEEDS weed or shrooms but they can help someone wake up to the world around them. You said it yourself: Question authority. An open, questioning mind is the biggest threat to the system.

And participating in a corrupt and evil charade makes you the root cause of the problem. Elections only provide you with an illusion of choice. If voting changed anything it'd be illegal. The state only exists because we give it power. It's a voluntary entity. It can't exist without our compliance. Like you said: "OUR SYSTEM IS FUCKED UP". Stop feeding it!

Lol sorry, I have to disagree on something or else this thread is useless. After all, it's a thread full of snowboarders voicing their opinions on whether weed should be legal! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm 

Weed makes me paranoid as shit. Last thing I want to do is drop into a hairy line. Thus I do not smoke weed anymore! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am 

BGnight wrote:

Lol sorry, I have to disagree on something or else this thread is useless. After all, it's a thread full of snowboarders voicing their opinions on whether weed should be legal! :lol:

Haha, true enough. We're arguing about this shit even though we all (at least in this thread) agree on legalization.

Arguing over nothing is just what happens to me when the San Juans and the Sangres have no goddamned snow on November 1 and West-fucking Virginia has 30 plus inches.
:nononno:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am 

splitboard.com is always kinda angry September thru November, then it perks up. :banghead:

Wonder why that is... :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am 

Pedro for President!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am 

DrownedRat, your link provides a lot of useful information that I didn't know about the bill. However, the study, in the part regarding waiting a few hours before driving for your blood level to drop, doesn't really say much at all. 24 hours isn't a few hours. There's a huge range in the amount the subjects smoke, and lots of possibilities for when they last smoked, even for the more than half that smoked in the past 24 hours. Near-daily also makes for a lot of variation; the 9 who had no positive test could have not smoked in the past 24 hours. There could be 12 who didn't even smoke in the past 24 hours, and if only 9 had no positive test, couldn't that be interpreted negatively? The one person only dropped 4.1% overnight. The statistics of the study can be interpreted many ways.

In the article I mentioned, but still can't find :banghead:, I remember the one subject smoked a moderate amount of marijuana and took a blood test 5 hours later and still tested 6 or 7 times the legal limit. With one subject, this one is probably less reliable than the one cited in your link, but it shows that there is probably much variation in people and what causes them to reach the legal limit.

Quote:
You can already get a DUI already for weed. If think not, you really should to read the DUI laws. 502 sets a legal standard that has to met for a conviction. Do you really want a conviction based on a cop's feeling towards you or a standard that has to be met?

Obviously, I know you can get a DUI for marijuana. But it says in your link that "I-502...does not change the legal requirements that must be met before a police officer can take a driver to a medical professional for a blood test." I don't know exactly what the guidelines entail, but apparently I-502 wouldn't be doing anything towards that. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I was pulled over one night and my car smelled like pot. The officers told me multiple times they had the right to arrest me, search my vehicle, etc...but then they asked for permission to do a search. I said no, and they let me go because I didn't appear high. So obviously, there are some guidelines in place that are somewhat liberal.

I want marijuana prohibition ended, however I would prefer we do it right the first time. I don't think the federal government will just stand by while this happens, so they are either going to change their laws or begin to prosecute people in states that have legalized/decriminalized. Which is more likely? What does history show? While these new initiatives have certainly done a lot to raise awareness about marijuana prohibition, I'm not sure its going to be the best step for the activists who are willing to open shops, grow openly, etc once these laws are in place. I'm fairly well acquainted with a dispensary owner who shop got raided back in March. He's facing quite some legal ramifications, but he's back at it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm 

idtmcp542 wrote:

I want marijuana prohibition ended, however I would prefer we do it right the first time. I don't think the federal government will just stand by while this happens, so they are either going to change their laws or begin to prosecute people in states that have legalized/decriminalized. Which is more likely? What does history show? While these new initiatives have certainly done a lot to raise awareness about marijuana prohibition, I'm not sure its going to be the best step for the activists who are willing to open shops, grow openly, etc once these laws are in place. I'm fairly well acquainted with a dispensary owner who shop got raided back in March. He's facing quite some legal ramifications, but he's back at it again.

Just speaking towards Colorado but I believe the Feds have only shut down dispensaries that were in violation of state law. I agree there will still be obstacles to overcome for those who wish to persue a career in marijuana cultivation. However, thats a small amount of people compared to the number of people who consume marijuana and would be benefitted by this law. But to speak to points others made you have to get the ball rolling somewhere. It would be politcal suicide for someone in Washington to come out in favor of country wide legalization. Start at the state level, get some data together about the affects (revenue generation, job creation, abuse rates, etc...) and then build on a bigger scale.

Here in Colorado its a big deal for the average person. Growing small amounts for personal use would become legal. The feds aren't going to be going around busting people growing 3-6 plants. Just wouldn't be possible. So you could now legally grow your own and not have to fear the backlash. For the average citizen in Colorado its a pretty big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:23 pm 

I found this vid to be very helpful in understanding marijuana

neurons that just keep firing can lead you on both productive and dead end pursuits. wished I would have seen this years ago, always wondered why some ideas just didn't hold up when I was not high

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm 

tax revenues and the benefits of hemp production aside, I think the most important thing to society is to stop turning peaceful & productive citizens into permanently branded private prison fodder.
the feds will not give up this cash-cow of untraceable money for covert ops and legit cashflow supporting the judicial system in this country of lawyers, by lawyers for lawyers :banghead:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next