Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Legalize the weed and I'll say thank heavens.

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Legalize the weed and I'll say thank heavens.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:37 pm 

and IMO therein lies the true reason that the government will remain opposed as long as possible: the prohibition of cannabis is probably the single largest individual concept of law feeding the prison/legal industrial complex.

the loss of law enforcement and correctional officer jobs, the closing of prisons, the loss of dollars into the judicial system - they're afraid of the vacuum it would create. there isn't enough real crime (that they could actually catch) for them to all keep their jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 pm 

Amen Chronic, already voted yes by mail!

Looking forward to getting out on the skin track and sharing some headies with ya when the snow flies.

:doobie: :doobie: :doobie:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 pm 

Free your mind, and the rest will follow

Please no En Vogue quotes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 am 

What exactly would be the difference for you when weed is legalized? I assume you can already buy and smoke it now...

I've been living in a country were weed's been legal for as long as I can remember, but not many people I know smoke the stuff. It's more for teenagers here I suppose. I'm not agains it though.

The positive of legalisation in my opinion is that you don't have to go to some shady drugdealer to get a smoke, you can just buy it in the shop.

One of the drawback I think is that weed is addictive to some extend. We may have less problems with people addicted to weed here, but there are still plenty of kids who smoke way too much and end up addicted. And because we have such a long culture of growing and smoking weed, the stuff has become way to potent for a kid or beginner. Our local weed is now more than twice as powerfull as when I was young, not a good idea if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 am 

Quote:
I heard Washingtons bill had a DUI enforceable blood detection limit? No Bueno! I will be voting yes on 64 in ColoRadbro though (even though I get hair tested at work :banghead: )

Yeah, I will be voting no on I-502 specifically for that reason. If someone partook in even a small morning sesh, they would probably be over the blood limit for the rest of the day, according to an article I was reading but cannot find.

Does anyone know how they will be doing the blood tests? We always joked that we didn't want some cop sticking a needle in your arm while semis drive by on the side of the freeway.

Quote:
What exactly would be the difference for you when weed is legalized? I assume you can already buy and smoke it now...

The difference comes from the 850,000 less Americans prosecuted every year for a ridiculous "crime." Or the millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on arresting, prosecuting, etc. Instead, why not earn money by taxing the industry? The fact that hemp is illegal to grow in this country, yet still legal to import, export, and manufacture, is beyond my explanation.

Quote:
and IMO therein lies the true reason that the government will remain opposed as long as possible: the prohibition of cannabis is probably the single largest individual concept of law feeding the prison/legal industrial complex.

the loss of law enforcement and correctional officer jobs, the closing of prisons, the loss of dollars into the judicial system - they're afraid of the vacuum it would create. there isn't enough real crime (that they could actually catch) for them to all keep their jobs.

Almost our entire prison system is privatized. I don't think, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, that the government would be losing a ton of funding for the judicial system. Just the assholes who run the private prisons of this country. (Anyone see that Daily Show recently which the prisoners who bought stock in private prisons?) And I can only imagine the amount of jobs created by trimmers to keep America stoned, not to mention all the other endeavors that legalization of marijuana would provide...

EndRant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am 

lot of good takes on this issue...but when it some down to the "vote" process, do you all REALLY believe that this ponzi scheme "democracy"lets the peons have a legit say on legislation? How can we actually know that the votes count?? All those suits we see on the the program box we call TV are actually sincere people with integrity? I call BS. But thats my humble perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am 

And so the cat and mouse game continues. i could see it passing in some states, but the feds will likely try to interfere. It doesn't matter (yet) what the people want. There are too many big-time lobby groups against it - prison guards, big beer companies, pharmacuetical, Du Pont, oil, agriculture, etc. Throw in just a little bit of fear (mostly involving people who have never tried it) about it's "harmful' effects, and it's enough to keep it illegal. I think Americans are very gradually becoming more aware and more pissed off about this type of thing, about our gov't and big-business in general, but it won't be until the :shit: and has a big impact on enough individuals that we collectively motivate for the Revolution. Even if we can have a peaceful revolution and eliminate the two party system that we have now, it would do wonders.
but really, how much good will weed being legal do? For the most part, those in jail because of are either pretty stupid, or very unlucky. Insurance companies will still have employers testing for it, you'll still be cited for driving with it in your system, and they will still use tests that show weed in your system for 30 days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:

Funniest sh!t I've seen in awhile. This one's going on the office door.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm 

http://www.thehouseilivein.org/
Eugene Jarecki's (Why We Fight) new documentary outlining the failure of the so-called Drug War and the private for-profit industry that's cropped up behind it. Everyone should see this movie. Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pvFobm01kBw

http://marijuanamajority.com/
Pretty much everyone across the political spectrum agrees... it's time to end the immoral, corrupt drug war and stop putting people in prison for non-violent drug crimes - particularly for marijuana charges. Over 50% of the current prison population doing time for drug charges is because of marijuana laws.

I voted for the Colorado amendment for legalization. I don't smoke weed, but I think it's clear to any reasonably intelligent person that our current drug laws are designed to perpetuate racism and social oppression without the intention of helping anyone. Over a trillion dollars spent and what has it accomplished? I think change is in the air. It's only a matter of time before enough people speak out and vote accordingly to put a stop to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
A president is a merely a facade.
Weed is illegal because they know it's the path to unlocking our true selves.

That's why I don't vote anymore. I have no faith in any of our political systems. I believe your last quote too. That's why I love listening to Joe Rogan podcasts! Weed is an introspective drug and makes you question things. Humanity has surpassed the need for our archaic/barbaric systems of gov't. We need a whole new paradigm and that starts with the individual. Voting/politics is violence. Statism and patriotism is a disease. Weed/shrooms can make people realize this. That's why it's illegal (along with all the industrial powers vs hemp)

Ad hominem attacks via a tin foil picture is an example of how ignorant the masses are and how they react when truth is shoved in their faces. It's sad. The same people vote for Obama believing the man is a moral and just person when he's without a doubt a pathological lying psychopath. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch. I'm amazed at how many "smart", "educated" people are dumb as fuck to the reality of the world that surrounds them. Our biggest problem (to get way off topic) is that our world is ran by people who are born without the capacity to feel empathy and literally do not have a conscious. PSYCHOPATHS.

(fwiw, I only get high 2 or 3 times a month :P)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm 

BGnight wrote:
That's why I don't vote anymore... Weed/shrooms can make people realize this.
That's some funny shit, you keep telling yourself that. Go drop some acid and maybe you can tell us the meaning of the universe while your at it. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 pm 

idtmcp542 wrote:
Quote:
I heard Washingtons bill had a DUI enforceable blood detection limit? No Bueno! I will be voting yes on 64 in ColoRadbro though (even though I get hair tested at work :banghead: )

Yeah, I will be voting no on I-502 specifically for that reason. If someone partook in even a small morning sesh, they would probably be over the blood limit for the rest of the day, according to an article I was reading but cannot find.

Does anyone know how they will be doing the blood tests? We always joked that we didn't want some cop sticking a needle in your arm while semis drive by on the side of the freeway.

You can already get a DUI already for weed. If think not, you really should to read the DUI laws. 502 sets a legal standard that has to met for a conviction. Do you really want a conviction based on a cop's feeling towards you or a standard that has to be met?

Blood tests will be done by medical professionals, just like DUI blood tests are done now. And a morning sesh isn't going to get you busted in the afternoon.

Check out http://www.newapproachwa.org/sites/newapproachwa.org/files/I-502%20Factsheet%20-%20DUI.pdf for what the law really says. Voting no seems really short sighted if you want to see it legalized any time in the near future.

Time to put on my tin foil hat! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next