Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Backcountry Spooky Stories
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am 

Yeah you were also prime candidates to get your buttholes abducted by the gay samsquatch's!

That's for rizeeeeeal! :shock: And Spoooooooky gross :nononno:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 am 

802smuggler wrote:

can someone take paint and draw a circle around the face? I see a head on the left of the beam - is that it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

I'm not trying to sound like some crazy ghost hunter. It was just ironic that this post came up right after I took the picture. We were just having some fun with it. Infact after screwing around with the draw feature there really isn't anything there. But it was a creepy day and the picture did give me a chill.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 am 

ah, I see! I found loads of other faces in there but that's the best one!
Great story btw - had goose bumps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:21 pm 

New tales of terror on the diaries.
http://www.dirtbagdiaries.com/

Can't wait to listen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 pm 

It looks like a pine tree with legs to me. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am 

I've got a SPOOKY story!

So this one time, in a time not so long ago in a far off SPOOKY place known as the North Cascades, I was retreating from a bulletproof icy line with a 3 thousand foot 50 degree SPOOKY fall line with my tail between my legs. I had found myself cruxed out on a 50 degree slope, stuck on blue glacier ice, and wind buffeted rime ice. Careful wiggling and nudging had proven effective in scootching my center of mass away from the exposure to the 3000 foot, continuous fall line. My buddy and I decided it was time to retreat with our tails between our legs, because we were SPOOKED.

The retreat commenced, and we were nervous. Not too nervous though because we were roped together. This mild state of nervousness ubruptly changed however, when I found myself up to my neck in a hidden crevasse with feet dangling into the death zone. Upon extracting myself, nervousness somehow morphed into a sense of profound stoke to have had such an experience. I had always pondered the terrors of poking into deep hidden glacial cracks, but now, I knew, on a physical level what the sensation actually feels like.... Its FUCKING SPOOKY!

To add to the spookiness, about an hour later, I set off the biggest avalanche I have ever seen with my bare eyes. This wasn't a far off avalanche, this one release from under my feet, and traveled 2 thousand vertical feet and slithered out across the valley floor. Again, I was immediately SPOOKED AS FUCK. This too, however, morphed into a sense of SPOOKY gratitude. I was getting the chance to learn first handedly something really SPOOKY. About just how powerful the forces of nature really are. How even a small lapse of judgement can have lasting, permanent SPOOKY ramifications.

STOKED ON SPOOK BABY!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 am 

Not particularly spooky this one, or particularly backcountry-y, but here it is anyway.

I was travelling round BC with a few buddies and, up near Smithers, we stopped off to look at a fossilised lake bed where the river now cuts through it, exposing new fossils quite often.

We get out of the car at the parking spot, and have a look round, but can't see where we should go. No signs, no nothing. Just as we're about to head off into the trees on a guess, a dog appears from one side of the car park, a grizzled old yellow labrador, passes by us and sits by the bushes on the other side. We go to say hello and he gets up and disappears down a faint trail, hidden by the new growth.

We follow on, he walks ahead through the trees, stopping to look back every so often to check we're still with him. And we pop out a few minutes later at the fossil bed. Doggy wanders off and leaves us to kick about and look at the rocks. After an hour or so we start to look about for the point we came in at, and there's our guide, sitting at the trail, waiting for us.

He leads us back again, looking back every so often to check we're still with him, and then just wanders off again out the other side of the parking lot.

We would have liked to thank him properly, given him a bite to eat, a head cuddle and a belly rub - we're all doggy people - but he barely stopped, just paused where he came in for a last look back, and he was gone.