Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: With Oden on Our Side - A Norse Splitboard Saga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 am 

have you ever read Beowulf? that pic of the reconstructed longhouse just made me think "wow, Grendel was HUGE!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:50 pm 

Thanks to everybody who commented and thanks to everybody who checked this out.

I was told that I posted “too many” pics by someone. I know it was a lot. I get carried away. I just like to tell the whole story and provide a view of everything going on. It’s not just about snowboarding, ‘cause snowboarding is a superior vehicle for exploring and experiencing all the world has to offer. Still, sorry for “too many” pics. I’ll try and narrow it down better next time (honestly I am so busy with work this summer that narrowing it down became impossible if I wanted to post this before the coming winter!)

Lots of you commented that this now puts Norway on your hit list. You’re right on track. If the weather cooperates, I am claiming Spring Slitboarding Skiing Mecca. The place totally shreds. There are roads going along most of the fjords providing easy access and there is good camping on the ocean. Do it.

Individual comments:

802smuggler- on the “far off photography”, that happened because someone did not want to ride in the rain and preferred to rest and take pics from the car. :mrgreen: Lucky me!

IrishGav- Stoked you gonna hit up. I think late-March-April-early-May would be where its at. I also thinking having that camper and just sorta moving in for a while would be the way to go. We only had 2 weeks and when we left they were about to get high pressure for several days. You gotta be there to win so make time to wait out some weather. Oh and that whole network of islands and fjords around Tromso looks like the overall best spot.

Libtechsplit- No, I have not read Beowulf. I guess I’ll have to check it out. That longhouse was built on the site as an original Viking house and you can go outside and see the old foundation for the original one. It’s worth the visit for sure and you can hit that up and make some turns all in the same day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 pm 

snowsavage wrote:
IrishGav- Stoked you gonna hit up. I think late-March-April-early-May would be where its at. I also thinking having that camper and just sorta moving in for a while would be the way to go. We only had 2 weeks and when we left they were about to get high pressure for several days. You gotta be there to win so make time to wait out some weather. Oh and that whole network of islands and fjords around Tromso looks like the overall best spot.

Yeah man,it's been a dream of mine to do a surf trip to the Lofoten Islands up there in Norway and also to incorporate splitting aswell would be epic,those couloirs are awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 pm 

thank you for sharing this inspiring trip... Great photography, original and very entertaining. I think my favorite moment is the blurry flick of you sitting on top of a col with the driving hail/graupel and the way you explained the descent with changing snow conditions of spring pow, to graupel then corn... So surreal and descriptive I could almost hear your turns. Stoked!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:55 pm 

So good man! Them high mooontains with them glacies' are such a drug!! Mega rad trip Savage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am 

the amazing part of the trip report for me are
-"girlfriend" waiting at the bottom of the couloir in the rain taking pics of your epic descent. (must have been 4hours+)
- and the "beach hut" holiday picture where the weather looks grim.

you must have something special snowsavage to have such a devoted lady. respect.
any tips for me?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm 

thanx for the comments Russman and Dafu.

Dafu, yeah no shit, thanks for dropping her some props. I def. dont take all that patients and love for granted. She lets me ride what I want to ride and is stoked to chill out, read, sleep etc. But then when she is feeling up to it she skins hard and goes large on her own terms. I dont think its anything special about me, because anyone who knows me knows I am straight up freak and more than a handful to deal with. I am just lucky.

Tips? Just hold strong, keep it real, dont put on any acts and tryto be someone your not, and dont be afraid to pursue a lady you like in the face of all adversity (in a respectful manner of course). Hope that helps.

It'll happen, The good news is that more and more wonderful women are shredding backcountry every year so your chances are just getting greater!

oh, and yeah, that beach hut was a total score. We randomly found that thing on a hike and we ended up camping there for 3 nights, right on the beach of the norwegian sea.

If anybody ends up going to there to ride coulys I'll give you the beta on that spot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:06 pm 

What an EPIC! TR and road trip :headbang:
I can't find the words, it is my dream in pictures you posted here. :thumpsup: Norway is my dream place since 2006 when I was first time there.

I have been to several locations you posted here this summer on our motorcycle trip through the whole Norway in July/August 2012 and I camped on one or two exact spots as you did :D

The whole time in Norway I was looking at the mountains and thinking, that's a perfect couloir, that's a perfect face, that would be rad to ride.... Norway's nature and landscape is absolutely gorgeous.

Me and my girlfriend we decided that one day we have to go to Norway in a camper car with splitboards... You nailed it!

The weather was playing foolish also on our bike trip. This year was the worst summer in Norway for the last decade. We saw a lot of rideable snow on the peaks in august!
Could you mark the locations where you hiked on a map?
How did you get your stuff dry in that weather when you always camped? We had rain like 21 days of 24 and had to rent huts to get our clothes dry. Wasn't it too cold on the humid nights in tent?

It was a lot of pictures but I am the same way, if you want to tell the story you need the pictures :thumbsup: so I thik it's OK :wink:

Once again, great trip! :bow:
(and also great girlfriend you have :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

:clap: :clap: :headbang: :thatrocks: :drool:

You really are a savage, that was a great TR.

Not too many photos, just means it took me three sessions to look at them all, nothing wrong with that.

I don't need much inspiration but that just makes me want to split, skate to the bowl down the road or just tend to the vegie garden. Just stuff I stoke on.

Appreciation and thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 pm 

Okay, now that I've been mentioned so many times (once by name) I suppose I should chime in. The Russia and Norway trip with Snowsavage was my first ever international backcountry ski trip, and it was fantastic, as you can tell by the photographs and narrative he already posted.

The weather in Norway was pretty awful the entire two weeks we were there. It was still an incredible place. Locals told us that May has notoriously bad weather. We got hotel rooms for four of the nastiest nights - two nights in Tromsø, one in Svolvær, and one at Riksgränsen ski resort in Sweden. The rain was in and out constantly. We just draped our wet clothes over our ski bags inside the car and they sort of dried out that way. I was never cold though. April might be a better month for spring skiing there with better weather and a little more snow, but might be worse for camping. I would definitely go back to Lofoten at any time of year for any reason. It is truly an astonishingly beautiful place.

The couloir photos happened because there were a couple of times I did not particularly feel like charging up a couloir of unknown conditions in driving rain and high winds. I was happy just to take a nap in the car and take blurry photos from below. Besides, when you are traveling with someone for a month sometimes it is nice to have a little bit of alone time...

Snowsavage calls himself a "straight up freak" so I guess I must be one too since we get along so well. I count myself lucky that I found a guy who will take me with him on such an epic ski trip. I hope there are many more in our future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 pm 

Great shots, looks like an awesome trip!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm 

Thanks again for all the new comments. Again, Norway is just ridiculous. I never knew how good it could be. The folks who live in northern Norway have a very special place with endless, epic terrain.

Skin up: thanks man, what little you said means a lot.

FaDe: Nice to hear you are familiar with the territory. You were there soon after we were. We left June 4th.

You camped in exact spots? Where at man?

You guys definetly should go back with your splitboards, Norway is a splitboarding paradise, there is no doubt.

Get in touch and I can help you with mapping out the runs I did and showing you other areas I discovered as well. PM me and we'll figure something out.

The rain was brutal. It just came down to sucking it up and putting on super wet clothes every morning to go ride. The only chance to dry stuff out was when we splurged on a hotel a few times because we were so wet and cold. We live in Alaska and we are used to getting wet while deep in the wilderness and not being able to get dry. If you want to avoid getting wet maybe go earlier in the winter when it snows instead of rains, but then it will be quite cold...the real solution is that camper you are talking about.

Oh, and thanks "Pilai" for throwing in your two cents on the whole affair, there is no doubt that I am very lucky to have you to shred with. I dont blame you for not climbing those couloirs, they were hard work and it was very wet. I could never have gotten such cool pictures without you. :bow:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 am 

Wow, just checked this out. Nice work SS! :drool: