Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the ways to have an endless winter, and enjoy life?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm 

Inspired by Kyle Miller and others. What are the ways, insights and challenges over-come to have an endless winter, and enjoy life? Perhaps you have chose as Kyle has to make splitboard a life-time profession, or you on the proverbial economic turn-down, or close to retirement.

What would you do to make an end-less winter for a lifetime?

For Example: consider the small house such as TumbleweedHouse.com to avoid paying rent and work on find a piece of land in the mountains.

Image or Image see http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/pages/houses

What summer jobs with good income work for you to have the endless winter? For example: I read about a professed ski-bum, who is a smoke-jumper in the summer.

What tips to be frugal and still have a 401-K?

Post subject: Re: What are the ways to have an endless winter, and enjoy life?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm 

well I don't know how to pull off the year round thing without being independently wealthy but finding good seasonal work in the summer isn't a bad way. Commercial fishing is what I've done. Work 3-6 months a year, down side is the income is highly variable. Get a crew job on a salmon seiner in Alaska, season runs from June-September and you can make anywhere from $5,000-50,000+.

Jones flagship 164 solid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm 

Depends on what standard of living you are looking for. Evening jobs like waiting tables, working in a hotel, etc., works very well, though it might not allow for much money or time to travel. Fire, EMS, nursing, all have killer schedules and good incomes, though you probably need some schooling. Dirt bagging it, funeployment, and Sugar Mommas have also been known to get some people through.
And if you are looking for some cheap land to park one for those trailer thingys (which look sweet, BTW), PM me. Seriously, I got a spot in the Rockies pretty close to some quality riding that I am trying to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 pm 

While ski-tourism jobs help and are many in ski-resort towns for year around employment, I looking to see what other ways and careers offer an end-less winter. The 100 plus days of splitboarding, while a planning for one's future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 pm 

I have a friend who works constantly in the summer, on a crew cleaning oil storage tanks at the pipeline terminal here, and skis nearly every day the rest of the year. Right now I work at a fish hatchery from late March to mid November and have a lot of time off in the winter. It would be better if I was off from January through April, though.

My guy has a week-on, week-off schedule and can trade weeks whenever he wants. That would be pretty sweet. Lots of guys want time off during hunting or fishing season, so if you had a gig like that you could take lots of summer shifts and have tons of time off during the winter and spring, and make plenty of money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm 

If I understand your question correctly:
The best I have come up with so far, is a job in sales. It can suck at times, but if your good enough, and work hard enough in the summer months, you can still be raking in during the winter with long term client relations. I'm not talking selling cars or retail here, but business to business sales, or the like, or I've seen people do well in resort towns with real estate... I've been contemplating trying to get something more focused on the industry, but the opportunities seem to be limited, and not that good when they come up, and sales jobs in general are pretty difficult to find a decent one.

If your lucky enough, like somehow I seem to have been with my last few jobs, you find a job managing a territory for a company that is far far away. Meaning mid-week powder days aren't ever missed, or are rarely missed. You still have to have your priorities in order and can't be abusing clients in search of powder, but it's still a bit more open than a 9-5.

I just relocated to the PNW, in search of the endless winter, but last year in the mid-atlantic region, I still managed to score 30 days in our "3-month" winter, even with our lack of snowfall compared to normal, last year.

Basically, to get down to brass tax, I can afford to pay my rent and save for a deposit on a house, all while being able to buy new gear when I need it, and eat however I want. Granted, I'm still a bit jealous of those with the dedication to ski-bum it, but quite frankly, I like being comfortable and eating well...

Now that I've sat down and done the math, I'm probably not going to get 100+ days this winter, but that's a bit over kill for me anyways, but that isn't gonna stop me from trying, but I'm definitely going for 12 months in a row.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:47 pm 

Plan wisely my friend. I hate to be the spoiler here, but someday you will get old. By then you better have more than social security and you will need some health insurance. Im 50, have worked a steady job all my life and used to envy friends who didnt work much, surfed all day and lived check to check , couch to couch
now, i got it made......I may not get in as many days but i have some spare change, can play when I want and get to chase even bigger dreams. Hell, Im about to learn to fly a helicopter , just cause i want to.

Workin for the man is a time investment. It can drag you down but one day it may just pay out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 am 

Merchant marines.

Free union school / training, work minimum of 4 months a year whenever you want, and clear roughly $28k to $40k for that time (10 to 16 hour workdays every day straight). Medical / pension / 401k available.

The top gig is a harbor pilot paying between $250k to $500k working roughly 6 months a year. Moving up the career ladder is all up to you; get the sea-time and take the Coast Guard tests, brown-nosing not required.

I thank Father above. Threw caution to the wind and gave it all for The Dream. Life is beautiful beyond words.

Word to the wise: I'm single and it's perfect. It's brutal for family people. Some make it work, I don't bother trying.

http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/entry.asp

Fair winds and following seas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 am 

Some great ideas, and observations. This has definitely been on my mind for many years. Now, with our reformed health care system coming in to play....I think it's time I pull the trigger on my idea.

It's basic idea, that is pretty obvious. Grow my own food, hunt, fish, and sell the goods at farmers markets. There isn't much to do in the winter unless you have livestock/chickens. That presents a challenge, but not an impossible challenge.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 am 

For me getting any software job was difficult after leaving the market for 5 years to ski bum. Unfortunately there is a perception in my field if you miss any time you are borderline worthless. Yet, once I got a job, I quickly proved once again I'm much better in person than on paper and have consistently out performed my peers. I wouldn't trade my years bumming for anything but would caution those considering it to have an exit plan, and do what you can to keep whatever professional skills you have up to date and in practice. It's definitely more work, but volunteer options in most fields are available, and can be a great supplement to professional work during your "time off" years in your career.

I work in the software field and had a job for about a year where I worked from home and had a lot of freedom regarding when I worked as long as the work got done. Most days I would spend a half day at the hill and work from 3-11 based on the time clock but get most of my work done by 9 or so and made my dinner as I worked. Sometimes my boss would let me know ahead of time to be around during certain hours for meetings, but no more than once a week and if I had plans he was willing to re-arrange the meeting time. Bottom line I was making decent (not great) money, had a flexible schedule, vacation time and I could travel and work since everything was remote anyways. I did a 3 week visit the east coast to see family and my boss was none-the-wiser. Even if he knew, it made no difference to him. Unfortunately the company went under during the recession but I know there are other opportunities like these for those who are skilled and reliable.

My current goal is to be my own boss and again utilize a remote office work environment. While the undoubtedly will mean more work and responsibility, I have seen in many the flexibility in can provide. I have also seen it swallow people... so there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 am 

My unsolicited advice for young people looking forward at their careers is to not focus their efforts on finding a job that provides lots of time off but instead to focus on finding something they're good at. In my opinion, if you're good enough at something you'll be able to work out the details around schedules.

I work in IT management which is typically not considered a good way to get lots of skiing in. However, I put in a solid 50 days of backcountry a year plus multiple dawn patrols a week and a bunch of resort days with the kids. For me, having a family is more important than skiing but if my priorities were reversed, I could easily double the number of backcountry days.

I'm not wealthy but I make enough to buy whatever gear I want each year, take multiple ski trips, and support my family. I currently have a full-time gig but I've done consulting work in the past that has allowed me to ski even more.

If you can find something that you do better than other people, you'll be surprised how well the other things fall into place.

Maybe what you're best at doesn't make a lot of money... like you're really good at being a river guide. You may not get rich but you'll be able to keep a consistent flow of work while others are struggling.

Tough part is being self-aware enough to make an honest evaluation of what you're good at. I churn though a steady flow of applicants looking for work in IT when they probably should be a truck driver.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am 

Just go for it! Find that special town in the mountains.... Go out and party there, Ride, make friends... Skii towns are small, word travels fast... If you are are honest, have character, and know how to have a good time, people will notice.... In small towns your local reputations holds more water than one may think... connections can help with Jobs, housing, girls, you name it.... Be positive, make it happen.... Dont be a D-bag...nobody wants to hook up an asshole. Be friendly, making friends is better and more valuable than making money...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 am 

You can have the most flexible job in the world but someday you will end up being claimed by a woman who will not be too happy with you off playing for 4 straight months. Enjoy it while it lasts, fellas!

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com