Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, I picked up one of those Atomic Split 'system' boards
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 pm 

And holy, does it scream "Hello, China? Can you make, design, and produce a split setup with little actual rider input for dirt cheap? you can? OK, well take 300, please"
The first clue is that the binding 'pivot' plates were mounted backwards (yes, really) on the board.
Second, board was marketed as having rocker....ummm....none there. Just 3mm of trad. Camber.
Then there is the whole setup where you 'have' to have your crampons in order to convert. Weak.
And (from what I can tell ) you need to run the crampons or the climbing aids in order to actually walk without bending the bindings...and....and.....

Well, Anyhoo, I decided this was a good opportunity to ask for some collective creative help, and re-engineer almost everything about this system.
It has a few decent things, the way the binding mounts to the board is kinda trick, ( but ver proprietary, we will get to that later).
I'll post more with pics n' stuff, but for now, have any of you played with this setup?
I think it will be a good loaner board when I get it dialed....

Post subject: Re: So, I picked up one of those Atomic Split 'system' boards
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm 

Personally I'd rather spend more time actually riding than fiddling with an inferior set up.

And those crampons are just ridiculous

And using it as a loaner, may give the wrong first impression to people you're lending it too about splitboarding

And....And...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 pm 

Just watched a video of the setup. Seems to be very unnecessarily complex, with a lot of parts to lose, and the changeover looked to take a long time. Weird, because someone put a ton of effort into designing the system, but kind over-thought it way too much.

Does yours have the weird swallow tail thing going on too? That just looks dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 pm 

Stein, I am going to totally redo how this thing works, on up to simply tbolting puck mounts for spark or whatever. But first things first, I will see what I can do to simplify what's here into something reliable.
I actually really enjoy these types of challenges. It's fun. And I wouldn't lend it to somebody until it is 90% dialed.

I see it as an opportunity to improve it, in fact, possibly improve on the venerable viole system whilst doing so.
I guess it's the tinkerers way of thinking about it.
It is the one with the swallowtail, which I will also cut deeper in profile, more like a 05' gen Prior swallowtail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:04 am 

I was on an Atomic, mostly for political reasons, (don't want to support Voile's heavy handed legal ethos and squashing the little guy for practices to which they themselves have been a party).

Atomic made a solid product with bindings that rivaled Sparks in terms of overall height off the deck, and way less issues transitioning than with the Voile.

Your 'pivot plates' were on properly before you messed them up. That gives you rounded ski tips in skin mode / mini swallowtail in ride mode which really excels compared to mainstream products in terms of maneuverability while skinning, (easier kick-turns, etc.).

The Poacher's original heel lifter is a hassle so it's been replaced on my deck with G3 heel lifters. Also made some changes to the skin attachments (attach tip first, then slide hand down. The original method has you attach the tailhook first and smooth against the grain of the skins. Another change I made was to make a small tool to transition, so I could leave the crampon/heel riser/transition tool at home.

Not a bad board for the money and it was great to see a company creating new concepts when the split board had gone stale. When it debuted, Burton and Voile were the only real players, so it was a welcomed sight, (even if it was a bit over-engineered, typical of plenty of other German products).

The only reason I sold mine was because it was too soft for my fat ass and the Cascade chunder that I ride, (but was great on pow).

Now turn your pivot plates back around and enjoy it for what it is. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 am 

Hunh, wouldn't have ever considered that. However, I am going to deepen the swallowtail, so that option is moot. Also will retrofit viole or Kclips, and get rid of the heavy clips/risers, they are way over engineered.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am 

I don't have an opinion on the Atomic setup per se but I do believe that inferior equipment can be a serious liability a few miles out or several 1000 feet up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

is fun to do your own r & d, I made my own heel locks for tour mode on my DIY, it was fun to tinker with different arrangements and then to find one that worked good in the field.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:44 pm 

nifl wrote:
I don't have an opinion on the Atomic setup per se but I do believe that inferior equipment can be a serious liability a few miles out or several 1000 feet up.

Precisely my motivation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 am 

not sure if the tour brackets are spaced the same way, but Triad makes a superior two bolt tour bracket (bronze/brass? bushing).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am 

Dude why don't you just start over with an ebay board of your choice?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm 

The way the insert pattern on the board is, perhaps the Edison system would work for ride mode?

Then some board hooks from Marcus AKA "Burton" as they look like a similar pattern too.

You're almost there, a few quiver killers for tour mode and your done!

Might just work!!!!

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:34 pm 

Zude wrote:
Dude why don't you just start over with an ebay board of your choice?

Where is the fun/challenge in That? :thumpsup: