Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone ridden Gnu Billygoat Split?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am 

Just looking to see if anyone has ridden on the GNU Billygoat split 162 size preferable. How stiff was it etc. thoughts...etc..

thanks in advance..

Post subject: Re: Has anyone ridden Gnu Billygoat Split?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 am 

i dont know but ive drooled over it ever since I saw one and imagine its sick!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

My first split just arrived earlier this week.. Once the snow starts to fly I'll provide you with a review... Can't wait to get out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:24 pm 

I have the 2011/2012 billy goat split 162. I have only ridden it in the backcountry once and twice at my local resort(Mt. Washington, BC) This board rips in pow though. And holds up surprisingly well on groomers and hard pack condition. The magnetraction is subtle but you can still dig in the edges effectively. As for stability, this is the only splitboard I have ever ridden, but I found it holds for a nice smooth ride. I ride a lib tech trs for my inbounds board and the billy goat feels almost as good as the trs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm 

I just bought one last weekend and I'm pretty excited. I was originally looking at the Jones Solution and Voile Artisan, but did some research on the Billy Goat and liked what I saw. Backcountry Mag gave it a great review.

Let the snow fall!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:28 am 

I've ridden the piss out of mine. Great board!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:19 pm 

Picked up last year's left over stock in a 159 over the summer, haven't ridden it yet. But its waxed and ready.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:13 pm 

Just got out on day three with this board, teton pass WY. I purchased the 162, I am 5'9, 160lbs with size 10 driver X boots. Bindings are Spark Fuses with the LT pin system and voile dual climbing bars. THIS BOARD IS THE SHITTTT!!! Have only ridden it in deep powder, and I like it much better than my previous Prior AMF split 2010. Feels way more responsive, way more snappy on takeoffs, and just like my resort board, a Lib tech lando 159 and soon ride Gnu altered genetics 159. Maybe I am just used to Mervin boards by now hence why I feel so good about this split. This is my 4th season splitting. Have been snowboarding for 18 yrs, and haven't worked in 8 winters to enjoy my favorite pastime, riding powder.

The T Rice split was next on my list, only because of the 260mm waist versus the billy goat 253mm, but I am glad I went this route, and saved $100+. The T rice I imagine is very sick as well. My size ten driver X's and L Sparks fit pretty spot on, +15F and -5Rear, minimal heel/toe overhang. IMO a size 11 boot with no reduced footprint would be to large, and the T rice would be the only option.

Hope this helps someone who has some hard earned cash saved and wants a kick ass, feels just like a resort board split. The Billy Goat so far get a 5/5, will report any negatives as this so far deep season progresses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 am 

workman wrote:
Just got out on day three with this board, teton pass WY. I purchased the 162, I am 5'9, 160lbs with size 10 driver X boots. Bindings are Spark Fuses with the LT pin system and voile dual climbing bars. THIS BOARD IS THE SHITTTT!!! ....
Hope this helps someone who has some hard earned cash saved and wants a kick ass, feels just like a resort board split. The Billy Goat so far get a 5/5, will report any negatives as this so far deep season progresses.

Ah! Must finish kitting out THEGOAT!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 am 

Oddly enough I decided on the Jones solution 164, and it rides real similar to my goat. I'm liking it. That said..IF they'd made the billygoat in the 165..I definitely would've gone w/ that since I'm a tad closer to the 200# mark.

Solution w/ some Burners!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm 

I'm liking the Goat a lot, rides great in most conditions it's seen so far, and tackles the resort well! I think I might look for something a little more directional in the future though, a Trapper Ursa Major or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm 

Spark Burners, LT pin upgrade, voile interface, & skins en route! Bout time to get out and earn those turns on the GOAT. Can't wait to provide my thoughts on it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 am 

Thought I'd ad my :twocents: to this thread (again).

I've done multiple tours on my Billygoat (bought the 2012/13 model back in October) and I'm loving it. This board is a blast to ride. It turns so easily and rides really well. I'm really glad I bought it. It feels really stable, too. I've ridden it in crud, packed powder, etc. and it's done well each time (though riding crud on any board can only be so much fun). This is my first rocker/camber board and I'm really happy with it. It skins well, too, though I can't tell if it's better or worse than a full camber board. The only comparison I have is my old, 2002 Voile split 159 which is full camber. That being said, the Goat is so much better than my old board. It's a strong, solid ride. The only down side? The beautiful artwork on the topsheet is getting scratched and scuffed! I know that just comes w/ the territory, but it's hard to see it happen.

MT, I hope you have a great time w/ your Goat!