Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Further
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:48 am 

What's "Signatures"?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:28 am 

"Signatures" I think I said that right, I gave my copy to clanton and never got it back. It's the the same guys who did Solitaire but the Japan version. I never got to see Solitaire but I'm thinking this one has a better balance of riding and story telling. Absolutely amazing video. It was the first shred video I had ever seen where I felt like someone got close to describing what riding is to me. I don't even think it has any mainstream pro riders in it. Someone correct me if I said that wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm 

If I'm remembering the right flick, Signatures was kinda lame. Lots of artsy, mellow pow turns, but not much gnar or pushing-the-limits kinda riding. I wanna see people pushing limits, it inspires me to push my own limits. Even seeing JJ and crew being sketched out while hiking, make me feel like I'm being a little bitch when I get sketched on way mellower stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm 

Watched Further the second time and for some reason it was WAAAY better than the first time. I think I was just distracted the first time and couldn't soak it all in. Who knows :scratch:
Can't wait to watch in in Blu Ray on my buddy's 10' home theater!

fuster, you should hang with me cuz I push the limits....

...of being grumpy on the internet :roll:
Jesus titty fucking christ I'm glad it's finally snowing :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm 

BGnight wrote:
fuster, you should hang with me cuz I push the limits....

...of being grumpy on the internet :roll:
Jesus titty fucking christ I'm glad it's finally snowing :headbang:

Word, I have a feeling we'll be bumping into each other Thursdayish for some anti-grump therapy :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:09 pm 

SchralphMacchio wrote:
Well personally I thought Deeper had a more cohesive story than Further. You got the feeling of the progression of the project through the film's editing. You got the feeling of being out remote and trapped in a storm on a 21 day trip - as the viewer you were worn out when the team was worn, and picked up when the riding was going down.

With Further, they got a lot of rad faces done, but they just blew through the last bit so quickly that I felt it more about banging out lines and less about the project as a whole. I did love the Norway stuff for its uniqueness, but seeing that slab go down, and then not seeing anything in the final edit about ReO or Jimmy Chin ...

Am I the only person who is left feeling uninformed and questioning about the project's objectives and attitude about safety? I can count four near-fatal instances deep in the BC as part of the Further project. Shit happens, I get it. But it's almost completely ignored in the editing and construction of the film, whereas it was discussed and represented significantly more in Deeper.

Of course, for Solitaire, someone actually DID lose a life. Arne Backstrom died on the first day of filming. But to be fair, Solitaire and Signatures aren't films about lines or objectives. They are films about a sense of place.

chrishami wrote:
Solitaire, where is the riding? Too arty, the narration from Heart of Darkness (or whatever it was) in Spanish was cheesy. The shots of crosses, cow skulls, fences, and feathers blowing in the wind were visually stunning but it still felt like a college film student project.

As someone who struggles to creatively tell mountain stories through images, I take partial offense to "college film student project." The level of creativity, thought, and quality that these guys have delivered is truly incredible. They're not trying to create more of what is already out there from other outfits. Waggoner and crew are blending literature, culture, music, visual composition, and riding in their films: it's a really hard thing to do well.

If you want sick riding, go watch TB5 and TB6.
If you want sick riding in the middle of nowhere, watch Deeper and Further.
If you want pure human powered adventure, watch Greg Hill's videos on his youtube page.

If you want to know what it feels like to be and harmonize ski and board movements in a place like the Andes, watch Solitaire. It's like what Shelter did for surf films, and then taken to a whole other level.

I can tell you that when I first saw Solitaire in a theater, I wasn't sure what to think. And then I watched the DVD on my HDTV and with my quality sound system, and the thing works like magic.

I absolutely agree with your thoughts on Further/Deeper.

As for Solitaire, no offense intended, I was just expecting something different, more along the lines of Further/Deeper where the trip is the story. Solitaire was more like vignettes with too little (IMO) skiing/riding, though the images are striking, I do get that. I did watch Solitaire on an ipad with lots of ambient background noise (my kids beating the crap out of each other), so there is that factor as well. It's not that I'm only looking for intense lines, I do want a story. Art of Flight, That's it That's All and the like are fun to watch but don't really inspire. Big airs and more big airs, then T Rice trying to sound intellectual. This is why I love Steep so much: interesting people riding in interesting locations, the history and personal stories, I can (and do) watch it over and over.
I'll try to find a copy of Signatures and watch it on a real screen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 am 

i thought the movie was great and that most of the critiques here are dumb.

good job Jeremy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm 

ale_capone wrote:
I keep sayin ths same thing about the cascades...

Id actually like to see something like that from every region. Local dudes showcasing prime terrain.

Nice idea! Wait, lots of us blow tons of cash on gear every year. How about chipping in on some poor filmer to boot pack around and catch the gnar as it happens?

Cuz obviously no one of us wants to give up their day just to film their friends. :lol:

I got some bucks on it if anyone is interested... would be fun to do it as a road trip movie where you hit a bunch of spots in the NW.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

I think this is a cool idea. But it would be nice to be getting paid… That is, anyone who has ever worked with either a a cinematographer or photographer even in the least professional way knows how much "work" is involved and how much compromise is involved in terms of how much actual riding time you have to give up.
It is one thing for professional riders, who are not doing other jobs to make a living during the season, to spend a lot of time and effort filming, but for folks who work, and whose riding time is more limited (and precious), it might be a lot to ask.
Maybe something could work though, some kind of collaborative effort, where a cinematographer is willing to travel the country, filming locals, in their local terrain, showing up at locations when the snow and weather appear to be conspiring to work for filming. I would be willing to devote a couple of days this season to such a project. If thirty or forty locals across NA got into the spirit it might work if an inspired film maker was into it and enough sponsors could be found.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm 

barrows wrote:
I think this is a cool idea. But it would be nice to be getting paid… That is, anyone who has ever worked with either a a cinematographer or photographer even in the least professional way knows how much "work" is involved and how much compromise is involved in terms of how much actual riding time you have to give up.
It is one thing for professional riders, who are not doing other jobs to make a living during the season, to spend a lot of time and effort filming, but for folks who work, and whose riding time is more limited (and precious), it might be a lot to ask.
Maybe something could work though, some kind of collaborative effort, where a cinematographer is willing to travel the country, filming locals, in their local terrain, showing up at locations when the snow and weather appear to be conspiring to work for filming. I would be willing to devote a couple of days this season to such a project. If thirty or forty locals across NA got into the spirit it might work if an inspired film maker was into it and enough sponsors could be found.

Nice, total thread jack in progress. :headbang:

I was thinking smaller than that to start with, something local where we pay some poor kid in film school who's not a complete doofus in the BC to follow our little crew around our local spots in OR and WA.

I'm not thinking this would lead to groundbreaking footage of NBD lines. More like ending up at the end of the season with 15 or 20 minutes of usable footage, of course lots of it will be low angle trees and easy to get to spots.

Yeah, I hear ya on not wanting to give up riding time. I work 55+ hours a week and usually only get to ride on teh weekends. That's why I'm pitifully short on footage from last season, epic tho it was in the NW.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 am 

I agree that the movie is awesome. Definitely the kink of riding I like to watch. I actually thought Terje getting sluffed down that chute showed more about how good Jeremy is at riding steep chutes in marginal ice/snow. Of course he had the advantage of watching Terje's run.

Not wanting to be a downer but it is a little concerning that on all but one trip someone almost dies. I wanted to sit down and watch the flick with my wife and daughters but won't because I don't want to give them the impression that our sport is that reckless. They understand that these are pro's and the gnar must be glorified but I hoped this movie would be smarter than that. It was cool to see Lucas walk down the boot pack though.

Tap wrote:
i thought the movie was great and that most of the critiques here are dumb.

good job Jeremy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm 

I thought Mitch Toelderer rode with more style than anyone in the film. Would have liked to see more of his riding.

Nit-picking here, but I must be tiring of the high-speed sideslipping that JJ is doing so much of the time. Terje is showing some age, and his obligatory method looked forced. Next time JJ needs to invite Blair Habenicht.

Have to say I found Deeper more compelling. Perhaps it spoiled Further for me - the novelty of Deeper was part of its appeal. But I found the crew was portrayed more deeply in the first film (e.g., the filmer's lament), and they were more interesting (e.g. the pilot in Deeper -v- the pilot in Further).

Overall, for me Further felt more formulaic - plan, suffer, get the shot. The reaction at the Emerson in Bozeman was quiet awe, not a whole lot of hooting, except for where the riders survived the beatings.

EDIT: Just watched Haakonsen in "13" and he rides strong as ever. His own discomfort in Jones' Further contrasts with everything else he's put on film, maybe that's what made him appear cautious. Final caveat: These guys are all riding like legends and the terrain is downright gnarly. Kudos.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

Just got mine in the mail this afternoon>>>very nice flick (for me) with a great mix of riders ...but I thought Terje ripped after his first initial line and it looked like he had no problem hiking/climbing at all... He busted a pretty sick throwback frontside 3 over a rock garden combo into some butter that had me nostalgic for Haakonsen Factor. Ya I like the Norway part for sure...My favorite part is the Japan lines in the first segment with J Dirksen and JJ absolutely throwing some soy milk silk turn/slash that made me get up and start scraping the hibernating wax off my quiver of sticks.

Overall I enjoy the direction of Jones and his outlook on this evolving tangent...solid production from TGR, except for the soundtrack...

Edit: Isn't it sacrilegious to hate on the Terje method? Pretty much the "logo" for snowboarding...ala Jerry West NBA etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next