Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow Camping near Baker or other weekend plans?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 am 

Sorry for the late notice and all but is anyone interested in going camping this weekend near baker? Doubtful that there will be enough coverate to board, so I was just planning on taking my truck up to twin lakes, setting up a lean-to shelter and enjoying the start of winter snow while sitting by a bonfire, cooking steak and drinking beer.

I know, sounds awesome doesn't it? If anyone wants to go let me know, I'd be leaving from Renton and have plenty of room in my truck.

If this idea, does anyone want to get out and do something similar somewhere else? Im BORED and need to get out of the house. Im new to PNW and unfortunately met most of my friends here through work and they are not as keen to venture out in the snow. I, on the other hand am :drool: over the weather reports! :bananas:

(I just descovered emodicons, forgive me :) )

Post subject: Re: Snow Camping near Baker or other weekend plans?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 pm 

If you are talking about Twin Lakes up FS road 3605, watch the weather. The lakes are around 5200 ft and with snow levels dropping getting out of there might be an adventure. Awesome place to camp though. One of my all time favorite hikes is to the Winchester Lookout, what a view from the top!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:09 am 

Thats exactly where I am talking about. I have a Land Cruiser on 33's as well as tire chains that should be able to go just fine in anything less than about 18-20 inches of snow. They are calling for somewhere around 14 on the VERY optimistic side of the forecast. Do you foresee me having an issue? I am most worried about sheer drop offs and such that I could slide off in horrid conditions.

All of that being said, I have never been up there so I will make the call on the way up if getting down will be too riskey in the snow. I can always park at a lower elevation and walk up if nesessary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am 

with the snow levels around 3000 could make that a fun adventure. I can't go this weekend, but am hoping to get some turns in midweek.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm 

jbapple wrote:
Thats exactly where I am talking about. I have a Land Cruiser on 33's as well as tire chains that should be able to go just fine in anything less than about 18-20 inches of snow. They are calling for somewhere around 14 on the VERY optimistic side of the forecast. Do you foresee me having an issue? I am most worried about sheer drop offs and such that I could slide off in horrid conditions.

All of that being said, I have never been up there so I will make the call on the way up if getting down will be too risky in the snow. I can always park at a lower elevation and walk up if necessary

That last 2 mile stretch is pretty steep with some sharp switch backs, dramatic drop offs and washouts. Subaru's scrape due to washouts and I have to do 2 point turns in the suburban to get around a some of the corners. With chains you stand a chance of the trip being uneventful. If nothing else the trip should be a great adventure. ;)

Here's a google topo of that last section of road to give you an idea of the terrain.
http://goo.gl/maps/0wvgg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 pm 

We were able to run a muck around twin lakes but decided staying the night up there was a bad idea. Opted for the shelter at the Hannigan Pass trail head instead. Nice fire pit, a lean-to to sleep in. What more could you ask for.

I will say, it appears as though winter is upon us :disco:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:32 pm 

In the future I could do mid week stuff. I'm gonna be filing for unemployment while I'm looking for a job... I got a jacked up Chevy z71 with 35's... No chains but I can go anywhere

Karakoram SL30's