Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Family Tree Spliff Splitboard
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:17 pm 

Burton added a new board to their splitboard line up this year. It's supposed to be 8-10cm shorter then what riders would normally ride. The only size they offer is the 148cm.

I'm considering it, since this seems like the shortest splitboard out there, and could be a nice weight savings. I ride the 154cm Jones solution right now and even so, it still feels heavy, after a long day outside.

Any thoughts on how this splitboard would perform?

Post subject: Re: Burton Family Tree Spliff Splitboard
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 am 

Check the 'marketing buzzwords' thread for my thoughts in more detail.

Have you tried a nug?

If you were into the nug, you will love this.

I barely take the long boards out anymore- so much fun and surprisingly stable. Also shaves like 10 lbs off my other setups. :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm 

I'm new to this board... howdy.

I purchased the Family Tree 162 for this season after riding a Jones Solution 161 last year. The Jones just isn't made that well and I thought since I've had great results on Burton boards in the past the Family Tree would be a good bet. I haven't rode the board yet, but it seems well-made and more sturdy than the Jones with a true s-rocker profile (the jones just has a little front rocker and is basically flat between the feet- but it's advertised as "s-rocker"). Also, the longer, fatter Family Tree 162 is slightly lighter than the Jones. One problem I've found is the hole patterns on the Family Tree. They're significantly set for a wider stance than the Jones. The rear hole patterns on the FT are one place forward than the first hole set at the rear of the Jones. The front holes on the Family Tree are 3-4 settings forward on the board when compared to the Jones. This is a problem for someone with a shorter inseam (I have short legs- 30' inseam or so). I've got my front pucks as far back as they will go (I swapped the inline-screw puck to the heal side) and it's still too wide for me. So I'm kinda beside myself. I thought about going for the Family Tree Spliff w/ Nug reduction since the resort Nug board is a blast, but in deep backcountry pow, skinning up, etc, I wasn't convinced that a short board (148!) which would be the equivalent of a 156-58 board w/o the reduction (maybe even less) is a good choice. So I have to set my back pucks up one place more than I want to which will basically center my stance. I guess this is good for freestyle and hit jumps or landing switch, but for surfing powder... not so much. If it's deep I'm going to want a narrow stance set further back on the board which isn't possible without drilling more holes. If you're taller, the Family Tree will probably work great, but if you're short like me (5'10", 30 inseam) you should find something else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm 

What size stance do you ride?

You do seem to be on the opposite end of the proportion spectrum than I am. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam and I ride a 23" stance. I don't know what you weigh but if you are in coastal snow I bet you could go to a shorter board and get the stance you want and still float just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 pm 

I usually ride about 22.523' on 156-158 rocker boards. I have a 150 Nug and set it at 22.5.

The problem with the Family Tree 162 is that my stance is maxed out and I can't move my bindings back anymore without increasing my stance even more. If I want to shorter my stance the back binding will have to move one spot forward, thus centering me over the board. I guess this won't be a problem if the nose has good float which I'm sure it does. I'm just going to get out there and try out some different angles, widths, etc and see if it works. I still have my Solution as a back-up just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:29 pm 

I think you'll be fine centered up considering that the freebird has the S-rocker profile paired with a bit of taper. With that combo you shouldn't have issues with float. My buddy is a B rep and he was on the spliff last year and loves it. He's a smaller guy but from what he says and the people he's seen on it... it works great for normal sized humans as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 pm 

MT wrote:
I think you'll be fine centered up considering that the freebird has the S-rocker profile paired with a bit of taper. With that combo you shouldn't have issues with float. My buddy is a B rep and he was on the spliff last year and loves it. He's a smaller guy but from what he says and the people he's seen on it... it works great for normal sized humans as well.

You just called your buddy an 'abnormally sized human', in essence. :lol: ... no, seriously... I get what you're saying. Thanks for the feedback. I'm feeling a little better about it in general and even possibly going with a larger stance. I think the Spliff is out unless I can demo it somehow. For now, I'm just going to try moving a little forward and back on this 162 until something feels right.

And just to come full circle, I think SnowStoked will be okay on the Spliff if your normal board is a 154. Sounds like you'd still have a couple of extra CM for a heavy pack or deeper conditions with the Nug reduction of 8-10cm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:20 pm 

You should be fine with it centered. The s-rocker, slight taper and more importantly the side effects let this board float like crazy. I rode an earlier freebird in deep pow and was very happy with it centered.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 am 

Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm pretty light... about 135 lbs and 5'7. My stance is about 22" wide. Even with a pack, it'd add 45 lbs to me.

I used to ride a 152 on the resort, and while demoing a few burton boards last season, the reps tried really hard to convince me that I should go shorter. I ended up on a 145cm board, and it was the most fun I had on a board and still kept up with all my skier friends on the traverses and cat tracks. I ended up buying the board a week later.

I love the Jones solution, and the way it rides. However, after a few long backcountry trips last year, I just don't want to haul unneccessary weigh if I can go with a lighter set up. It'd not like I'm going to get super strong or physically bigger any time soon, so my only way out is getting a shorter and lighter board.

Honestly, maybe it's just me, but I've never experienced deep powder. I live on the east coast, so all my BC trips out west means they've been all scheduled and my timing always seems miss out on all the pow. Not floating never seems like an issue so far... maybe one day, I'll be luckier and have the opposite problem.

Most of my concerns are around touring on the board, especially on traverses. And most of my riding, is miserable in the BC, when the snow is variable, and sometimes icy. I've gotten pretty good at reading the snow but still would like to know my board will be solid enough to keeep me from biting it hard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:29 am 

...also, keep in mind anyone can ride powder on any board. If you like shorter boards and that's what works for ya, more pow(d)er to ya.

Certainly long boards, setback stances and rocker noses help with float in deep snow.

However, all the snowboard films with pro freestyle riders hucking 900s in the BC seem to be proof that you can ride pow on a shorter freestyle board.

I say, ride what you're comfortable on. :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm 

I have used the Burton freebird 162 for 2 seasons. IMO it's good for allround riding and super in pow. This year I got the Spliff. Aprox 400 grams lighter. A bit stiffer than the freebird. I tested it yesterday in various conditions. 2 cm to 70 cm pow. First impression is good. Light, fun and float like a longer board. :thumbsup: