Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cheap Jones splits on Evo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:34 pm 

Awesome. Glad some of you could get a great deal there.

I recently ordered the Voile mojo from the Wilderness exchange deal that was posted in another thread. It is my first split and for the shorter length and price it will be great as a starter board.

Heading to Montana on Monday to pick it up!! :disco:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:51 pm 

Thanks so much for the heads up on this one! Really wanted to get in on that Voile deal but 171 is what I am coming from (given it's the old camber model) and it is waaaay too big for me in the tight trees. A 163W Solution should do very nicely (matched up with a brand new set of Light Rails and K2 New Blacks!)!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:01 pm 

So my buddies got theirs, and they're factory seconds. One has an issue with the topsheet and the other has a couple of bubbles in the base that are like small core shots. It looks like a base weld will fix the bubbles, and the Jones' are known for a bad topsheet anyways right. Still a good deal. Just thought I'd throw it out there, that they're seconds, not new pristine boards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm 

Hopefully everyone knew that, they are marked as blems. I have no issues with topsheets being messed up but if the structure of the base is screwy, that would be a reason to return. I guess I will know tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm 

Just got my '64. They used a much lighter blue color and the writing on the map topsheet is in light blue instead of brown. Weird, it sorta looks better because you can actually see the smaller lines on the topo where on the dark blue you can't. Structurally I can't find one defect so I'm pretty stoked! :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:29 pm 

just received my Hover split and boy is it Fucked up! I knew I was taking a gamble but I knew I could send it back. First off, misaligned halves. One side is 3/16 higher than the other. Second, big gap down center seam between clips and nose/tail clips. Third, the bottom at tail is Extremely hulled. Difference between center and outside edges is 1/4"! And last but not least, the hardware is applied very haphazardly. Wow. I can't believe they sold this to anyone!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 pm 

Wow, that sucks. They should NOT be selling these if they are structurally different than normal boards. They're advertised as cosmetic blemishes only. I got lucky I guess. Another thing different about mine is my base has black letters on white instead of blue letters on black *shrug*. I double checked again and can't find a flaw in it other than the K clips nuts were loose but they're super snappy now after I tightened them.

EDIT: OOPS! FUCKERS!!! I finally found a MAJOR flaw. The fucking board has no camber in the middle! I'm comparing it to my 161 on a level floor and the board has 0 camber between the feet. It's bascially a completely different rocker profile than advertised. EVO really fucked up on this. This isn't Jones' fault.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm 

Considering that last year's 'non-blem' Jones boards would have all been considered factory seconds by most QC-oriented companies, if you get something that Jones designates as a 'blem', it's probably dumpster bait. My 'non-blem' Solution also has zero camber between the bindings even though it is advertised as having said camber. Some of the other Solutions I have seen had a lot of hulling, gappy center seams, topsheet chips and epoxy lumps, etc. If you buy something even Jones considers second rate, be very afraid. :wink:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm 

Lol, I just hope my buddy I turned onto a 161 gets one that works :(
Not sure if I'll return mine or not. Structurally it's great but wtf at no camber. Lol it might actually rider better in pow for me as that's why I got the bigger size but still... :nononno:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 pm 

I'm blown away that anyone was allowed to see this thing. Third bad experience with Jones snowboards. I really want to support them but that's it! Done

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Lol, I just hope my buddy I turned onto a 161 gets one that works :(
Not sure if I'll return mine or not. Structurally it's great but wtf at no camber. Lol it might actually rider better in pow for me as that's why I got the bigger size but still... :nononno:

That's gonna be a killer pow board!!! You even have a little magna for ice or hardpack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:31 pm 

i got one of the hovercrafts. as it sits right now with no pucks or bindings on it the board is slightly hulled, but i am blaming that on the K clips and i think when i put bindings on it it will even out ok. the board does have camber. the K tip/tail hooks are extremely hard to move but i imagine they'll loosen up with use.

there is a very very very small area of ptex missing from the diecut white part of the mt. graphic right next to the inside edge, but it has been filled and is perfectly smooth so for now that's visual only...

the inner edge/lack of gap/magne is pretty much perfect.

the topsheet does have the "wider edge strip" on one ski that we saw on a few of these boards around here last season. and the Jones/Mt graphic at the tail is missaligned from one ski to the other... i guess i got lucky. :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 pm 

Darrick wrote:
I'm blown away that anyone was allowed to see this thing. Third bad experience with Jones snowboards. I really want to support them but that's it! Done

Post pics please