Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Further
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 am 

https://itunes.apple.com/no/movie/furth ... 74270?l=nb

oct 16th.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 pm 

Splitinbend wrote:
PedroDelfuego wrote:
You guys should start your own thread, or better yet use the fitness thread!!!!

Saw Further in Denver Thursday and it was a great movie. I always enjoy going to see snowboard/ski movies, they are the ONLY movies I watch in the theaters.

BTW: Talked to JJ at the show and he promised me that there is no shenanigans regarding the DVD release. They are no more in control than you or I. On a side note he (and I) were clowning on you guys for being so aggro and writing about conspiracy theories regarding "milking" the tour. I did however defend SB.com saying you (we) are mostly good people and can get a little uppidy waiting for the snow to fall. Were no TGR!

Cheers,

Delfeugo out!

" Were no TGR!"

Amen bratha!

Ha! So true. "Milking the tour...". Pfft. What kinda D-bag would say something like that?!

I keed!

Good news, will be watching the movie at home tonight! Thanks JJ and crew. Can't wait to see what you kids have been up to! :guinness:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 am 

Downloading Further on itunes right now, stoked!!

Tread light, Shred hard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 pm 

Why did I bother pre-ordering if I coulda downloaded it sooner for less money? My copy hasn't even been sent yet. :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 am 

so i had an itunes gift card and needed something to buy with it.

further was better than deeper(which i think is one of the worst snowboard movies to come out in the past few years). I grew up with TGR and while I will always love films like highlife, I am getting so sick of their movies. It is the same god damn formula every year- cool terrain, mediocre riding, annoying/repetitive commentary. Personally since this is supposed to be a "snowboard mountaineering" type movie I would like to see some better stuff. I don't know maybe i'm just more attracted to technical lines in the tetons or alps than verting up spines in alaska. The wrangells are pretty rad though. all in all not horrible and it did get me pretty stoked for the winter! oh and thank god terje was in it, it was nice to see some style :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 am 

Wonderful film.
Inspiring and beautiful.

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:16 am 

I somewhat agree with wasatch surf. Terje saved the movie with his riding. It was still a good, inspiring movie but I felt like it was lacking more progressive riding and I would have liked to see some more technical 'mountaineery' lines. It just didn't live up to it's hype for me personally. It felt nothing but 2 hours of wide open turns on big faces and couloirs with minimal airs. While the cinematography was much better than Deeper, the previous movie had more diverse riding (I always love deep pow segments in the trees). I'd love to see an Art of Flight type movie with about 1/3 of Further/Deeper type splitting content mixed in. That would be the ultimate snowboard flick. As far as a pure backcountry movie, I think someone should do it on a yearly basis, focusing on only 2 or 3 expeditions, on bigger lines, with a more documentary feel. The standard TGR formula in a backcountry flick leaves a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna watch it multiple times :)

My major gripe is repeating the mantra of getting away from your gadgets and computers over and over. We get it. There aren't phones and tv's in the mountains. Funny part is these guys all have satellite phones and are constantly looking at computers and digital pictures the entire time they're in the field.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:24 pm 

Agreed on all fronts. Did Terje put on the split for a couple skinning photo ops? He rode everything on his solid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:51 pm 

Some thoughts:

Personally, I never got the impression that this series of movies, Deeper, Further, and Higher, were promoted as films about snowboard mountaineering. My understanding has always been that they are films about backcountry snowboarding and exploring new terrain. I did not expect to see highly technical snowboard mountaineering, and was even a little surprised to see some of that style of riding in Deeper (Cham segment w Xavier). So, no worries from me on that account.

As to wanting to see more "progressive" riding, and more air time, one must understand that it is unlikely that cutting edge freestlye riding, and huge airs with technical spins etc. are going to be risked in very isolated environments.
A movie such as The Art of Flight has a heli right there, on the scene, and a hospital ER is just minutes away. In the Wrangell Mountains/St Elias NP, once the plane flies away, it could be days before one can get help if a serious injury goes down. All that has to happen is for it to get cloudy, and no one can land a plane to come and make a rescue. It is totally natural, and understood, that folks are going to dial back their riding a notch or two in these types of environments.
Alpine climbing is the same way, climbers do not take the same level of technical risks when climbing in remote areas as they do at road side crags.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Agreed on all fronts. Did Terje put on the split for a couple skinning photo ops? He rode everything on his solid.

I wondered that too :)

Personally I thought it was great. I'm going to disagree on the air/style points/freestyle aspects missing because as cool as that stuff is, the one thing I *really* loved about deeper was the reality feel of it. Particularly the scene in Chamonix that has about 30-40 seconds of Jeremy Jones struggling to turn onto toe side before a rappel. That shit goes down - but its not in movies typically because its not "cool". I think its awesome, for me the struggle I face going up something, battling with fear, struggling through a crux is some of the high points of my day - and its nice to see that others share that as well.

I'm not saying a freestyle segment wouldn't have been neat to watch - but barrows has excellent points, not to mention I don't really think the redbull/mountain dew/juicey fruit is gonna move ya kids are the real target market of these films anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

I should clarify that by progressive I don't mean kickers. I think I wanted more T Rice/N Muller type freeriding. Obviously that's hard to do in the Wrangells. Can't really explain how this movie fell short for me I guess. It's a lot of the same stuff over and over, just in different places. I really dug the Xavier Chamonix hop hop chink chink helmet cam stuff. I wanted more of that and maybe just some more up close, low angle, artistic pow riding with natural freestyle thrown in. Like deeper there were too many far away shots on lines that really weren't that interesting after you see a few in a row. It's like they tried too hard to only use high speed, steep pow riding and nothing on either end of the spectrum (a lot will disagree but I think they used TOO LITTLE p.o.v. riding footage too)
Like I said, the movie WAS great. I just think they could do a lot better. I think the sweetgrass crew could make a better movie with the same riders and same locations. I dunno, I need to watch it again I guess. Sometimes movies are better the second time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:56 pm 

BGnight wrote:
I think the sweetgrass crew could make a better movie with the same riders and same locations.
That would be a killer collaboration. I love sweetgrass, the nail the lifestyle and feel of backcountry, and I think they make some of the best movies out there, but with Solitare, there is so minimal amount of riding, just quick "teaser style" shots that piss me off. I want to see the shred more with them. Otherwise, their films kick major ass.

I haven't seen Further yet, holding out to a live premier currently. And I'm sure I'll be stoked still.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:20 pm 

Well, when you are doing it under your own power, in a place where there is no heli to drop the film crew off at just the right spot, or to film directly from the heli itself with a complex steadicam, there are going to be severe limitations on both the camera angles which are possible, and the quantity of footage you are going to get... Hence the very limited amount of riding footage in Solitaire.
On my first trip to Canada, out of crew of four, we hauled a 16 mm movie camera and its 40 lb tripod around to a bunch of spots, under our own power at all times. This is just not an easy task, and to expect folks using this approach to produce as much footage, with as good camera angles and quality results, as those doing everything with helis and snow machines is just not reasonable. I am actually very impressed with both the quality of the riding, and the quality of these movies, considering the inherent limitations of what JJ and crew are trying to do.
I do feel it is sometimes a shame that there is so much emphasis on Jones Team riders, but I understand that many top tier pros are not going to have the time in their schedule to dedicate to hanging in there on a project of this nature. That said, I did miss Xavier in this movie, the line he pulls off in the final segment of Deeper is one of the most memorable lines I have ever seen in any film.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next