Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starting from Scratch - Building from the ground up.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:42 pm 

On second thought, shaping the moulds was not that easy either. You have to measure a Maganatraction board and figure out where the contact points should be, and then draw it in Autocad. I had zero Autocad experience, so it took me ages. Also my moulds are not cnc'd but made by hand, if you can get a cheap CNC deal that would help a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm 

Gidday ieism

Good to see you gave it a crack, I've ruled out the idea of magnatraction myself. Given how tricky your build was I'd hate to think about trying it down the middle like a Jones (and arguably that's were you'd reap the most benefit).

I was using Board Crafter but I've now discovered Snow CAD and much like yourself it's a learn by doing scenario.

At the end of the day I can deal with firm stuff well enough on a cambered board. The only issue I've found with hybrids is riding spring slush at speed but that's probably more my riding style than anything else. One of my design concerns is when touring along a slope, I'm thinking a higher sidecut radius will give me more control/edge under foot which is where I want it. As far as I'm concerned the nose and tail and do what they like so long as I'm sure footed when splitting. Good call or bad call?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm 

No idea on that, I have two splits that are fairly similar in sidecut radius and have never tried anything else. But there is a tread around here about Furberg snowboards here that have a very large radius sidecut, I think someone may have made a splitboard out of one already and could tell you how that tours.

The board I'm building now has a very large sidecut radius too, but it's going to be a solid to start testing how it rides first. Maybe I'll make another split out of it next year. Good luck on you project, if you have any question let me know.