Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 pm 

I'm looking forward to trying some boots on soon, does anyone know when the One will hit stores?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 pm 

I would ask at your local Dynafit dealer… Make sure that they ordered them as well...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm 

How are these working for people with big ass feet (30-30.5)? I'm wanting ot get set up on these but am concerned about heel and toe drag...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 am 

nicholas wrote:
How are these working for people with big ass feet (30-30.5)? I'm wanting ot get set up on these but am concerned about heel and toe drag...

The TLT5 has a very compact shell. My 28s are the same functional length as my soft boots, Burton Driver X size 10. With a foot that large, you need a 27 waist board, or you need to ride high stance angles to avoid toe and heel drag. I do not think the TLT5s will make any difference in terms of toe and heel drag vs a soft boot of similar size.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm 

Just picked up a set, I'm super stoked to try them out. Gonna head out for ghetto turns on the Palmer snowfield next weekend to check em out.

I tried on the One boots too, but wasn't impressed at all. They remind me of the Primes in fit and feel. My (uneducated) impression is that the TLT5 is totally worth the $100ish more.

Do you guys feel like drilling your board for the Dynafit toe pieces is a huge improvement over the adapter plates? Kinda on the fence about this... thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Just picked up a set, I'm super stoked to try them out. Gonna head out for ghetto turns on the Palmer snowfield next weekend to check em out.

I tried on the One boots too, but wasn't impressed at all. They remind me of the Primes in fit and feel. My (uneducated) impression is that the TLT5 is totally worth the $100ish more.

Do you guys feel like drilling your board for the Dynafit toe pieces is a huge improvement over the adapter plates? Kinda on the fence about this... thanks for any input.

jefe: I have three seasons on mounting the Dynafit toe piece directly to the board via ski screws, and have had zero problems. But do not try this if you are not well versed in using ski screws. Over the summer, I have installed Quiver Killers in my splits for the Dynafit toe piece, as this way I can easily share one set of Dynafits over my three splits.
The advantage is that you save the weight of the adapter plates, and three relatively heavy M6 bolts. I love saving weight, but if you do not care about the weight, go ahead and use the adapter plates, as with everything Will does, they are very well made.

Alister at Chimera was kind enough to help me out and make my new board with no inserts for the touring bracket or heel riser, so this mount will be really clean without all the extra inserts (and their extra weight). Just heard I ought to have this board in a little over a week, psyched!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:30 pm 

[quote="barrows]But do not try this if you are not well versed in using ski screws.![/quote]

:lol: No way, I need to keep the ski techs of Portland employed. I'll probably try with the Spark plates first. My only hesitation is that I can't commit (yet) to making the Venture a hardboot-only board. I'm sure a few long tours with my tlt5s will convince me otherwise.

[quote="barrows]Just heard I ought to have this board in a little over a week, psyched![/quote]

Nice! Stoked for ya, they make great stuff. Cool idea to reduce weight by leaving out inserts...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:56 am 

After I couldn't find proper softboots in my size (MP 31 or 31.5),
I decided to switch to a hardboot setup.
I didn't want to open a new topic, so i ask here:

did anyone try the dynafit one boots?
how is the performance?
what about the length of the sole?

thanks for your help.

greets from germany
stefan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 am 

Stefan:

The ONE is a new boot for this year, so I doubt that anyone has used it for splitting yet. That said, is is similar to the ZZero 3 which I used before I got my TLT5s two seasons ago. The TLT5s are certainly better (lighter, and more flexible), but if you cannot fit the TLT5s, I suspect that you will be able to get good performance from the ONE. It will require mods to get it to flex nicely.
The cuff uses the same lock mechanism as the TLT5, so the same mods would work there. I would probably make a V shaped cut in the tongue to soften it as needed, and then cut down the cuff to soften the flex laterally and medially. One nice thing about the ONE is that it has the instep buckle mounted farther back on the boot shell: this should allow for really good heel hold down (important for toe side turns when riding): I actually moved the buckle on my TLT5s back a little to achieve a similar effect, and some have added another buckle in this location to achieve improved heel hold.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
No way, I need to keep the ski techs of Portland employed.

good looking out geoff! btw your board will be ready for the fresh snow this week...zig zag glacier here we come!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm 

thank you barrows for your reply.

the dynafit website says, that the "one" is a further development
of the tlt5, adressed for an expanded amount of costumers.
I read it as a cheaper version of the tlt5, with less hi-tech.

Or is it in truth similar to the zzero and they only use the
good name of the tlt5?!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm 

wmbs wrote:
thank you barrows for your reply.

the dynafit website says, that the "one" is a further development
of the tlt5, adressed for an expanded amount of costumers.
I read it as a cheaper version of the tlt5, with less hi-tech.

Or is it in truth similar to the zzero and they only use the
good name of the tlt5?!

The ONE, uses the same last as the Zzero Series boots, and not the lower volume, much closer fitting last used for the TLT5. The ONE then adapts the lightweight forward lean lock mechanism of the TLT5, so one could say it is a development of both boots. Another difference is that The ONE does not have the very thin sole of the TLT5, this, and the added volume will make The ONE warmer then the TLT5, but not quite as precise in fit or control.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:01 pm 

I tried on the TLT5 last spring and was disappointed to find that it doesn't fit my foot at all and was finally able to try on a pair of the Ones this week. It was better but it still didn't fit. I tried on a pair of BD Slants at the same time and they were a much better fit. I ended up ordering a pair of closeout Primes last night and have now started down the path of becoming a hard boot splitter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next