Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Acrophobia, The Fear of Heights.

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Acrophobia, The Fear of Heights.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:28 am 

Body and Brain: focus on breathing deep and rhythmically, like count 1 2 on your breath in and 3 4 on your breath out. I have this little breathing mantra I used to use surfing in Hawaii to keep from freaking out, I'd paddle with each arm breathing in 1 paddle 2 paddle, breath out 3rd paddle 4th. Try to set a little climbing and breathing rhythm in your head and you'll focus on what your doing and keep bad thoughts and panic away. Stop, make sure your breathing isnt shallow, check that you aren't over tightening back neck and leg muscles, and focus on your hands- their holds- and your feet, and the snow support under each foot. give a little check to each snow platform you make with each step before weighting it.

Gear: Stop skinning and just boot pack it on a firmer snow ridgelines with exposure if you are getting the creeps. Crampons- although they introduce their own health hazards and an axe or whippet can make you feel like a spider where you used to feel sketchy. Even a pair of verts in non-ice hard snow can increase your feeling of security by a large margin. If you don't have a lot of gear, take your poles or your shovel out and plunge them/it into the snow straight or horizontal & hold on near the blade to make something more solid to hold on to. Put another layer on if you are getting beat up in wind and blowing snow or just feeling like a little ant on a sandhill, the warmth makes you feel more safe, capable and optimistic. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:15 pm 

Excellent tips.

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share/ when coaching or receiving coaching. when trying to work through a fearful situation? In particular, when the person who is afraid is the your significant partner (aka your girlfriend or spouse).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 am 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share/ when coaching or receiving coaching. when trying to work through a fearful situation?

I was with a guide once and when we were about to top out we had to cross this ridge with what was probably a 1000ft vertical fall on one side. I told him that I tended to get dizzy in situations like that, and he said "no problem. bootpack RIGHT behind me and whatever you do, don't take your eyes off my boots". worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am 

Maybe take them to a climbing wall. My son is 7 and is afraid of moderate heights. When he first would get the harness on and get roped in he would maybe only climb to 6'-7', (not due to skill, he climbs like a spider). After a few attempts and talking about being afraid of going to the top he's tripled his height on the same wall. I'm not a drill sergeant dad by any means i let him explore his own boundaries and give him encouragement along the way. I think the harness and rope helps to give that added sense of security and gives you a chance to become familiar with high places.
Breathing and visualization of positive results (floating through powder) helps with any fears you have. :twocents: