Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snowboarding some burly lines in Jackson Hole
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

These are probably the same two dudes. http://vimeo.com/34534418#

I'm not sure what the point of posting non-split shit like this on a website where guys take as much pride in their line choice, ability to assess snow and understanding of mountains than they do in skill or gnar. I know a lot of guys who can ride a snowboard pretty good. Some guys are huckers others throw down with style. I personally prefer to ride mountains in style and if you don't know what I mean by style...nevermind.

Shredgnar..... your too soft. It's nice to hear a persons perspective of why they chose to ride a line. The thought process that went into it, etc. If you can't justify the line you rode than you shouldn't be riding it. Others can learn a lot from that and it opens up discussion which is what in my opinion makes this site so great. Otherwise it's just spam with no purpose.

I was checking out J. Eldridge post and saw a video of my buddy Coulter guiding some young rippers in SA. He was taking them through a beacon practice and I like this quote. "get to know this beacon and take PRIDE in your ability to use it".

I'm not saying I haven't triggered a few slides in my day. Some intentionally others not, I would gladly share my experience and story with anyone.......anytime. Take care.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

UTAH wrote:
Shredgnar..... your too soft. It's nice to hear a persons perspective of why they chose to ride a line. The thought process that went into it, etc. If you can't justify the line you rode than you shouldn't be riding it. Others can learn a lot from that and it opens up discussion which is what in my opinion makes this site so great. Otherwise it's just spam with no purpose.

I get sick of the criticisms by Internet Avy Rangers any time a patch of snow slides down a mountain so they can prop themselves up as an expert. The paradigm needs to change from telling people to take an avy class because they kicked of a mediocre slide, to a more constructive discussion of what decisions were made leading up to the events that have these IAR's panties in a bunch.

But bumping an old thread from last season to talk shit sure is classy. Maybe we should just search every thread on this site in which an avalanche occurred and bump it with some of our sage knowledge of the subject :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm 

I'm not trying to be the "danger ranger". Personally I think shallow soft slabs are quite manageable. But I also think the rider should consider their runnout. Even a small slide can be deadly if your pushed into a gully, washed through some trees or pummeled over a large cliff or small cliff for that matter. That's a good conversation. Sluffs are nothing more than a small avalanche, the dangers not in the sluff it's what's below you that's the hazard. I like how Jeremy Jones is open to discuss his lines so others can learn about it. He's also able to admit his mistakes. Maybe that's why people don't judge his decisions. He's open to talk about it and other people who have maybe never been to Alaska can learn from his commentary. When people ride a line like that and live we question their decisions, when someone rides a line like that and die we don't critisize we MOURN the loss of that person without judgement...just sadness. Take care.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 am 

See, we are on the same page. My comments were not directed as much at you, but at others who post one liners about their avy advice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am 

Slaboriffic, i like the musical choice, personally i am air and drop challenged, every drop seems bigger than it is to me :scratch: ! I'd be concerned if i was seeing this from below but nice work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 pm 

Hahah the thread that wouldn't die!!!