Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2 cents
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:49 pm 

onda wrote:
Neither Voile (board flimsy) and Burton (bad interface) does 1) and 2) equally, so here we are. Yes, one of them improves their deficiency, and we have a winner.

Hi onda,
I have great news for you! Both companies have improved their deficiencies. 8)

Voile answered the call for a stiffer board by introducing the new Mtn Gun. You can learn more about the board on the upper right hand corner of this page and also through their website.

Burton retired their interface design this year and the boards are now compatible with the time-tested, consumer-trusted Voile interface as well. 8)

Ps.
Even if you insist on doing it the hard way…we'll still ride with ya. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:24 am 

onda wrote:

Hey, we're in the early days of backcountry snowboarding, so maybe i do say carry more items. On multi-day trips you can get every type of snow condition, so I want 1) a bomber interface so nothing breaks out there and 2) the best board possible to take every situation. Transition time and weight come next.

Neither Voile (board flimsy) and Burton (bad interface) does 1) and 2) equally, so here we are. Yes, one of them improves their deficiency, and we have a winner.

Granted, i use clicker so the weight and transition for the above system would be further minimized.

I think you need to do a little more research. As BCR pointed out, there are new boards out on the market now.

2) I've logged at least a hundred miles skinning on my Prior w/ the Voile interface and I've never had a failure or lost a part. (Check out the trip report section)
3) Most of them were w/ BCR on his Burton interface...I never saw him have a failure or break anything in the field. (it does have it's faults but w/ proper maintenance which most are to lazy to do you won't have an issue until your pins wear)
4) I rode clicker bindings almost all of last season...highback on the binding is the only way to go though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:02 pm 

mtnrider wrote:

I think you need to do a little more research.

So true, but you and BCRider just did it for me!

My biggest concern was the hardware breaking, and if you logged all those hours with BCRider, then I feel better. My problem is my BC partner rides Alpine Touring, so I don't get any feedback except from here.

I agree that if you're careless, you'll have more problems. I almost bought some clicker Approach Skis to do some of that research, but bought Verts instead, and with my spare clicker bindings on them and the Burton split i think i'll be good.

Anybody here have any Vert experience? www.verts.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 pm 

onda wrote:

The "search" button is your friend. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:45 pm 

bcrider wrote:
onda wrote:

The "search" button is your friend. :)

That button ought to be a field, with a "make magic happen" button, and it oughta be on every page on the site! But we've already discussed this.

Verts are a fucking brilliant solution for steep powder booting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:50 pm 

Dave, I have play in my interfaces too. Not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about though. What I experience is twisting play, i.e. I can grab the back of the binding and slightly rotate it. It hasn't happened on my latest Burton, but it did happen on previous ones (in one case Burton sent out new interfaces - they worked fine for a while then started gradually developing the same play). I suspect it's just a matter of time. It doesn't really move enough to make the board feel strange, but it is worrying. In the past, I would tighten that main bolt under the heel lift, and that would fix for a trip or two. Eventually the bolt was tightened all the way, and that was it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where the play was coming from. It almost seemed like it had something to do with the sandpaper donut; if I remember correctly, the actual binding seemed to rotate on the interface, but not the interface itself. Weird.

dishwasher-dave wrote:
yo jgag & pwdrjunkie,

Thanks for the response i was half thinking nobody else experience this.

I used a littly epoxy to fix the pins from moving. I pushed them out just a tad to make them longer and epoxied them in place and that works fine, but the slop now seems to come from the interface itself. That is what is baffling me.

Did you notice the slop being only associated with the pins loosening and moving or also with the interface iteslf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:28 am 

bcrider wrote:
Burton retired their interface design this year and the boards are now compatible with the time-tested, consumer-trusted Voile interface as well.

Does this compatibility start since boards 04/05 or only 05/06?
How is possible making hardware changing in Burton borad?

Thanks
Tom
New split rider: if I find a splitboard in Italy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:18 am 

tom.lorenzo wrote:
Does this compatibility start since boards 04/05 or only 05/06?

tom.lorenzo wrote:
How is possible making hardware changing in Burton borad?

Its really not, unless you get creative. :)

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1805

Good luck and Welcome Tom! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:03 am 

jim,
you described what i noticed. i've played around with all the available screws, but can't seem to pinpoint the source of the slop. i don't have the best engineering brain, but it is still baffling not to be able to figure out what is causing the flex in the interface.
i have seen interface cracking which would be an obvious slop producer, but so far that is not case with my board.
the burton to voile adaption that jack has recently posted about on the main page seems like the easiest potential solution so far.

Post subject: Burton S 168
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:05 am 

I took out the 2006 Burton S 168 with the new Voile interface and dropped California shoot at Kirkwood last weekend. The board and interface performed excellent on the 2ft of fresh powder and the groomers going back to the resort. The new interface is ten times better then the old I have heard. I had no problems. I guess you now get the best of both worlds, a great board and a great interface. I would highly recommend.

:D :!:

Post subject: Voile on burton - the best of both worlds!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:46 am 

Yes! Funny you should ask. I just retrofitted my '03 burton split with voile split parts. It took me a long time to do it because I was also afraid to drill a bunch of holes in my board but I didn't have to. I'll tell you how.

I used to ride a split decision but got a good deal on a Burton a year and a half ago. The board is so much better that I suffered with the binding system until now - always longing for the simplicity of my old voile but not willing to go back to an inferior board. The Burton bindings are so bad however that I think it's actually a safety issue, especially on icy days. I honestly fear the day that I get stuck in the backcountry not able to get my frozen board together.

So I took the parts off my Voile and put them on the Burton. The pucks actually fit! No problem. You just have to spin the middle part until you get it to line up where you want with the predrilled holes and then make sure your plates slide smoothy on both pucks before you screw them down.
The problem is the tourning brackets. I tried to drill out the burton brackets to fit the voile plate - dont do that, it doesnt work. Instead, take a titanium drill bit (3 bucks at Smiths) and drill two holes in the Voile touring bracket to match the burton holes. You can take off the burton bracket with an alan wrench and then place it over the voile bracket and use it as a template to mark where you need to drill your holes. Now your voile parts will fit your burton without drilling any new holes in the board. The only drilling you have to do on the board is to mount the climbing bars which dont have to be T-bolted and really have very little stress. In fact, you can use one of the burton holes then turn the the climbing bar slightly off center so it will fit snuggly under the plate, then all you need is to drill one shallow screw to prevent rotation.

Now you have the performance of the burton board with the simplicity of the voile bindings and no T- bolts or swiss cheese board.

Anyone looking for a voile board with burton parts? - I'll give you a great deal!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 am 

Great idea! Since you can buy the universal pucks and discs (and other touring hardware) at the Voile store online, this might be the easiest way yet for Burton owners to convert to Voile hardware.

Post subject: 2006 Burton 162 Splitboard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:36 am 

Just got the new 06' Burton 162 w/ Voile hardware. What a sweet setup that assembled quickly and easily with a nice tight fit.

The only thing now we need is "snow". Last year at this time there was over 20' on Charleston and Griffith Peak w/ storms coming in almost weekly blessing the bc w/ fresh goodness. This year is almost bare...

Hiked yesterday to Mt. Stirling (a remote peak in the Spring Mtn. range w/ abundance of pinenuts and petroglyphs) and could clearly see Telescope and the Sierras snow packed peaks. Looks like it might be time to start doing some road trips to get in some riding and if anyone is looking for a bc partner shoot me an email. kiteboardinglasvegas A T gmail D O T com

At least their has been some good wind out here in the desert so the kiteboarding has been awesome and beaches almost desolate. I am looking forward to using the kite w/ a split soon for some sick hangtime and cover longer distance.

I will gladly post a review on the new Burton as soon as I get some time in on it. From the way it looks, Burton has put together a very sweet ride this year w/ solid interface.

Pray for snow,

Donnie B.
in Vegas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next