Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you cover your melon?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 am 

I think my most common frustration last season had to be sweating on my head. I tried a number of different beanies, light caps, etc. in all conditions, but continued to have to pull my wet and sweaty beanie off and swap it for a freshie. Many times in cold windy situations, this was not ideal. So help me out and let me know your favorite melon cover to tour in.

Post subject: Re: How do you cover your melon?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am 

If it aint jimmy hats...I'll be wearing this cap.

Dont put the sock on till you reach the summit and blow up a spliff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm 

In warmer weather (30F+) I just wear a ball cap, if anything. If it's a bit colder than that, I have a really light windproof beanie from REI that's perfect for high exertion activities when I want some wind protection but not too much warmth. Anything windproof and designed to be light enough to wear under a helmet should work. Mine fits under my snowmachine helmet perfectly, and even under a heavier beanie (like my MH Dome Perignon) for really nasty weather. It's probably my favorite hat ever.

If you've tried really light caps and they still wind up sweaty, maybe look at the rest of your layering system. Take off an upper body layer and see if that doesn't help cool your head down. I have issues with layering sometimes as well, because I'm fairly thin but burn really hot when I'm moving. I've been out at 25F in a thin tank top and a summer rain jacket with all the vents open and still sweating. Definitely no hat for that kind of situation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:57 pm 

Consider Buffs, for real, they're versatile and minimal.

http://www.buffusa.com/wear/ways_to_wear_a_buff

They don't even show the Tupac variation in the above link.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

I like to wear a Ice Breaker merino wool 150 Hoodie as a base layer and/or a merino wool Buff ,this combination serves me well on the high exertion of skinning.

I really like wearing the Ice Breaker hoodie as a it is always there for a quick on and off. no stopping to look for the Hat

Combine that the with LOKI All-N-1 Liner Hat™ (Balaclava)

Also the Loki jacket is great, as it has the integrated neck gaiter in the hood. http://www.lokiusa.com/product_list.php?cat=1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:52 pm 

After many years of searching for the right headgear, I finally found it. Actually, I copied someones steaz that I saw at the Eastside splitfest a couple years back (mighta been Bender, not sure). Trucker cap over a cotton bandanna. On a long tour I might carry extras to swap out if they get too wet. Works well for keeping sun off neck and ears, and absorbs a lot of sweat that would otherwise run into eyes. But I'm convinced on some days nothing is gonna help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:35 am 

^ Hey, I was going to suggest that. I use that method after wearing a doo rag under my bike helmet for years a light bulb appeared. Works well for us older heavy beer drinkers who sweat out the toxins on a daily basis. :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 am 

tigre wrote:
If you've tried really light caps and they still wind up sweaty, maybe look at the rest of your layering system.

This is solid advice. I recently refined my layering system in the last couple of seasons and it has made me a much happier, more efficient, and more hydrated splitter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 am 

i usually wear a baseball cap and then have 2 hoods in my layering system. one on the insulator layer, one on the waterproof layer. that and a beanie that sits in your jacket pocket and youve got several options of varying warmth and windproofness.

hoods are good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 pm 

Agreed. It's been a long time since I bought a mid or outer layer witout a hood! The r1 hoodie/ballcap combo is pretty much the shit for 90% of tours 90% of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:11 pm 

My buddy wears this under his helmet biking. I'm sure it would work like a bandana, but it has an extra out of the eyes brim under. I wear a trucker hat if hot, a thin beanie if cold, and a helmet coming down. Works for me.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!5t1K9wJhfTA0AaOCRkU!8A!/Halo-II-Headband-1?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CJbz5dSW_LICFVBgMgodLn8AxA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm 

Cotton bandanas all the way. Always got several kicking around in my pack, they are great for lots of stuff. On multi day tours I dry them out at night (throw em in the sleeping bag with me, they are warm and dry by morning).

Everything else I've tried, I'll just sweat through it, cuz I sweat a beastly amount. Even if I got another hat on to keep off the sun, snow or rain, I always got the bandana under there, soaking up the sweat. I've tried other headbands, and they are just not thick enough. By the time I pull the cotton one off to switch out for a freshie, I can literally wring them out.

This season was the first time I started wearing helmets for descents, and hated it at first but I think I'm finally used to it.

And I always got a beanie in my little emergency kit in my pack, along with extra gloves, spare binding parts, etc. Cuz ya never know. :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:29 pm 

Durr. Headband. Covers the important parts (ears) and lets the hair flap in the breeze.

Check out homeboy:

Seriously though, I've got a homemade sweatband that I often wear for the up. That, and check your layering. I run hot, so unless it's windy or frigid (below 10*F) I'm typically skinning in a short sleeve, vents fully open. In sunny spring weather I'll wear a trucker hat.