Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fitwell Backcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:36 pm 

Boom!^^
Lol shields up!
fruitbooter retaliation in 3,2,1... :lol:

Anyway, just hand checked lateral upper stiffness of my fitwells vs my T1's and Malamutes. Fitwells are way LESS stiff than both boots laterally above the ankle. The bottom is way more stiff so not sure if there's going to be any difference in skinning. Personally, I think it's a very good thing for riding performance. More steeze!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:50 pm 

quiver of boots just like a quiver of boards...man up and eat top ramen and spend all your money on gear like me.

judging by the sandals that ol jebus has rocked in the past, id say he'd be a soft booter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
quiver of boots just like a quiver of boards...man up and eat top ramen and spend all your money on gear like me.

judging by the sandals that ol jebus has rocked in the past, id say he'd be a soft booter.

+1 on a full, well rounded quiver

and heyzues don't need no stinkin boots

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 am 

BGnight wrote:
Boom!^^
Lol shields up!
fruitbooter retaliation in 3,2,1... :lol:

Anyway, just hand checked lateral upper stiffness of my fitwells vs my T1's and Malamutes. Fitwells are way LESS stiff than both boots laterally above the ankle. The bottom is way more stiff so not sure if there's going to be any difference in skinning. Personally, I think it's a very good thing for riding performance. More steeze!

ummm I look steezy as fuck in my tlt 5's who gives a shit about performance, my boots are shiny and I have the latest mods. People in the parking lot are jealous and often come up to me to touch and feel my boots. My fully auto crampons color coordinate with my boots and bd Z-poles, swag. Never mind the fact that i'm still slow on the skin track, I look really fast. One day I will probably even get laid because of hardboots and my dynadiddles( fingers crossed baker splitfest 2013 :bananas: ). those fitwells look like a fat retarded zebra, good luck in the apres scene with those thing. :thumpsup: :wink:

Oh and jesus christ looks like me.

glad to see a better option for softbooters coming out, sparks are a joke.

one day BG you will try (good) hardboots and probably still hate them, but in your heart you will know they are better. I agree with you though, I hope we all get some better snow this year!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:09 am 

watch out dan bc rider might ban you again! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:30 pm 

With the Fitwells and the Sparks it is nice to see the first soft boot designs coming out for those softboot riders who want to climb and ride conditions.

I hesitate to jump into this but.....

I assure you BG, AT boots are not going anywhere as a viable splitboard boot option. In fact, just as softboots are improving for the uphill, AT boots (TLT5M) are only improving for the downhill.

With the TLT5s, dialing in your set up is simple. The only mod I have done is to increase the forward flex by expanding a slot in an aluminum plate.

CB, if you must ride in walk mode and with a loose upper buckle, the boot model you have is too stiff for snowboarding. You still may not like them for riding, but I look forward to your thoughts on the TLT5M.

Russman, just as most softboots on the market are not suitable for splitboarding, most AT boots also are not suitable for splitboarding. The vast majority are too stiff in both forward and lateral flex or have the wrong flex profile for splitting, and do cause the issues you describe.

AT boots that have an expanded forward range of motion (typically through a simple modification) and suffcient lateral flex act very much like soft boots in a soft boot binding. The idea that the highback needs to be separate from the boot is incorrect and based on experiences with AT boots that are not suitable for splitting.

Subtle movement and the ability to stay over one's edge are what make a good snowboarder. I ride a lot of firm corn each volcano season and if I could not get subtle lower leg movement in my AT boots, I would not be riding them.

Enjoy the Fitwells. If I was a soft booter, I would certainly be ordering a pair to try.

We will all get better snow this year. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 am 

i dont know what to think anymore. i rode a few days ago in soft boots after a couple of months in hard boots and the soft boots were terrible.

and i have modded my bd primes to be incredibly soft, taking off the "triax" frame, cutting down the upper cuff, removing the power strap and cutting slits into the lower shell. i would say the flex rating on them has gone from 110 to "not applicable". i think sidewinders could solve my highback issue though.

this should be in a different thread...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:39 pm 

Hey guys, I've got a couple of (reasonably mellow so far) missions under my belt here in NZ in the Fitwells. So far I am LOVING them. Everything I've been wanting in a splitboarding boot, and the fact that this is Fitwell's first offering shows great promise in my opinion. Anyway, I wrote up a review for Rich at Splitn2 (who I purchased my boots from here in NZ). I figure I might as well link to that review, assuming that is ok by the board rules, here it is!

The review is pretty long, ha, but when you go from writing a thesis to a job where the most writing is a few emails per day, something's gotta give! And I figure that if people looking at these boots are anything like me, they'll want the full low-down!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 am 

thanks jimw for bringing the boot to further for us to see.

great review - tr-nz

looks like a great boot, but i'm wondering about the rockered sole and how that may affect performance in a binding.

tr-nz's review covers this issue and said is was a non-issue.

Any additional feedback?

Although kinda heavy IMO, they appear burly and looks like they could kick super good. I'd consider getting these as a quiver boot, mostly because I don't think I'd need that burly of a boot until spring or when I know I'll be doing a ton of mixed climbing, rock hiking, or climbing steep hard snow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 am 

It's a quiver boot for sure. I'm not gonna thrash mine riding resort or skinning perfect pow if I don't have to. I want them to last. The outer shell is built like a brick shit house and should last for years even with heavy use. I'll probably get some intuitions to replace the malamute liners I have in them now when I wear those out. I still have yet to ride mine so can't offer any other feedback other than I'm super excited to use them. I think these boots are a game changer :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am 

For christ sakes, BGnight post some god damn photos of your boots you SLACKER!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 am 

^^^ can't wait for the first TR using those!

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next