Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony NEX 5N - Any experience?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 pm 

I have been thinking of upgrading from a point and shoot for a while. I have gone back and forth on getting a DSLR, but have not pulled the trigger. Mostly is due to the weight and size, and knowing I probably wouldn't want to bring it most days. I also knew that I wouldn't have an easy way to access it, which I like in a point in shoot in the backcountry. I always thought, an in between DSLR and point and shoot would be great. That brought me to the Sony NEX models, which I have been researching. My price range is the 5N, not the 7 (which I have read is great, but too much for me). The reviews I have read have all been positive.

Key things I like
Lightweight and small (9.5 ounces, and 4-3/8 × 2-3/8 × 1-9/16")
Takes great pictures
Sweep Panoramic Feature
Shoots 1080p video (for about 15 minutes I've read)
Can do different lenses
Does a great burst (up to 10 per second, but 5 with focus for 2 seconds, then tapers)
Good iso and can do long exposure shots (which I've been dying to be able to do)

I know it isn't 100% a DSLR quality, but its damn close, and a good tradeoff for the weight and size I think.

I also found a good mount that will go onto my bags waist belt for quick access, which I believe is key.

What I'm wondering to hear some first hand experience with people using the 5N for splitboarding. Anyone have any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Sony NEX 5N - Any experience?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm 

I think Ron Burgundy has one of those.

I use this chest pack for days i want the slr:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:42 pm 

You ride with it on too? I was looking at options to carry, and found this, which I can put on my pack waist belt.
http://www.kata-bags.us/marvelx-20-dl-4-3-camera-pouch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:04 pm 

I haven't really looked into these type of cameras much (I ride with a dSLR in a chest harness similar to HFTs), but the little cameras with an APS-C sized sensor are intriguing. After a quick glance at the NEX-5N specs the only thing that I noticed that could be a problem is the touchscreen, which doesn't always play well with gloves. Just depends on which functions are dependent on it I guess. Plus, they do make some gloves that work with touchscreens.

Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 pm 

There is no beating a viewfinder for catching fast action shots. I see the 5n has an optional add on. Also consider taking a bad fall with that thing on your waist, it looks like separating the lens from the body would be possible in that scenario.

I would check these out too:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26360/COOLPIX-P7700.html (I use the P7000 when not toting the SLR)

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/V27528.27528/Nikon-1-J1.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Can't the fall be the same scenario with your chest protection? How do you get around that? I'd also be investing in the 3 year w/ accidental crash warranty.

I'll check out the stats and compare the two. I'm also interested because you can get the 5N for 200 off right now from Sony. Pretty good deal all around.