Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phantom Splitboard Bindings, Group Order (Hardboot Specific)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am 

The first release of the Phantom Hardboot specific binding will by pre-order only. In order to get the price listed below, we will need (30) people signed up and pre-paid before the bindings can be made. As soon as we hit (30), production will began. It will take between 4-8 weeks to make the bindings, and you will be kept up to date as progress is made. The goal is to get you bindings by Thanksgiving or the first week of December. The pictures below represent what your bindings will look like with a few minor exceptions: some of the cutouts will be filled in for strength and the bindings will be all Clear Hard Coated (gray color).

Bindings are for the descent. Touring requires tech toe pieces. Those toe pieces and adapter plates can be purchased from Spark R&D ! :thumpsup:

http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/dyna ... d-radical/

http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/dynafit-adapter/

For more information about the bindings and to post general binding questions, see the discussion thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13639&start=0

For questions about waiting list, please post here.

I will keep this first post up to date, so check in here first for news, pictures and videos.

Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phantom-S ... 1653710150

Pre-order is closed!

Waiting List Info:

If you would like to get on the waiting list, please send an email to: phantomsbb (AT) gmail.com

Please send me the following information: Make/Model/Size of boot, How many and what you want, Contact Info

Price:

$550 With Bails
$470 Without Bails

Here are the basic specs:

- Boot sole is 1/2" off the deck with no cant.
- +30 to -30 degrees foot angle adjustment
- can accommodated 0 to 5 degrees cant (shipped with 2.5 degree cants)
- each toe/heel block height/cant is independently adjustable
- stance width adjustable in 0.5" increments
- Fits wide range of boot shell sizes
- Uses Carving Company 5mm bails (AKA Burton Race Plate Bails, AKA Ibex Bails)
- Part of the binding is removed and collapses flat for storage during hiking.
- Interface clears snow/ice when putting bindings on board
- Works with both Voile and Karakoram board clips.
- Made from lightweight aluminum alloy. No plastic except for cants
- Does not use the Voile puck system.
- Only for riding. for hiking, use a tech toe piece

Detailed Specs:

Fits Boot Sizes TLT5
S: 23-26 Mondo
M: 26-28 Mondo
L: 28-30 Mondo

Weight
S Per foot:~1#8oz [680 grams], (best guess)
M Per foot: ~1#10oz [737 grams], (guess after cutouts filled in)
L Per foot: ~1#12oz [793 grams], (guess after cutouts filled in)

Overall length
S: 21cm (22cm diagonal)
M: 23cm (24cm diagonal)
L: 25cm (26cm diagonal)

Width:
S: 13.7cm
M: 13.7cm
L: 13.7cm

Pictures:

Design is Patent-Pending

HikeForTurns' Venture Odin. Just needs some tech toe pieces and this board is ready!

(Taken by HikeForTurns, Thank you)

Weights:

Size: M/L

Disclaimer:

These are experimental bindings. Use at your own risk!!!

Post subject: Re: Phantom Splitboard Bindings, Group Order (Hardboot Specific)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 pm 

Hey Keffler
What size boot is in the picture here? Also is the picture of the bottom of the binding the same setup as with the boot? I have size 12 (46) boots and wondering about the heel / toe overhang.

Looks like an impressive system. Congrats on the great design
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm 

Hendu, these are my size 28 mondo boots on a small/medium binding. I believe Keff said the M/L fits up to a size 30 (12-12.5ish)

Also the board width is 25cm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Hendu, these are my size 28 mondo boots on a small/medium binding. I believe Keff said the M/L fits up to a size 30 (12-12.5ish)

Also the board width is 25cm.

The small/medium is maxed out with the 28 Mondo TLT5s. The medium/large will fit the 30 Mondo TLT5 (The largest shell size they make) and should fit other manufacture's 30 Mondo. The M/L plate should not overhang for a 26 cm waist board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:03 pm 

E-mail just sent---the list has grown by one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 pm 

Just wanted to add some thoughts here on these bindings, and how much work Keffler has put into them. He started discussing various ideas with me at the end of the 2011 season, and by the middle of the 2012 season he was riding his first prototype. The very first day out on the first proto was a success, with no issues, and smooth transitions for the new system-this initial result is a really good testament to the reliability and performance of his initial design. Keffler continued to ride the first proto for the remainder of last season, with no problems, despite the binding being the very first proto he had made. Over the course of the spring and summer he started to develop the design further, resulting in big improvements in strength, and making the binding fully adjustable. I continued to provide him with feedback and my opinion, but all the design and fabrication work are entirely his own. Getting these bindings to this point required countless hours of drawing, thinking, building models, and finally expensive working prototypes. I doubt that Keffler will ever get financially rewarded appropriate with the amount of development time which has been spent, as this project has clearly been pursued to produce the best binding possible, without a thought given to making money, or even coming close to recouping expenses
At this point I cannot fully express how impressed I am with the Phantom binding at this point in its development. It offers a number of significant advantages, not the least of which is that it allows fine stance width and setback adjustment, and fully independent adjustment of stance angles to exactly what the rider prefers. This adjustment ability is a huge advance over the Voile pucks, and any other commercial splitboard binding system of which I am aware. Now we can dial in the exact width and setback of our stance, and then, the perfect angle as well from +30 degrees to -30 degrees. No more compromising. The boot sole to board distance is now virtually the same as with a pair of Sparks or Karakorams and soft boots; combined with the thin sole of the TLT5 the hardboot rider will have unprecedented board feel, removing the final compromise of a hard boot system. Additionally, John feels that the additional surface area contact of the binding to board surface results in better, more precise, board response-I have not ridden the system yet, so I cannot say the he is right, but I suspect that he is.
I am so psyched to be able to ride this new system this season!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:17 pm 

they use race plate bales right?

i'll take a pair sans bails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm 

Oh yeah!
Sign me up for a pair no bails please.

Thanks for your hard work! They look awesome!
Come on snow!

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 pm 

Count me in for a pair, with bails.

I have seen a bit of the behind the scenes hard work John has put into these bindings and how much effort he has put into getting AT splitters something that is simple, light, strong, and adjustable.

Thanks John.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:43 pm 

I would be in if there was a way to get steeper angles. Long time fruitbooter and ride 55/50 or at least 45/40 ? Is there anyway to do this ? I have a custom donek split thats begging for the perfect binders...

Jim in pdx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm 

p06781 and other HB Carvers

Quote:
I would be in if there was a way to get steeper angles. Long time fruitbooter and ride 55/50 or at least 45/40 ? Is there anyway to do this ? I have a custom donek split thats begging for the perfect binders...

Have your tried riding a splitboard with splitboard hardboot-bindings and Dynafit toe pieces? As a long time HB-Carver, I wanted higher binding angles. But the Dyna-split setup (Dynafit toe pieces, Spark R&D Dynafit adapters and G3 dual riser heels) gets in the way, while trying a keep the same < 21 inch stance width. Also riding higher carving angles. I tend to use cants, toe and heel lift. What I have found is that over time, I have lessen the stance angles to down to 21 degrees in front and 15 in the back to accommodate the Dyna-Split setup. I do not use cants or lifts (currently ride Bomber Sidewinders) when I ride with less angles. Although I could benefit from a little bit of cant and lift.

Cant and lift was discussed in Vapor HB binding thread.

If you have tried the Dyna-split setup... Great, I hope that you are offended here. I just want to shred" some light on the issue of using a Dyna-split and binding angles / stance width.

keffler can custom Phantom bindings handle higher angles in a Dynaft-setup? I was having trouble above 24 degrees and <21 inch stance width with the Voile slider tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 am 

In con bails, now let's do this...

Can we put together a group buy for dynafit toe pieces? Anyone know a guy?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 am 

Powder_Rider wrote:
p06781 and other HB Carvers

Quote:

Have your tried riding a splitboard with splitboard hardboot-bindings and Dynafit toe pieces? As a long time HB-Carver, I wanted higher binding angles. But the Dyna-split setup (Dynafit toe pieces, Spark R&D Dynafit adapters and G3 dual riser heels) gets in the way, while trying a keep the same < 21 inch stance width. Also riding higher carving angles. I tend to use cants, toe and heel lift. What I have found is that over time, I have lessen the stance angles to down to 21 degrees in front and 15 in the back to accommodate the Dyna-Split setup. I do not use cants or lifts (currently ride Bomber Sidewinders) when I ride with less angles. Although I could benefit from a little bit of cant and lift.

Cant and lift was discussed in Vapor HB binding thread.

If you have tried the Dyna-split setup... Great, I hope that you are offended here. I just want to shred" some light on the issue of using a Dyna-split and binding angles / stance width.

keffler can custom Phantom bindings handle higher angles in a Dynaft-setup? I was having trouble above 24 degrees and <21 inch stance width with the Voile slider tracks.

Hey Guys,

At this time, the Phantoms can not rotate to riding angles greater than 30 degrees. Maybe later in the future, I can make some custom board interface plate that will give you higher angles, but at this time, I just can't get.

When you have a narrow stance, the issues you stated above are likely to be an issue with any binding setup you go with, mainly because like you stated, the Dynafit toe piece does mount forward of your toe and requires extra room. With the Phantoms, you do need a little room around the binding to rotate the binding to take them on and off. I suspect that if you are having trouble with your current setup, mine will not be much different for this particular issue. Bummer.

-John