Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 701
Location: The Magic City
JSteigs wrote:
I have the Osprey Kode 38. There is no horizontal carry for the snowboard (at least not near your back like you're talking about). The only time I have carried my board with an ice axe, I carried it as two skis A-frame style.


You'll have to let me know how this turns out for you. I had the same pack and also carried my board splitski A Frame style. I'd shredded through the straps within three outings! It sucks because that's definitely the most convenient and efficient way to carry on the Kode.

_________________
http://mtsplitski.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 637
I've been using a BD outlaw 30L for a few years and have really liked it. I like the Avalung but don't really use it as I feel pretty confident in my ability to spot potential hazards. I mean, I take it out for every run, but I rarely think that I'll need it. Main wear points are the straps that hold the board in solid mode, vertical carry. It's three years old now, and has also been used for ummm... telewackering, but it started wearing through the straps early on. The only other qualm is the small hip pockets. These pockets could be enlarged with very little impact on weight.

That said, this year I'll be using a 30L Jones pack. Very similar to the Outlaw, sans avalung, and with bigger pockets. It also doesn't put as much strain on the avy tool pocket as the straps are configured to pull on the straps, not the pockets. Interesting to see actual advancements in pack building still going on to this day. It also has spectra fabric in crucial areas.

I also have a 40L Mammut pack that is super basic and could a-fram carry in a pinch. It is pretty cool though because I'm pretty sure that I could fit everything I need for a few days into the pack and keep it under 40 lbs. Fun part is the simplicity and durability of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:57 am
Posts: 5
I use a Blue Ice 45 and I love it so much I started importing them into Australia.

http://www.anomalie.com.au/products/blue-ice-45-l


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
whistlermaverick wrote:
Airbag packs.
Mammut RAS 30l just about everyday.
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/261000011_v_0067_30/Ride-R.A.S..html
Fits and carries all my day gear in a comfortable, and easy to access pack.
Still waiting for the larger Mammut RAS system packs which are supposed to be compatible/interchangeable with the current format.

I have an ABS Vario 40l which I have used for overnighters, I'm not very partial towards it.


During storm days in the resort its an older Black Diamond Avalung pack.


Does the Ride RAS have a frame carry?
Can't seem to find any of the Mammut packs with a frame.

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Whistler, Coast Mtns
Swedish-banana wrote:
whistlermaverick wrote:
Airbag packs.
Mammut RAS 30l just about everyday.
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/261000011_v_0067_30/Ride-R.A.S..html
Fits and carries all my day gear in a comfortable, and easy to access pack.
Still waiting for the larger Mammut RAS system packs which are supposed to be compatible/interchangeable with the current format.


Does the Ride RAS have a frame carry?
Can't seem to find any of the Mammut packs with a frame.




A-frame? I use the compression straps to carry my split when it's as 2 skis.
No internal frame.

_________________
Jamie May


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 21
I use a Cold Cold World Valdez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:48 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Kodiak, AK
Depends on my mood....

Mountain Hardware Wayback:

Image

Image

Image

Deuter Freeride Pro 30:

Image

Image

Or a Marmot BC30

Image

Image

Image

I like different packs on different days for different reasons. Overall I think I like the Deuter Freeride Pro 30 the best. Comfy, pockets galore, great harness, totally bomber, the best gear carry setup.

_________________
Jones Solution 163W
Venture Zephyr 164/260
Never Summer SL 163X
Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm
Posts: 40
bshubpow wrote:
I use a Cold Cold World Valdez


Bshubpow: How do you like the Valdez? Any pros/cons?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
shredgnar wrote:
I've been using a BD outlaw 30L for a few years and have really liked it. I like the Avalung but don't really use it as I feel pretty confident in my ability to spot potential hazards. I mean, I take it out for every run, but I rarely think that I'll need it. Main wear points are the straps that hold the board in solid mode, vertical carry. It's three years old now, and has also been used for ummm... telewackering, but it started wearing through the straps early on. The only other qualm is the small hip pockets. These pockets could be enlarged with very little impact on weight.

That said, this year I'll be using a 30L Jones pack. Very similar to the Outlaw, sans avalung, and with bigger pockets. It also doesn't put as much strain on the avy tool pocket as the straps are configured to pull on the straps, not the pockets. Interesting to see actual advancements in pack building still going on to this day. It also has spectra fabric in crucial areas.

I also have a 40L Mammut pack that is super basic and could a-fram carry in a pinch. It is pretty cool though because I'm pretty sure that I could fit everything I need for a few days into the pack and keep it under 40 lbs. Fun part is the simplicity and durability of it.


Do you think 30L is enough space to fit everything you need?
Can you fit ice axes, crampon etc.?

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 637
Swedish-banana wrote:
Do you think 30L is enough space to fit everything you need?
Can you fit ice axes, crampon etc.?


Absolutely. I even carry verts inside the pack on occasion. I haven't tried it with the Jones pack yet, but I think that I will have slightly more room due to the lack of an avalung.

The 30L size is perfect for long daytrips for me. I usually carry a full camelback, skins and/or crampons (for the split or feet depending), a puffy layer, maybe another fleece layer, Avy tools, sunglasses, extra pair of warm gloves, camera in the hip pocket, and a small first aid kit and some cliff bars with room to spare. I'll carry an axe on the outside if needed. If I were going overnight I would need more space or strap on a few things onto the outside.

The BD Outlaw gets uncomfortable with excessive weight because the avalung kinda digs into your shoulder but it's not bad. The Jones seems to be a little lighter but more durable fabrics and design. I'll write a review when I can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:06 pm
Posts: 55
Location: SoCal/June
I used the BD Outlaw size M/L last year and it was perfect for day tours but found it to be a little too small for overnight or hut trips. So after researching and reading through countless posts about every different pack out there, I inadvertently found the Osprey Kode 38 at REI when I was shopping for some wax. So after an hour of tearing this pack apart in the store I decided to go home and order it online (I know how the sales people love that).

I think this pack will do everything I need it to do and then some...

38L and I don’t think that includes the brain which is big enough to store a helmet so it’s pretty sizeable.

Vertical solid board carry as well as A-frame
Back panel entry
Insulated H2O
Separate pocket for shovel, probe, etc...
2 BIG hip pockets
Internal frame for heavier loads

Plus I am sure I will figure out some other handy traits this bag possesses as the winter progresses and I use it more.

_________________
“If I took a principled stand on everything in my life, I wouldn’t have any time to live it"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:32 am
Posts: 561
Location: Dethbridge, AB
North Face Patrol 34. Good pack, like it a lot more than my ancient Deuter Freerider.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
shredgnar wrote:
Swedish-banana wrote:
Do you think 30L is enough space to fit everything you need?
Can you fit ice axes, crampon etc.?


Absolutely. I even carry verts inside the pack on occasion. I haven't tried it with the Jones pack yet, but I think that I will have slightly more room due to the lack of an avalung.

The 30L size is perfect for long daytrips for me. I usually carry a full camelback, skins and/or crampons (for the split or feet depending), a puffy layer, maybe another fleece layer, Avy tools, sunglasses, extra pair of warm gloves, camera in the hip pocket, and a small first aid kit and some cliff bars with room to spare. I'll carry an axe on the outside if needed. If I were going overnight I would need more space or strap on a few things onto the outside.

The BD Outlaw gets uncomfortable with excessive weight because the avalung kinda digs into your shoulder but it's not bad. The Jones seems to be a little lighter but more durable fabrics and design. I'll write a review when I can.


Where did you get it?
I've been looking on the net but can't find a store where it is in stock.

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group