Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2013 Donek Hazelwood
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 pm 

Hi Guys,

My new board won't be ready for a few weeks but I'm tired of summer so I thought I'd post this up. The board goes to production this week so I should have it in a few weeks. Once it gets here I'll post up some pictures and then follow up with some review information later in the season. My objective was to create the perfect board for steep chutes/couloirs so hopefully it turns out like I want. Here are the specs:

Board: Donek Hazelwood
Length: 175
Waist: 27.5
Shovel: 32.8
Tail: 31.2
Radius: 10.3(nose) to 12.3(tail)
Construction: Wood core with carbon layup (same concept as Prior XTC)
Topsheet: Some flame graphic on Carbonium topsheet (same as NS)
Bindings: Waiting on some Kefflers
Boots: TLT5M (size 28)
Me: 6'4 and 215lbs

Intended snow conditions are what I call "mixed powder" which involves soft snow with crud and debris thrown in. I wanted to keep the radius fairly tight and the overall length down because I'll be riding in areas without a lot of room to manuever. I'm hoping I found a good comprimise of turnability and still having enough edge on the snow when it isn't as soft as expected. There's a little bit more taper than what I usually run which hopefully keeps it lively.

Since the board will get a lot of play on the really steep stuff, I increased the waist a bit since I've been running relatively flat angles the last few years. I'm also hoping this helps with float given the shorter length for my weight.

Anyway, I should have more information up as the season goes along. Sean was extremely good to work with, super responsive and easy to talk to. So far I've been very happy with Donek.

Post subject: Re: My 2013 Donek Hazelwood
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 pm 

Dude, rockin board. Specs sound a lot liek my 182 Donek Hazelwood split, except for wider, which is probably one of the only things I would change about my board, except maybe make it like 12-14m sidecut (I have 10.3-12.3, exactly like you, pretty sure). Also, if you read my thread about my board, you saw I wish mine had the Carbonium Topsheet as well.

As far as the carbon layup goes, did you just have Donek do their standard carbon, like in Snowman's carbon Nomad? Or did you have your own custom layup created?

I think the board will be perfect for the conditions you want it for. Congats on a sick board. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm 

So they do split the hazelwood, right?

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am 

Douglas Mafia wrote:
So they do split the hazelwood, right?

I paid extra to have it split... so I sure hope it comes that way.

idtmcp542 wrote:
As far as the carbon layup goes, did you just have Donek do their standard carbon, like in Snowman's carbon Nomad? Or did you have your own custom layup created?

It's their standard carbon layup. It's pretty much the same as the Prior setup I rode last year. They still do a wood core but instead of glass, they use carbon on top. Donek gives you the option to run with a topsheet or just straight carbon. Running straight carbon makes you look rich and saves 1/2 pound but Sean said it's not very durable and suggested a topsheet which is what I did.

My buddies with carbon skis have snow stick to them like crazy so I think it's probably best to have a topsheet anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 am 

lol...yeah, i'd say it had better be split. how much extra, if you don't mind my asking?

Unity Dominion 180

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am 

Douglas Mafia wrote:
lol...yeah, i'd say it had better be split. how much extra, if you don't mind my asking?

It's a $250 upcharge to have it split which includes clips and hooks. All in, the price was $1,300 after the carbon upgrade and shipping. That's pretty close to what I spend every year with Prior for a custom board so it was worth it to me to try something new and see how I like it.

Donek has more flexibility in custom shaping than Prior does which was the determining factor for me. I guess that could be good and bad, you could draw up an unrideable piece of crap and they would make it for you.

Since I knew exactly what I wanted ahead of time, it made sense to go with Donek. I'll be comparing the quality against some Prior, Voile, and NS boards that I have so we'll see how it stacks up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 am 

i've really liked the donek boards that I've rode in the past.

at first read, I was like :shock: - 27.5 waist and saying 175 is short - but then I saw your size. :D

good looking radius and i'm sure the carbon will be nice on the weight savings for such a big board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm 

Having started on a Prior Spearhead and moved on to my 182 Donek, I think Donek has a bit more durable construction (as to be expected with Colorado vs PNW companies), but I really have yet to put it to the test, as I've only gotten about 10-15 days on it so far, and only two with new (wet) snow.

My board is pretty heavy, but I didn't really have the money to get carbon, and Sean didn't recommend it for durability reasons. I wonder if he meant that about not having a topsheet.

Quote:
That's pretty close to what I spend every year with Prior for a custom board

Thats right, you have those two big Priors, right? Any chance you're looking to get rid of either of them? Even if not, I'd still be interested to hear the specs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
Thats right, you have those two big Priors, right? Any chance you're looking to get rid of either of them? Even if not, I'd still be interested to hear the specs.

I have had 4 Prior boards over the years, only one of which is still alive. I've had two Spearheads, a Khyber, and a BC Split. The first Spearhead wore out after 4 years of usage, the BC Split after two. I bought a Spearhead last season in carbon and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, I stuck it into a tree late in the season and put it in an inoperable state. That one was only slightly modified, I had them increase the waist to up the sidecut radius and add additional carbon stringers for stiffness.

I still ride the Khyber and like it but it's just too short for deep snow. I just had them add carbon for stiffness but I wish I had gone wider in the waist. Also, I should have gone longer than the stock 170 but all the cool kids were buying short boards so I tried to jump on that bandwagon. Maybe all the cool kids are riding coastal snow and not the lighter stuff we get here in the Wasatch... or maybe I'm the only guy over 200lbs that wants to snowboard.

I always got the feeling from Prior that extensive customizations really cramped their style. Given that they typically run a big backlog of work, having to slow everything down to make my one-off board really cost them time and money. For me, a smaller shop like Donek is probably going to work better since they have more flexibility to change what I'm looking for. I'm hopeful it works out well since I have a bunch of ideas I'd like to run through them for future boards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:49 am 

Congrats, Don - the specs look good. Eager to hear a ride report and see a pic or two!

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 pm 

The lead time was really starting to kill me... board took way longer than first estimated. It's not like I would have used it by now so really not too big of a deal but still longer than I thought. Anyway, got the board in hand now and unbelievably stoked to get out on it. Here are some picture links for others looking at a similar build:

Tip Rocker: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=ot7btuhKQGUtWPZ7PZkfzQ
Board was bought to hit the steeps so didn't want a bunch of rocker... turned out perfect. The tip of the board is actually about the same height off the ground as a Prior Khyber I own and consider to be over-rockered but the rocker/camber transition is much closer to the end of the board.

Tail Rocker: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=379EjDXeREwv9kK6J3jvpw
Can't really even call it rockered, very little rise at all on the tail. I went with a bit of setback which should help keep the tail out of the way but still not sacrifice pop when hitting a high speed turn.

Camber: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=v5YCIhsFRG0pohfms1KzkE\
Very cambered. Not for everyone but I dig it. Maybe it's a function of being over 200lbs but I'm a fan of really cambered stuff.

Nose Shape: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=v5YCIhsFRG0pohfms1KzkE
One of the reasons I went with the Hazelwood is that I didn't like the big shovel on the Nomad for steep riding. I feel this is a pretty good compromise for powder riding but still leaving a bunch of edge on the snow.

Tail Shape: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=c3RJpTQXTfAhdsQ1wZaQtw
Nice blunt shape to keep it out of the way without having to rocker it. Combined with the taper I'm hoping it's still pretty agile for the size.

Full Length: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=-PQdUU_jQKImwd-KOMC1y8
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=q8UCtMtFT-gnsX9dsUxOAE
Wife is going to get tired of it in the living room but that's how it's got to be until we get enough snow to justify breaking out my new baby.

Base Graphic: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=dFPfMrGtS9Mlc_FgdxcjK4
Nothing too flashy...

Put the board on the scale and it came in just under 10lbs. This puts it almost a full 2lbs heavier than the 178 Carbon Spearhead. While this board is 3cm shorter it's a lot wider than the Spearhead (311/265/295 Prior vs 328/275/312 Donek). One other thing I found interesting is that the Spearhead is right around 1cm thick in the middle but the Donek is 1.3 and the difference seems pretty consistent the length of the board. Not sure if the extra bulk will lead to better durability but the thing feels pretty bomber. I'd say it's easily as burly as my Never Summer split which has taken a ton of abuse. The job they did splitting it was pretty precise, boards line up pretty much perfectly the full length and I couldn't find a defect or blemish anywhere. Also, the board is seriously stiff, I had them add some carbon stringers to ramp it up.

Kind of funny but as perfect as the board turned out for me, you could never sell something like this retail, most people would hate it. Makes me happy we have some quality custom builders out there for fun projects like this. Got some frickin sweet bindings in the mail this week from Keffler, going to be an epic winter!

Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm 

That board design is so very rad. I love how each Donek is a unique species. No two are alike. Each has a backstory.

I really like your thinking on this design, camber and regressive sidecut included; it's going to be a floaty, solid, fast, stable and nimble ride - a perfect all around backcountry gun for a large rider who knows how to turn. I can't wait to hear how ride attributes match or differ from what you intended. The fact that most of the snowboarding population would never try or buy such a deck sings to the merits of the design.

Well done and happy shredding! :thatrocks:

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 am 

Thanks for the great write up Don. It was my great pleasure to have my hands in the construction and finishing this beautiful splitty. Very much looking forward to your ride review. Enjoy the new deck and THINK SNOW!