Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Out of Control
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 pm 

Would you guys shut the heck up about that slide for life, I had almost forgot about it. :nononno: :oops:

I'd give you advice, Tex, but that would be like me telling you how to smoke weed, except the opposite cause we're experts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 pm 

toilet paper coulior! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 pm 

Quote:
We called that chute the Toilet Paper Coulior in honor of the brown streaks that you and eco laid down in there.

well, this one is brown, yellow and red. What shall we call it my Hippie friend?

How you been doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:15 am 

Quote:
shit - age has got nuthin' to do with it

Get back to me when you're tapping into 50+

It ain't that much a physical ability thing. I've seen Tex skin & ride & he has plenty of skills and ambition. Its the disconnect mentally. Brain says "hop turn now!" legs don't react or they react way late. Brain says "stay loose, flex, flow" legs/knees go stiff. Same shit as why we get CRS at this age. That's why mechanically cranking the forward lean helps so much. Don't have to rely on the mental part as much. Maybe if you're killing it 4+ days/week it all stays intuitive & reactive more than mental but for us weekend warriors age plays wicked mind games.

I read a book that indicated its actually a calcification process that occurs naturally in the nerve endings and brain transmitters as we age. When it gets bad enough it results in Alzheimers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:51 am 

You are right Lew, It does take its toll. And what sucks is you cant do a thing about that part. Not fooling myself, the green cloud doesnt help as you get older either

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:24 am 

lewmt wrote:
Quote:
shit - age has got nuthin' to do with it

Get back to me when you're tapping into 50+.

So what's my excuse?

Not sayin age doesn't matter but I've seen tex rip the shit out of similar lines. IMO its about reps on steep chutes with marginal snow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 pm 

TEX wrote:
well, this one is brown, yellow and red. What shall we call it my Hippie friend?

It's right there in the title... Green Stone :mrgreen: :doobie:

Can you tell us at what point in the video (roughly) your ass touches down? Maybe your confidence has gotten low in that situation and so you are looking too much to bail onto your ass/axe. Only once you are on your ass you have lost all the pressure on your edge and you slide slide slide. It's always a good idea to follow PJ's advice, especially:

Quote:
uninstinctively lean forward on the heel side

I think Mr. Burt gave me the same advice too. (Or actually maybe it was Mr. Zellers.) On the heel side the brain instinctively fears the big exposure below you. It makes you want to lean back onto the comfort of the slope. But as your center of gravity moves behind the board, it take the pressure off of your heel side edge and and you go for a ride. As Mr. Zellers points out, no one ever actually falls forward over their toes while riding steep heel side, even if the fear center in the brain is screaming from all the exposure below you. The common mistake is to lose your edge by falling back toward your ass.

Quote:
How you been doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood?

Working waaaay too hard my friend, and broke as shit. Oh I wish I could be a wage slave again for a little bit but now that I have tasted being an entrepreneur I am probably ruined. I hope to get some riding in this season though. We will see... Looking forward to Further in SF next week! Hey anybody want to buy a sculpture off of me? I found an awesome beach with lots of driftwood and feathers. I'm looking to trade my creative artwork for a share in a ski lease next year or possibly season tickets somewhere. Or a meal even, plus I'll clean your windshield.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hows the new pup coming along?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm 

This may not help the heelside edge problem, but in situations like that I often revert to getting on my toe edge INSTANTLY. I feel like I have more control, and I think it's a bit easier to balance myself and gain purchase on my toe edge.

If you're sliding like that and can't gain purchase, you need to change something very quickly, before you get out of control.

Again, it's best to get more comfortable on both edges equally. But if it's life or death, or, say, you're about to slam into a rock wall, I go with whatever is going to get me back into control ASAP.

The problem is that, the only way to test this out is to go put yourself into another uncontrolled goretex slide.

TEX wrote:
please tell me what you think Im doing wrong.

For starters, you went snowboarding in June of one of the worst winters on record....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:59 am 

Quote:
For starters, you went snowboarding in June of one of the worst winters on record....

Oh thats a good one BCD. But, the trip did have a positive side. I caught my first Rainbow trout thanks to Mike, Josh and Sven

and. like you said I dont want to hang on my toe edge in steeps to long. Maybe because of bad history or im just scared

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 am 

I think we should hit a resort day and burn some hot laps and concentrate on your skills. It definitley helps. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am 

Quote:
I think we should hit a resort day and burn some hot laps and concentrate on your skills. It definitley helps

Yep i talked to JimW about going up to kookwood so he can yell down at me when Im screwing up.

You interested in the mammoth opener? I most likely cant make thursday but saturday would be fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:02 am 

A focused resort day or 5 sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not a passholder this year so I think I'm going to have to look at resort days as BC training sessions.