Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How R U Getting Prep'd for 12/13 Splitboarding?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm 

I like to keep

and

and

and

and

and trail running, and swimming, and mountain biking, and backpacking, and yoga and shooting roids!!!!!! Well everything is true except the last part. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 am 

I'm prepping the same way I always do. Bike, hike, skate, climb, drink, repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am 

By splitboarding, of course!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm 

turns all year dawg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 am 

two part time jobs. working 60 hours a week. it's paying off though, lots of gear and savings for the winter. have had one day off since may and that was the 4th of July and was spent putting down pitches at tahquitz.

oh, and a little surfing and climbing here and there:

god i can't wait for fall.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:35 pm 

As a "mature" athlete, I spend the off season cycling, both road and mountain, as I like the level of fitness which cycling develops, and low level of impact associated with it. I have already had my right knee 'scoped once, and a fair amount of the cartilage removed/trimmed, so I like to keep my legs and aerobic strong with a s little impact as possible, to save my joints for splitting.

Additionally I skate a little bit from time to time, for balance tuning, and in the fall, I will incorporate some uphill power hiking on some very steep trails around Boulder to help me transition into Splitboard season: the cycling makes the legs strong, but the rough trail work really helps to stabilize the joints, and work the other muscles which are not really engaged on the bike.

I also try and get my gear together in the off season, set up new boards, test bindings, fine tune the gear kit, etc...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am 

As an "immmature" athlete...maybe one of the youngest on the forum, I am preparing by: longboarding, climbing, mountaineering, and mountain biking.
Climbing and mountaineering help me get used to tecnical situations, altitude, and crampon/Ice axe work.

Mountain biking is great because it's aerobic and on the decent it tunes my fine motor skills...(sound like splitboadring anyone?)

And last, Longboarding, not your typical riding either...true freeriding. I'm talking 35mph+, long distance pushing, and sliding lots of sliding.
However I also got some turns up at Alta in June.

Also editing videos...
[vimeo]<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45535254" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/45535254">winter 2011/2012</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user11605145">Hayden Beck</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>[/vimeo]

Sorry guys, Mostly resort footage as The conditions were scary this winter in the backcountry...but none the less I will have footage for you guys next season

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm 

This is more of a confession than anything... I have to out myself. Being in the closet just isn't healthy anymore. I've been doing spinning classes. As in stationary bicycling, at the YMCA.

My name is Chris and I'm in a spinning class. Wow, I feel better. :oops:

Anyway, I hate the concept and I've been making fun of my wife for doing this shit for years. The idea of sitting on a motionless bike, indoors, listening to shitty techno music makes me cringe. All the more so because I live where I can climb on my bike and 2 minutes out my garage door I can be on single track in some nice ponderosa lined canyons.

But the fact is I'm busy and I'm old. I work a lot and have young kids. And I can burn more calories in an hour of spinning, listening to that shitty techno music with a bunch of housewives (my own included), than I can on my mountain bike in 3 hours. The Y has child care so my wife and I can hit the bike for an hour and then, if we're up to it, get on the climbing wall with the kids afterwards.
I hate spinning a little bit less each time I go, and it seems to be working for me. It's great cardio, good for the core and the legs. The only thing I can't get over is the crappy tunes. I'm going to make up a punk playlist and bribe the teacher to play it one of these days. It was so bad last night I was begging for Bon Jovi, Michael Bolton, whatever, anything other than more Madonna and Cher.
Also, there's a super-fine 20 year old chick in there. That seems to help me hate it less.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 pm 

-working a ton
-reading up on new locations, gonna print out a bunch of info.
-getting gear (got my first split in the works, 2008 rossi jones 166, voile diy kit). found some malamutes in my size for $145shipped
-selling off stuff i don't need/budgeting for the season
-put my 3 weeks in at work. after labor day weekend i'm pretty much unemployed til ski season. thinking of trying to get 30 14ers in sept/oct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 am 

and getting my new truck ready to go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am 

As a "middleaged scumbag sk8rat" athlete, Im trying to save money all summer to not work the winter, Im saving by drinking Budweiser, and dating chicks with full time jobs. Sk8n Vert helps with riding style, and keeps my body tough... I also try to hike at altitude with a full day pack... I plan to attend most (if not all) of the West coast splitfests this next year! And as far as gear...New skins, sparks, boots, gloves, goggles Bibs, and choppin a new stick :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm 

Riding bikes, looking for gear. And building my new split rig.

just finished gutting it. Now a few small wood repairs re insulate and it'll be ready to roll

www.adventurelogistics.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm 

Brewing beer and getting fat.

Tomorrow I'll surf, brew some beer and put back on the calories I burned surfing.

I'll be fat and out of shape come winter. But I'll still climb with anybody.

(*Note: You astute younger bucs (and bunnies) will note above how a crafty old codger just got a built in excuse for not breaking trail come next winner.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next