Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Nug Raduction - Latest Marketing Buzzword?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm 

What are your thoughts on this? This years gear is starting to surface and I just read about this. Apparently you can downsize your board about 8-10cm. Call me a skeptic.

Each new board I buy gets longer and longer. 160 -> 163 -> 166 -> 168 -> and now I added a 180cm to my collection. Maybe I need to ride stiffer boards cause I feel like I'd go over the handle bars too easy on those short boards. I am 6'3" though.

Post subject: Re: Burton Nug Raduction - Latest Marketing Buzzword?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 pm 

Seriously....

They don't even put the specs on the single size boards like the cheetah. The Raduction and associated short sidecuts probably work great if your charging at 5mph and need float. While my boards have stopped getting longer, I'm finding a lower limit on size at about 155cm for a "fucking around" park board and most of my sticks lie in the 157-162 range (I'm 5'6" or 165cm).

If I were to give the benefit of the doubt (I'm not), the size, shape and sidecuts would work great in the NE and Midwest snowpacks and tight trees.

I still love their boots/binders, but I shake my head at the decisions made to "dumb down" the boards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 am 

Everything Burton is marketing overhype douchebaggery. Has been for so long.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 pm 

Egats! :shock: Talk about throwing a lemming to a viper pit! But I will throw my neck out there. Just picked up a 152 nug. If anybody even cares to know I can offer some unbiased feedback as the season unfolds. Can't wait to ride. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm 

Wow-

Some of you guys are worse than 1980s skiers in your close mindedness...

Don't knock it until you try it- whether you like it or not, this is the future of boards. Say what you want to about Burton and marketing buzzwords, but there's little debate as to the fact that JG is a genius.

A little background- I've been snowboarding over 25 years. I've ridden everything made, and have always been more 'longboard' inclined. I've had a 181 in my quiver for over 10 years, and actually spent 3 seasons riding nothing shorter than a 174.

I've ridden older 'lunch trays' and 'minis', and the nug is a completely different thing.

I spent last season riding a 148 split 'spliff' (directional nug), and my 168 split will sadly be gathering dust from now on.

I'm 6 foot, 190 pounds, and fucking charge the hill. I used to race super G and boardercross.

Guys like Dave Downing are not riding these boards just because they're paid to. He could certainly ride a custom x if that was his preference...

Honestly, you just have to try it.

http://youtu.be/5yyrZSAD75A

(I can't figure out how to embed video, but maybe someone can post this up here)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:53 pm 

lewmt wrote:
Everything Burton is marketing overhype douchebaggery. Has been for so long.

ever since i stepped onto a split i haven't paid them one minute of attention.

and this doesn't really tell me much other than the boards are "optimized" (said with special accent for special effect to seem that much awesomer).
Quote:
Nug Raduction
Nug Raduction optimizes every element—from waist width and flex profile to sidecut and running length—letting you downsize up to 10cm from your normal board length. Light and lively, easy to throw around, surprisingly floaty, poppy, and stable at speed—Nug Raduction will change the way you look at board length for good.

earthsurfing wrote:
but there's little debate as to the fact that JG is a genius.

funny you say that... i have a vhs! copy of scream of conciousnous from like '91. first snowboard viddy i ever went to the local art theater to see. anywho, there's a scene with JG testing boards on some eastern ice rink. specifically, there's JG showing a board that spins on its center, obviously rockered. he goes on to say, "you should not this board". my how times have changed.

earthsurfing wrote:
Don't knock it until you try it

i would love to try it. but not a single manufacturer brings demo days to my local podunk hill. and i'm not exactly rollin' deep in c-notes to go buy one on a whim.

802smuggler wrote:
Can't wait to ride.

and the rest of us will be waiting for a full report.

i did notice, the family tree spliff splitboard is nug raduced (again, said with special accent for special effect). but only in 148cm? WTF? i'm pretty sure i don't want to be on a 148 with a full backcountry kit, water included. it might ride like a fuckin' miracle, a raduced miracle, but skinning up to my waist in powder? i don't think so.

meh, whatever. limited applicability seems to me.

man i'm jaded tonight. :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm 

I'm sure it works for some people, but I just don't see how I'd be able to ride a board that small and not feel like I was about to die most of the time. Actually, I feel the same way about rockered boards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm 

Here's what I'm saying that you guys don't get:

I, too scoffed at the nug when it came out- but that was three years ago.

I hate almost every rockered board I've ridden.

I hate short boards.

But- elongate the contact points, precisely dial the flex pattern to feel just as stable as any long board-

(which is really where these boards are different than previous attempts- core profiling, softer flex between the feet, super stiff just beyond the feet, fat tips, more surface area than many boards 20cm+, etc.. And honestly- as someone who still proudly rides my 181 here and there- makes me reluctantly admit that all that board is totally unessecary, and frankly obsolete.)

And it's the most FUN I've had on a snowboard in years!

I ride the 148 directional nug just as fast as I ride my 160 custom x (and I've won national and international races- and still take out a 17cm waist width race board with +60° and +45° at least a few days a year, but this isn't about me or skill)

It's honestly almost as stable.

I'm not trying to be a fanboi- and appreciate healthy skeptisim, but you're only missing out on something that is truly progressing the sport.

As I said, they came out with the nug over 3 years ago, and it's only been in response to the demand that has expanded the now proven concept into the harvest (camber nug), root (flat), spliff, fishcuit, etc. that we see debuting to the public this year- because all the team and 100 + day riders like me and every tester, etc. has caught the bug for the nug.

It really makes snowboarding 'new' again for us old farts.

The same thing happened in surfing-

It's almost as exciting as whats happening with powsurfs... But that's another story.

PS- I'm not saying that nugs, etc. aren't 'quiver boards', but I'm truly amazed at just how versatile these shapes are, and how often I choose to take them out instead of my long time standbys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 am 

I wish Burton wouldn't hide their board's specs so you can actually see what they are doing with this whole Nug Raduction thing. All there is is a somewhat vague description. Can one of you Nug owners chime and and tell us how to modified the traditional snowboard shape to allow you to size down?

And are the boards more stiff than normal? I'd be worried about the nose being too soft (due to less material) making it feel very prone to going over the handle bars.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 am 

I'm at work right now but I can take measurements tonight. I have the 152 directional nug 2012 The flex pattern is fairly stiff. Stiffer than my agent rocker 159 but much softer than my zephyr 163. The sidecut ends way towards the center of the board leaving an almost reverse nose and tail. It's got several mms of taper and a couple cms of set back. The tail is much shorter than the nose. And it's wide. Not sure off hand but I think it's 258 mms at the waist. A little concerned about that as I wear a 9.5. It's completely rockered and all this imo makes a shovel that looks ready for some pow. Let me know any spec questions you have. There are online shops that have family tree board specs. I think backcountry has some.

I would try and ride a 2x4 this winter if it were my only option. Just sayin. :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am 

Hey White Pine-

The main thing affecting the sidecut and surface area/ float is elongated contact points. (AKA 'Side Effects' as seen on the sherlock and other freestyle powder boards.)

As far as flex- it varies tremendously along the length of the board by patterned core profiling and (AKA 'squeezebox').

Its softest between the feet, and extremely stiff just beyond the feet. The tips are stiffer than a normal board, but not as stiff as the area just beyond the feet extending to the contact points.

The directional nug that smuggler will ride (which is also the spliff- although it has more taper and S rocker) has a blunter and stiffer tail, but is still closer to a directional twin.

earthsurfing wrote:
elongate the contact points, precisely dial the flex pattern to feel just as stable as any long board-

(which is really where these boards are different than previous attempts- core profiling, softer flex between the feet, super stiff just beyond the feet, fat tips, more surface area than many boards 20cm+, etc.. .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:06 am 

Nice! This will really help my 720's! Although my destroyed shoulder (from riding a little board) may say differently. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 am 

No 720 double loopdy bottle openers for this fat bastard. I was shopping for something that should turn faster.