Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I Love Central Oregon Summers (July 12-13)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:10 am 

I was asked to speak at a conference in Bend on Thursday morning, and jumped at the chance, knowing I'd be able to have some time afterwards to enjoy some of Central Oregon's best summer time activities - Fishing and Turns. After the work functions, I left Bend around 1:00 and headed to Elk Lake to set up camp. Todd arrived shortly thereafter, and we headed out to do some fishing. Todd kicked around on the float tube while I headed to the upper Deschutes River with my ultra light setup. Soon, I had hooked into a few trout, including the one in the picture below.....

I wandered downstream for about a mile and hooked into a really nice fish that broke my line after a couple of minutes of play. Even if my line didn't break, I don't know if the pole could have handled the fish - it felt like a steelhead on the small setup! The upper Deschutes is one of my favorite places in the state....

The next morning, we were up somewhat early, the plan being to head to Tumalo and ride the north facing bowl and then head to Bachelor if time allowed. On the way the mountain, several nice mule deer bucks were out in the meadow near the road, making for a cool picture with the South Sister in the background.....

At the trailhead, we shouldered our light packs and were able to hike to the top of the hill in hiking boots, encountering very little snow on the south side. The summit views from Tumalo are always nice, and looking west towards the Sisters and Broken Top, it was apparent the snowpack is starting to dwindle....

Here's a shot of Todd sitting on the summit of Tumalo....

We dropped in for the first lap, and the snow was actually pretty nice. I was impressed, not having ever ridden Tumalo this late in the year. Here's a shot of me dropping off the top....

Todd followed making some nice turns on the upper pitch, before having one of the best wrecks I've seen in a long time. Unfortunately I turned off the camera before his epic yard sale....

It was easy booting back to the top, and I dropped in for another couple of laps while Todd lounged around on top enjoying the views.....

It was getting quite hot by the time we packed up to leave at 10:30, so I knew Bachelor wasn't going to happen today, but that was fine - I didn't expect to have so much fun on the small little peak across the road anyway. Here's a shot of Bachelor from the hike out...

I imagine Bachelor will be good for another week or two for those wanting to hike. The south sides of South Sister and Broken Top are pretty much done, but there's still lots of camping and fishing opportunities available. I'm planning a return trip next weekend with the family for some hiking, fishing and camping :D

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: Why I Love Central Oregon Summers (July 12-13)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:05 am 

Hell yeah! Beautiful summer stoke. Nice lupine in the creek photo too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 am 

Thanks Nick......the lupine along the upper Deschutes is really nice and definitely adds to scenic value for sure. Below are a couple of additional shots from the day...

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 am 

nice lupine photo dude!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 am 

Nice trip. Central Oregon is so sweet. The mountain biking is just as good as the boarding and fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm 

Nice work stoudema!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 pm 

Looks like we'll be joinin ya again for some pow in the huts. Hopefully the stouder powder luck sticks for another year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm 

Thanks Chris, Eco & Josh.....definitely heading back for some more fishing this weekend. If I needed another hobby, mountain biking would be on the list, and central Oregon is definitely a good area for that.

Splitinbend.....can't wait for the yurt again next year and yeah....hope we get conditions like last year for sure! Just keep you friend out of the brownies this year (for his own safety!) :mrgreen:

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 pm 

Very nice pics. I need to get up there some time soon. Definitely heading up there to splitfest this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

Nice! I was canoe camping on Sparks lake 7/13-15 and kept looking up at all those dwindling lines. Hiked up to Green lakes on Friday the 13th, and was surprised to find the approach was 90% snow. Made it up to lava flow level about 1/4 mile from the lakes, good views of S. Sister and Broken Top.

Then went and floated on all the snowmelt in Sparks. That area is great.