Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fitwell Backcountry
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm 

Just FYI everybody, they are available for purchase through a few vendors like livebackcountry.com and snowpatroller.org, and i they will ship to the US. However, they currently do not make a size 46, so im out of luck till next year. Those of you with smaller feet should be able to get some. Cant wait for next year!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 am 

they are also available at:

http://www.backcountry.it/category.php?id_category=25

and if you contact them they will ship to the US

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 am 

Do you notice the heel height in the sparks? the fitwell has a bigger heel again duno if i would like the felling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm 

Guys I live in Italy and will be in touch with these guys soon, if anyone want to get any info just shoot me a message and I'll pass it on.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am 

It's good to see new boots coming in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm 

chrisNZ wrote:
Do you notice the heel height in the sparks? the fitwell has a bigger heel again duno if i would like the felling.

make that two of us

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 pm 

Pretty stoked with my Fitwells, done a couple of short climbs and short rides, so far no complaints at all! I can't actually really tell the heels ar an issue, perhaps I'm not the best rider to tell such things, I would say they are comfy, they are about the preferred stiffness for me, they are extremely high quality as you would expect from Italian boots, the toes are nice and solid like a good boot for hiking should have, the toe does not crunch up with crampons or boot packing up harder surfaces, the sole is stiff and ideal for crampons, really can't fault them. The funky zebra look is still a bit unconventional but actually I am getting used to it eh! Next few weeks mine are going to get a lot more use, on field and on back country missions. So I will try and remember to give a further update once I have some really good riding under my belt.
cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 am 

I received my pair a week ago. Haven't tried them yet but I'm really stoked on how they're built. The lower is what all splitboard mountaineers who don't want to fruitboot have been wanting. A completely stiff sole heel to toe and a very stiff, solid toebox for kicking steps. The people saying they don't want a completely stiff sole because they think It'll affect performance don't really want a snowboard mountaineering boot and frankly don't know what they're talking about. These are the real deal. Spark could learn a thing or two. The outer looks like it will last for years. Very well constructed. I ordered a size 43.5/290. Compared to my 44/10 Malamutes and my 43.5/10 K2 T1's they are only slightly longer (about a 1/3" than the malamutes and maybe a 1/2" longer than T1's) However the heel is very low profile and the toe curves up quite a bit to compensate. The boot is pretty low volume too. It has plenty of room in a small Karakoram SL heelcup (I have to go to a medium heelcup due to the shape of the boot favoring lots of toe drag and no heel drag. With a medium heelcup I will have 0 overhang issues with this size boot)

The stock liners make the boot feel quite stiff so I put in a lightly used pair of Malamute liners and they feel much nicer. Especially in the heel where the stock liner seems to give people problems with heel rub and no padding. I'm sure anyone who buys this boot will end up putting their own liners in them. That's the only negative besides their weight. (They might want to work on an articulating ankle too but carpet jibbing they didn't seem to be too stiff as far as forward ankle flex...we'll see when I test them) The metal eyelets are bomber but they do have webbing eyelets down low that concerns me. They look beefy but eventually they may break after a few years. They aren't light, but that's not why you would buy these. Some hardbooters will rave about how their set up is still a lb. lighter per foot than these but the fact is you'll be riding a softboot set up with all the feel and performance that comes with that and climbing with a BETTER all around mountaineering boot than a TLT5 or w/e. Those are ski boots that can be used for mountaineering and these are mountaineering boots designed for snowboarding. They do have a slight disadvantage with the toe curved up which will make kick steps maybe a tad less efficient than a ski boot but the solid toe box is better than any snowboard boot on the market for this.

I'm hoping to test these out later this month and I'll give a report and throw some pics up. I'm hoping for the best! It's nice to finally see someone getting it right when it comes to a splitboard mountaineering boot. I'm sure other companies will follow suit in the next few years. Stoked!!!

Oh, as far as the heel being a tad higher I really doubt you can notice this riding and could easily be negated using a toe ramp. A non issue imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 am 

BG, thanks for the detailed report. I was concerned that the weight would be high, too bad... Sportiva makes some pretty light double boots for mountaineering so it can be done. I appreciate hearing your input but please try to keep the misinformation to a minimum:

(The TLT-5) "Those are ski boots that can be used for mountaineering and these are mountaineering boots designed for snowboarding."

No, the TLT-5 was designed for ski mountaineering, hence they climb and hike very, very well. In fact, given your expression of how the Fitwell could use a hinge at the ankle for more flex, it may be that the TLT-5 climbs and hikes better than the Fitwell. Clearly you have never had a TLT-5 on your foot. For those who have not had a TLT-5 on their feet, they are completely different from any other hard boot I have ever worn in the walk mode. The second I put them on in the shop, I was inspired to try them out on the climbing wall because of how light, precise, and articulated they felt on my feet. I know ice climbers who choose to climb in the TLT-5 over their normal cold conditions ice boots becasue of this.

I am glad that there is another boot option out there for soft boot spitters, and it sounds like a quality boot that will last for at least a few years, nice.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 am 

Fair enough.

I've never tried them on and they probably are better on ice for sure. I would guess the fitwells would be better on rock and more comfy schwacking. The fitwells just seem closer to a real mountaineering boot like the La Sportiva Spantik and most hardboots just look like ski boots. I take back my statement that they are better going up. I'm sure both have strengths and weaknesses in that department. I do think in the next few years that hardbooting will die once "soft" snowboard specific mountaineering boot technology keeps improving. But even now with these boots I don't see a choice :wink: Fruitbooters are now going to have to a hard time justifying buying expensive boots that require a bunch of modifications when they can have the best of both worlds (up and down performance) For now you guys still have us beat in the weight department.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:44 am 

BG shame on you. You should be stoned for this act of blasphemy in daring question the GOD of dynasplitting and the Chosen Boot! :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 am 

BGnight wrote:
Fair enough.

I've never tried them on and they probably are better on ice for sure. I would guess the fitwells would be better on rock and more comfy schwacking. The fitwells just seem closer to a real mountaineering boot like the La Sportiva Spantik and most hardboots just look like ski boots. I take back my statement that they are better going up. I'm sure both have strengths and weaknesses in that department. I do think in the next few years that hardbooting will die once "soft" snowboard specific mountaineering boot technology keeps improving. But even now with these boots I don't see a choice :wink: Fruitbooters are now going to have to a hard time justifying buying expensive boots that require a bunch of modifications when they can have the best of both worlds (up and down performance) For now you guys still have us beat in the weight department.

hahahaha. We'll just have to disagree there. Strap bindings are archaic technology, and ridiculousy clumsy and innefficient in design. Plus, straps break, and the closer the support system (highback+straps) is brought to the foot/ankle, the more precise the control is.
Those who have managed to massage a hard boot system into good working order are not looking back, and are riding a system that performs better on both the down and the up. Ask guys who know what I am talking about, like Alister from Chimera, Joey Vosburg, Mark Hartley (karkis here), etc. Heck, Vosburg and karkis like their hardboots so much they are riding them in bounds on their solid boards.

But I do agree, it takes some ingenuity and a willingness to tinker some to get the best out of a hard boot system, and this is a problem for some riders, and they are not cheap, although, neither is a Fitwell/Karakoram SL set up-I think we can both agree one gets what one pays for in that regard.

Ride what you like, but do not crticisize systems of which you have no real experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 am 

shasta wrote:
BG shame on you. You should be stoned for this act of blasphemy in daring question the GOD of dynasplitting and the Chosen Boot! :P

Hahahaha, that's a good laugh here. Like I said, I think it is great that soft boot riders now a real quality option (made in Italy, right!) in the Fitwell, and hope it will serve their needs well. I am quite happy with my setup, and looking forward to trying Keffler's new bindings next season as well.
My only problem with some of BG's attitude is that he is critisizing something which he has no experience with, and this speads misinformation to people who might like to try a different set up.

Lets all agree that (except for those in the PNW and Canada) last season was sub par, and lets all look forward to next season with a hope of bountiful powder snow for all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next