Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Fishing Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 pm 

The fishing around south Vancouver Island has been getting better. Now, if only the weather would as well.

Headed up island to port alberni for some Sockeye. The weather cooled down and rain took over causing the action to slow. We got a total of 3 fish in 3 days.

Back to the south island I got this one and lost 6 others. this run are aggressive fighters.

got these 2 today, larger one looks to be a Columbia river fish and the smaller one apears to be a frazer river fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:55 pm 

Fishing has been real good off S. Vancouver Island. Lots of BIG Springs are coming in and the Coho's have showed up so it has been non-stop action.

got these last weekend, Missing from the pic is a Chinook and a Cabazon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 pm 

love the native fish in the east Kootenays

river levels are dropping and the fishing is on!

this one pulled the fly line out of my hand so hard it left burn marks between my thumb and index finger :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 pm 

I finally got a fly setup and headed up to the eastern sierra for a few days. We went over Kearsarge Pass and hopped onto the JMT. It didn't disappoint.

Kearsarge Pinnacles & Lakes

Sierra Gold!

And some of the scenery:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 pm 

Ray, you just haul in salmon like it aint no thing at all, hey? the joys of island livin'..

just a reminder everyone, wear your PFD's !! i went down in the river on thursday wearing hip waders for the first time. it was all good, until the current pushed me from my 3 feet of water over the rocky shelf into about 15 feet. then it was 'holy shit im gonna DIE!' as the filled waders pulled me like the devils hands straight down toward the bottom of the river! On the bank my neighbour (whos gear i was using) is yelling "pull your thing, man , pull your thing!!" referring to the co2 ripcord to inflate the PFD. i had to take a full breath cuz my head was going under, ditch the rod and then give a two hand yank on the cord, which filled the unit in a few seconds (just like how the avy bags inflate) , literally saving my dumb ass. after that it was just backstroke like hell to the bank before going down the next set of rapids...Fishing for salmon - who knew it would be the sport that has (so far) brought me closest to death.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am 

libtechsplit wrote:
Ray, you just haul in salmon like it aint no thing at all, hey? the joys of island livin'..

just a reminder everyone, wear your PFD's !! i went down in the river on thursday wearing hip waders for the first time. it was all good, until the current pushed me from my 3 feet of water over the rocky shelf into about 15 feet. then it was 'holy shit im gonna DIE!' as the filled waders pulled me like the devils hands straight down toward the bottom of the river! On the bank my neighbour (whos gear i was using) is yelling "pull your thing, man , pull your thing!!" referring to the co2 ripcord to inflate the PFD. i had to take a full breath cuz my head was going under, ditch the rod and then give a two hand yank on the cord, which filled the unit in a few seconds (just like how the avy bags inflate) , literally saving my dumb ass. after that it was just backstroke like hell to the bank before going down the next set of rapids...Fishing for salmon - who knew it would be the sport that has (so far) brought me closest to death.

My friend, it's what I do. I've had a few more since then! You should come down some time before they are gone!

It's a good idea to wear a PFD, I guess I'm pretty bad for that when I'm flyin solo in the boat and river. glad you are ok!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 pm 

Spent 5 days on horseback at the headwaters of the clearwater river. Got up to Lost Guide Lake for some good cutty action, lots of wildlife, explored some wolfs dens, and drooled over what some of the terrain would look like in the winter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 am 

looks like a great trip! Man I miss my horse, a good ride like that is somthing ive wanted to do for a long time

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm 

Ray

Damn i wish i could take u up on that. when does the season end down there? i couldnt decipher the fishery website to figure it out for myself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:25 am 

libtechsplit wrote:
Ray

Damn i wish i could take u up on that. when does the season end down there? i couldnt decipher the fishery website to figure it out for myself.

fish are open all year, but the big springs will be gone in a few more weeks..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:28 pm 

Ray

Salmon season has been thin here in the interior by all reports ive heard. Last weekend i did see one 24lb fish landed, but thats the only one so far. Myself havent caught anything (but thats no suprise) , i only get out once or maybe twice a week. gas and ferry ride says i wont be getting to the island, but you should land a few more for me. :drool:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 pm 

libtechsplit wrote:
Ray

Salmon season has been thin here in the interior by all reports ive heard. Last weekend i did see one 24lb fish landed, but thats the only one so far. Myself havent caught anything (but thats no suprise) , i only get out once or maybe twice a week. gas and ferry ride says i wont be getting to the island, but you should land a few more for me. :drool:

Man fishing had died right off here alredy. Supposed to be good till october....... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am 

Glad to see some fishing stoke!!
Here are some spring 2012 pics
I think this guy had a hard winter he was skinny, slow, and soft.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next