Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bunny Flat Winter Access in Serious Jeopardy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm 

Local news is access to Bunny Flat will be gone next winter:

http://www.mtshastanews.com/top_stories ... morial-Hwy

4 of 5 Supervisors on the board think ranching is the only economic engine in the county and likely will vote that way. Any public input that opens their eyes to the fact that Bunny Flat access brings in tourism will help. Please send a note to these 4 supes that need enlightenment:

1) Jim Cook=jimcook@snowcrest.net

2) Michael Kobseff=mkobseff@co.siskiyou.ca.us

3) Grace Bennett=gbennett@co.siskiyou.ca.us

4) Marcia Armstrong=marmstrong@co.siskiyou.ca.us

I'm not a totally wired guy like many who visit here so if anyone wants to cross post this on any other sites feel free.

Thanks,

Andy Marx

P.S. I really want a sled but don't want this to be the reason I have to get one.

Post subject: Re: Bunny Flat Winter Access in Serious Jeopardy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 pm 

Raise some funds and get your town the biggest baddest plow the world has ever seen!! I've seen a lifted subaru this summer, now lets see a splitboard super-mod plow truck! :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 am 

Buying a plow is one option I've heard. A toll for the road or parking fees at Bunny Flat might fund it. Bitch is you also need a rotary blower$$ because a plow cant deal with the snow amounts and wind drifts up there. Some dedicated system to clear Everitt would be great as many times in winter after a big dump it takes days or weeks to open Everitt. With no funding source right now Winter 2012-13 is off the table if the county quits clearing the road.

If this happens Bunny will be inaccessible until well into Spring: no more Trinity Chutes, Casaval shots, Avy Gulch corn, Giddy, Powder Bowl, Sun Bowl or Ski Bowl snowmobile runs: you get the drift. :cry:

An onslaught of input from those who rely on Bunny for fun is the best way to make the politicians realize they need to keep the road open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 am 

I'm an east coaster so the most intense we get is just a really big plow. I can imagine the kind of equipment you're talking ain't cheap! I wish you the best of luck as I've read of bunny flat here on SB. Good luck and stick it to the man!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 pm 

I sent the above supes a note explaining that I go to Shasta a couple times a year and spend money there from out of town. And that I won't if that road isn't open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm 

Awesome Silver: Shasta access is too precious to give up without a fight!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:14 pm 

That would really suck. I just sent a similar letter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 am 

Sounds like a business opportunity for you shasta. Get that sled and charge a minimal ski-bum fee for towing folks up the road...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 am 

Thanks Andy, this is too important to not spread the word. Maybe we should ask those supes why they are funding a campaign to fight the Klamath dam removal project?? So far $.5M of public funds wasted by an unnecessary lawsuit over an issue that the public supports...The county budget to plow the road is 125 grand, a drop in the bucket compared to the economic benefit that it brings to Siskiyou County, not to mention the reason many of us chose to live and visit here...

And btw, freshies today, powder riding in late June!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 pm 

Question: are most of the economic benefits of mountain access conferred to the city, over other parts of the county? I typically only spend money in Tehama Cty or Shasta City itself when I'm out there (not very often), and I wonder how it is for other visitors. Is this one of those "people in Yreka don't care about Shasta" kind of things?

For the County to not issue a bond and get the necessary capex, O&M, and administrative expenses to keep the road access funded is stupid - that road accesses the single most iconic landmark in the county, let alone within 150 miles in any direction.

Lemme see if I can write these thoughts more clearly to the supes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:07 pm 

letter written, thanks for raising the issue, Shasta.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:29 am 

Thanks for the emails, keep them coming. :clap:

Schralph I'm sure many like yourself only spend $ in Mt. Shasta City while visiting the mountain but those dollars benefit the county several times over. Between sales tax, hotel tax, keeping shops open (who doesn't hit the Goat for a bubbly refreshment :guinness: after a climb), Shasta G hiring guides who live and spend $ here...the ripple effect from Everitt Memorial is huge and the powers that be will only know that if they get a pile of letters.

Aside from the $ issue is the fact that winter/early spring Bunny Flat access is a stoke factory we can't afford to lose without a fight!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 am 

shasta wrote:
Thanks for the emails, keep them coming. :clap:

Schralph I'm sure many like yourself only spend $ in Mt. Shasta City while visiting the mountain but those dollars benefit the county several times over. Between sales tax, hotel tax, keeping shops open (who doesn't hit the Goat for a bubbly refreshment :guinness: after a climb), Shasta G hiring guides who live and spend $ here...the ripple effect from Everitt Memorial is huge and the powers that be will only know that if they get a pile of letters.

Yeah apart from the economic effects, I mentioned that the county defunding access via the road is like Mariposa county defunding access to Yosemite. Mount Shasta is the single most iconic figure in Siskiyou County and limiting access would be stupid and disastrous. NFS climbing records can determine the minimum number of tourists that would be affected by this proposal ... why hasn't someone asked to look at their records yet to even get an idea of what is on the table here?

I already got a response from one of the county supes this morning. According to him the issue is linked to re-approval of SRS, which I'm not sure I agree with. However, he did ask me to bitch to Jerry Brown's office about their proposal to remove plows from Caltrans inventory, which sounds like complete nonsense to me.