Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milkin' it: White Mt solo splitboot mission 6-16-12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:12 am 

Fyi, White Mt is near Tioga pass just south of Mt Conness.

Thanks swanny for the awesome beta photo you posted on facebook. It was all the motivation I needed to go check out something new.
I parked at Sawmill campground and left the car just before 7am. Oh, by the way the bugs just hatched. The skeeters were vicious! I have bumps all over me to prove it. (can't believe this was only my 2nd eastside mission this season :nononno: )

Sun coming up driving up 120:

In this photo I hiked up the cirque to the lookers left to do a couple short runs then I finished on the face to the right back to the Conness climbers trail:

lol sunglass polarizers kinda work:

Top of my first line. The first two were pretty short runs but excellent snow:

Looking down at the lake and what I just climbed up:

Just up the ridge I found this gem hidden in the rocks. Stoked! I didn't even know it was there. I decided that would be my second run:

Both lines:

Tuolumne meadows:

Conness in background:

Looking down:

Looking up:

Looking back at my mid June slayage:

It was a quick hike up and over to access my last line of the day.
1k of smooth awesomeness!:

The snow was perfect the entire run:

I would love to check this area out earlier in the season with a big snowpack. So many lines packed into a small area. Always good to check some new stuff out in my backyard. It's safe to say the eastside is just about done for the season :(

Post subject: Re: Milkin' it: White Mt solo splitboot mission 6-16-12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 am 

Nice TR. Perpetuating stoke in summer!
BGnight wrote:
Lol sunglass polarizers kinda work:

Your camera might have a custom white balance setting (usually the last setting in a set with other options like "flourescent," "cloudy," and "tungsten").
With custom white balance you can normalize "white" to any color.
Select the custom WB setting on the camera. Put the glasses up to the camera lens. Then set what you want camera to perceive as white; i.e. point the camera to some snow and hit whatever button sets the WB. (For my Canon, it's 'Disp')
And Voile! You get cool polarized water pics which are not affected by your sunglasses' lens color.

p.s. if you leave the custom wb setting on and snap pics w/out the glasses filter, your pics will end up with the opposite color of you glasses. In your case, probably a blueish or even purple tint.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:42 am 

yeah man! twenty lakes basin was one of my first wilderness adventures. that area holds a spot in my heart. Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:43 pm 

Nice work. I saw you ride your last run; looked good :thumbsup: . (i hiked up to the end of the valley and rode the big north slope.). I should have spooned your tracks but at that point was virtually sprinting to get away from the bugs!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 am 

Haha rad! Lol, for some reason I felt like I was being watched when I dropped. I bet that face you did was really nice too. White has some rad looking lines on it! Yeah man, the skeeters were vicious on the hike out.

Hans, thanks for the idea. I'll have to check my camera. It's just a little canon elph P & S. I'm actually kinda burnt out on it. It love the wide angle but it tends to not take the sharpest photos. I want an upgrade in compacts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 am 

White Mountain is rad. Here's a few picts in a fatter snow year. There are also a bunch of lines on the north/east slope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 am 

Wow, yeah I wish that lookers right one to the 2nd run I did was filled in. It looked great from the top. That whole area would be so easy and fun to session. That one cirque on a big year probably has up to 10 lines within a few hundred yards of each other from easy to gnar gnar. Just put a booter up one and keep lapping that shit. THEN, it's an easy scramble up the backside to even MORE gnar the next bowl to the north! Man, I really need to do a mission in fat winter snow up there :headbang:
It's like a mini, more bang for your buck, plateau. You hear that jimw?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm 

I made it back there twice in early May with a good snowpack and it's a super fun zone for sure. A little more solitude and fewer tracks than some of the other stuff up there, but with a bit of an entrance/exit fee on the road. Worthy terrain, especially this year with the lack of options lol.

Since we're adding photos to your nice TR :wink: , here's what the N. slope looked like in early May

Here's what it looked like on Saturday

I put all my stuff down to take this picture and rearrange gear for the hike out through the bugs, and a coyote came up behind me, checked me out, and then ran up my tracks to the top in about ten minutes!

Sorry to hijack your thread with crappy iPhone pics. Let me know if you want me to take em down. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm 

Surprised I didn't see you guys at the Mo-mart... :)

BGnight wrote:
It's like a mini, more bang for your buck, plateau. You hear that jimw?!

Huh? Did you say PLATEAU??

Funny you should mention that. I was actually on The Plateau (tm) the day you were riding this. :)

Seriously. Just hiking though. Since we're hijacking threads... while you were shredding chutes, I was having a Sound Of Music moment on the plateau.

Looking over at Mt. Dana, both Dana and Solstice couloirs still looked good, assuming you don't mind some dirt/talus hiking. Someone posted on ttips that Dana was excellent on Sun. Looked like the lookers left might be the way to get into Solstice now. A few of those random chutes in the cirque at the end of the canyon there next to Dana couloir looked good too.

I did get in some turns on Sun/Mon. Conness was holding up quite well, and North Peak actually had some of the best spring conditions I've seen. But you're right about the bugs!

Will post more pics later. For now, I just wanna say...

BAM!!!

Oh yeah, did someone mention 20 Lakes Basin?? :)

Quote:
It's safe to say the eastside is just about done for the season

What, I feel like my season is just getting started! :) But seriously... North Peak (and other stuff out that way) is still worth a trip this weekend. Heard from some folks who got good turns on NP again today. Cool boat ride, mellow hike in beautiful scenery to the base, nice conditions in steep chutes!

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

You can't call it splitbooting if you're packing a solid!

Cheater. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

jimw wrote:
BAM!!!

I think you just scoped Jeremy Jones' Psycho Pinner Coulior from Deeper Unplugged
Or at least the same zone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 am 

Same zone, that is Zebra couloir and North coulior. The one Jones was scoping was off to the right of this picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 am 

Lol, that picture is North Peak out of Saddlebag and the pyscho pinner is a small line next to the north couloir on Emerson.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 am 

Uh... this picture is North Peak, out by Saddlebag lake. Zebra/Emerson/Psycho Pinner are all off Mt. Emerson, in the Buttermilks out by Bishop. And to bring this thread back around... BGnight was actually out there climbing Zebra when the Deeper crew was out there filming that segment! Here's the TR.

edit: oh yeah, what he said...