Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: some one can translate it for me? Ride Decade specification
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

I got that board from my friend to make a split Ride Decade, it has a wood core, I found some data about it in internet.
This is what say on the board:
Misty 1 con
Response tuned core
Carbon array 3
Linear carbon + aramid
Hybrid Laminates
What is that mean? I hope is possible to make a split I was wating for this moment long time.
Thanks Ziby

Post subject: Re: some one can translate it for me? Ride Decade specification
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm 

Try contacting the manufacture and let them know what you are doing. I've gotten good feedback from them when I've done this in the past. They should be able to tell you pretty easily if there are any issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:57 am 

It's the purest marketing horseshit. Same stuff (or very similar) as any other reasonably high-end board. No reason at all you couldn't make a decent split out of it.

Start cutting! :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 am 

Thanks for encourage, I'v just seen a lot of talk on this forum about decent boards turned to noodles...
Please any body have experience with that sort of shit let me know!
Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:12 am 

Bet it turns into a noodle. Why can't they just make solid wood cores? I split a few Rides this year with similar toxic bullshit additives and they both turned into noodles. That said, my 4 year old DH sans modern tech carbon crap has been serving me well.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 am 

The thing is it has a wooden core, I have contact ride and they confirmed, as well as I can see it under the base and top shit they are see true, so may work fine.. I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:30 am 

Matt Wood wrote:
Bet it turns into a noodle. Why can't they just make solid wood cores? I split a few Rides this year with similar toxic bullshit additives and they both turned into noodles. That said, my 4 year old DH sans modern tech carbon crap has been serving me well.

Good luck.

do the older Ride DH's split alright? a friend and I are going to do our first DIY attempts really soon (southern hemi), and he has a couple of old beater boards to decide between but we're not sure on the DH he can get his hands on. he says it's old (I'm guessing at least 4 years, but I don't know where it is or what it looks like...) and I've read Ride can come out, as mentioned above, softer than would be ok for a big 200lb guy like my buddy.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 am 

Get a Timeless. I split mine two years ago, and have used it for over 200 days, including multiple Mt Shasta, Dana, and many other massive peaks descents in the Eastern Sierra. Its solid and stiff still. Find one for cheap and cut the bastard.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:25 am 

I only compered Timeless and Decade materials features and looks like they are the same so should be ok, starting next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:30 am 

Matt Wood wrote:

Good luck.

Almost all snowboards have a wood core, with the exception of some older boards which have either a foam core or a honeycomb core which can be made out of aluminum or alloys. Both of which are not common. People don't only use strictly wood in the cores because the fibers in the wood break down, lose their pop and turn into noodles quicker. This is why fiberglass is placed above and below the wood to provide durability, strength and a more snappy feel.

Out of all the marketing BS that was listed in the OP, the only ones that really mean anything are they ones talking about carbon and aramid. Carbon fiber and aramid fiber (Kevlar) are there to add stiffness and reinforcement. They can also be used to allow the core to be thinned out while adding strength, which is good for splitboards to reduce weight.

All this being said, all solid boards where designed to be solid boards so they will all be more "noodley" than their solid counterparts. It really depend on where the carbon, kevlar and fiber glass fiber are and how they are oriented.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm 

I have only cut the board today, looks good, wood core all the way, fiber glass, I don't know witch was a carbon, there was a 8 steel reinforcements across the board 4 on the front and 4 to the back, so fare so good, routered a channel for a steel edge, now start working with dremel, the edge looks solid and very durable, as well as the single ski has a good strength.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 pm 

Familiar with those 8 metal deals you speak of above, the kevlar and carbon fiber enhancements. My point exactly. Just use wood. Sorry, just my opinion. But thanks for the in depth education.