Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exploding numbers of resort skinners!?!?!?!?!?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm 

There was pretty much no skinning to be had other than at the resort in central/southern New England this year, and since my girlfriend is more interested in learning to go up hill than she is down, we spent a fair bit of time doing both this winter. I certainly wouldn't go during operating hours on a weekend (can't anyway since I'd be working), but mid-week non-holiday was pretty quiet this year, and staying to the side of the trail we seemed to stay out of trouble. Patrol never seemed to have a problem with it either. Chickin, which Southern VT resorts are you skinning at? Mount Snow's my home mountain, although I'll occasionally make the hike over to Stratton.
-Daniel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm 

HAHAHAHAH this is funny. so are you mad that splitting is getting more popular?? or that they are skinning like complete idiots? I have FOR SURE done some abay skinning. ITS an AMAZING workout, and when you have friends that dont have the gear or whatever its a way to get out and practice. Yeah I understand i'm going against the grain and all but F you if your not looking down the run in front of you. I probably pay more attention to my route and where Im going cause I know some d bag who is probably charging down is not expecting to see me coming uphill. I DO MY BEST to stay out of the flow of traffic but sometimes the only route is across the run or below the chairlift. I have seen a fair amount of people skinning and NEVER once have I seen someone straitline the run, they are always using COMMON SENSE and staying to the side or shoulder of the run. Dont worry when the snows good- I wont be at abay practicing. :headbang: This was my first year with the split (DOB march 2 2012) and I just cant get enough! still out there tripping EVERY WEEKEND. :bananas: I DID get a chance to stumble into the abay grind event! it was rad, I started a couple minutes after the amateur class and ended up passing a handful of people. class winner killed it! 45 minutes up and down. I did it in 114. so not to bad considering I used to be a total lazy chairlift bitch, and at that time I had my split for just over a month. CANT WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR. I have goals now thanks to my resort splitting..

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 pm 

^^^glad you're stoked on the split, but going across open runs during operating hours is kinda stupid. Having previously lived in Summit County, I know there are many other places to go, no matter what the snow is like. Seems to me the people that do this are the same ones that circle around the parking lot of the gym, looking for the closest parking spot, so they can go walk on a treadmill. But I don't know what's gayer, skinning up an open ski area or starting a thread and bitching about it - who goes to the Basin to ride groomers, up OR down? And speaking of gay, when did the Basin start being referred to as "Abay"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 am 

fustercluck wrote:
And speaking of gay, when did the Basin start being referred to as "Abay"?

It was right after A-Rod, J-lo and D-Wade to a vacation there. A-Basin (or The Basin) was to hard to say with a straight face in your gansta-voice...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:54 pm 

who walks on a treadmill?? GO HIKE.. Its ALWAYS been called Abay! WELL the last 15 years or so Ive been riding it. :scratch: I probably misnamed that chute I rode too..... :scratch: I thought I found the one site where kids would be cool. funny- hating on kids for wanting to get out there.. I dont know about you all rad cats but not every day is filled with blower pow. THIS is why they have resorts. its EASY work.. so keep hating on me for getting out as often as I can, on whatever I can. Luckily you kids won't be coming down some lame groomers, and get in my way. :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 am 

Tips for the splitboarder skinner for being a non-douche:

1) If you are a snowboarder who happens to own a splitboard, do not skin the mountain resort under lift operating conditions and go ski the backcountry; see Caveat A;
2) Skinning up a resort hill, as others have mentioned, is extraordinarily perilous;
3) You're really not impressing anyone, embarrassing the people you'd want to;
4) You're confusing the fuck out of me why you'd want to do this at a resort instead of in a "nature" environment; and
5) You'd be just as well off running a mountain as you would be skinning it for fitness.

I've never seen a splitboarder skinning a mountain in Colorado, but seen many AT/Tele kids working the corduroy. Are we really turning into the spandex crowd? Please people, don't do this.

Caveat A: If you do not know where a snow stash is located besides your local resort, you should have made a wiser investment than a splitboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:17 am 

If someone wants to spend their hard-earned money on an expensive car and buy expensive splitboard gear and skin up Abay, B-reck, B-pass, L-Land, Ruby Hill or anywhere they can for any number of reasons like health or practice or to impress the ladies or just out of boredom, then more power to them. :bow:

There was a similar arguement long ago when there were exploding numbers of snowboarders at ski resorts. Some of the same reasons were put forward: it's dangerous, they're not following established powder skiing etiquette, their free spirit and loud fashion is not impressing anyone especially young hot chicks, it's a fad, it's gay... Seems silly now.

Now there is also an exploding number of backcountry skiers/snowboarders riding snowmobiles in traditionally backcountry skiing areas. Some guys are even strapping into a parasail and snowboarding on frozen lakes.

Point is, our sport and its consumer products will continue to evolve and people will find new ways and new places to have fun. And where there's fun, hot chicks will surely follow. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm 

While I could question the liability issues with skinning on an open resort, plenty of people use closed resorts as a dawn patrol lap, especially on the ice (east) coast.

Further, anywhere in the West a splitboard has tremendous sidecountry and lift-accessed backcountry applications. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 pm 

[quote="tiltedworld"
Further, anywhere in the West a splitboard has tremendous sidecountry and lift-accessed backcountry applications. :thatrocks:[/quote]

:thumpsup: been passed by ATers skinning while booting up side country with a solid before :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm 

Just to be clear, I have nothing against anyone skinning up a ski area, I do it myself. I just think it's pretty stupid to skin up when the ski area is open, especially to ride groomers, and especially when a couple miles away is a place that typically has more, better snow (Loveland Pass), and especially if you live on the Front Range and can be mountain biking. And I think it's just as stupid to bitch about this topic on a splitboard forum where 99.99% of the content is backcountry related. And in six years living in Summit, never once heard of Abay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:26 am 

funny most of the flack being sent out is from fellow colorado kids.. I prefer snow- but thanks for the ideas of mountain biking.. :roll: never heard that one before. And just because I split at the resort in may doesnt mean I did it all year. I spent plenty of time out and about searching. And why would I split LP?(uh oh my own name again) there is a road that goes dam near the top? HAHA I guess this sport is all what you make it. FUN IS FUN. I do it my way you do your thing. Thats why I like snowboarding. cause I dont have to listen to anyone else. your route is your own.. so eat a :bananas: and go get fit. I heard it hailed 8 inches in castle rock last night.. :headbang:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 am 

15 years in Summit and I'd say I've heard the basin being called "Abay" since I moved here. I don't call it that because I think it sounds dumb. People have also been skinning up the basin and other ski areas for many years before any of us even heard of a splitboard. Get over it, and if their presence bothers you, why are you on the groomers in the first place?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next