Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: awesome camping gear to go with your new mnt approach skis!
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am 

i remember when dirtbag skaters rocked walmart tents with skull and crossbones , and go the f=ck away spraypainted on them.

so scenester i can barely stand it. and im from portland. (home of the sceneiest scenesters and poler camping gear)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:01 pm 

This thread is everywhere.... :lol:

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:31 am 

Quote:
I'm happy for you that you use your split to ride extreme lines in extremely deep wilderness (of San Diego?).

yep, San Diego. It has a thing called Interstate 15. Leads out of town.....to the 395 to places like Mt. Tom, Laurel Mt. Dana Plateau Basin mountain. And, if your real tricky you can even get to places like Utah, Wyoming Montana ect

although I use a car.....not approach skis :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 am 

TEX wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy for you that you use your split to ride extreme lines in extremely deep wilderness (of San Diego?).

yep, San Diego. It has a thing called Interstate 15. Leads out of town.....to the 395 to places like Mt. Tom, Laurel Mt. Dana Plateau Basin mountain. And, if your real tricky you can even get to places like Utah, Wyoming Montana ect

although I use a car.....not approach skis :lol:

You just opened up a whole new can of worms...I can't believe you use a car when a truck has so much more utility. With a truck you can drive on such extreme logging roads and stuff that a car can't go on. And you could put a motorcycle in the back of the truck if really want to access deep woods. :mrgreen:

You're lucky that you get to live in Sandy Ego and still get out to good split places. Another great thing about SD is direct flights to Bellingham, but I hear the snow sucks and the locals are a bunch of d-bags.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm 

Jason, we know you're jealous you can't live in a place where the weather is fantastic, you can surf daily and drive to the mountains to shred big lines snowmo's can't even access. Please stop being a tool about it. Since you live so close to rad snowboarding how come Tex rides bigger lines than you on a regular basis and without having to do it on a sled?
"A split is a handy tool for getting to and building a jump"... :lol:

fyi, approach skiers are not a "niche" and they ARE doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:00 pm 

Yo Chris,

If you didn't want to buy that stuff online you can drive out to the
coast and go to Seaside Surf shop. They have all that gear. They even
have the snuggie looking sleeping bag. I might be rocking that on a volcano this
Weekend!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:44 pm 

Jeezus.

What's wrong with Poler Stuff? Good guys, cool stuff. Clearly they're not your style. They make no grand claims. So if skaters and snowboarders want stuff with a different flavor than the mainstream they're scenesters? People want a simple cheap bag that isn't some lame pricepoint REI shlock? please. Personally I have a rucksack and I love it. I'm blown away by the simplicity and utility, and how light it is. It's replacing my everyday/work/laptop bag that was an incredibly overbuilt, over crowded with too many internal pockets, small patagonia bag that is twice as heavy and half the size. I'm down with companies that are low-fi throwbacks to 90's era garage snowboard brands. Fine with me. Their stuff is dead simple, well-considered, and well-built.

And of course the thread instantly spirals into another MTN Approach bash-fest. If we all hate them so much then why the hell don't we just shut up about them and stop bringing them up. "Your religion (approach skis) is different than my religion (splitboarding)!!!". My religion is better!!!!. Stop doing your religion !!!!(I better not see you enjoying your approach skis!!!!)."

I come here for the great gear, route-beta, and community information... pics, stories, ideas... but more and more it's just seems like things devolve into Mypopic Aggression.

Talk about scenesters.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:18 pm 

Quote:
You just opened up a whole new can of worms...I can't believe you use a car when a truck has so much more utility.

No, you opened the can. My vehicle is a cross of car, truck and tent all in one

The Manbaru- NORA

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:25 pm 

we're just having a good time. it's the internet after all! i can only speak for myself, but i'm obsessed with smaller, lighter and functional. if poler gear provides that then i'll rock it. i think if you follow our trips reports on here we're a little past the "average adventure." i would definitely rock the sleeping bag snuggie while car camping and consuming way too many beers. but it's not something i'm going to buy because i've spent enough nights freezing my ass off in the bc this winter/spring. we're just having a good time with it because we know it won't be able to perform what we ask it to.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:50 am 

BG-
I don't think my sense of humor is catching on with you.

TEX-
I hope you caught that I'm pitching shit and having fun. The most serious thing that I said was that you're lucky you live in SD and still get to ride good terrain. My sister lives down there and I could see it being a nice place to live. It's just too far from the mountains for me and cities creep me out.

Your Subaru is the Japanese version of my Audi: '98 A4(x4) wagon that I lifted 2" higher than stock with slightly oversized snow tires. Somebody's sarcasm meter was broken...

As for the lines I ride, anyone is welcome to get in touch with me the next time you're north of Seattle. I've spent most of my time near Baker but this month I've had a few days near Washington Pass. I've only had a split for one season but I've been hiking a lot longer than that. It's true that my riding has mellowed out considerably and I consider switch pow turns to be my latest progression. I've been out on a sled for one day only, I'd rather put one foot in front of the other and I don't think I'd get too far with a sled trailer behind my wagon. My room mate has a sled and offered to drop me off near the crater on Baker on Saturday but instead I climbed Shuksan from the lodge and think I made the right choice.

I'll take a splitboard over approach skis any day but I'll still defend the idea that different tools are better for different applications and I'll keep an open mind about how people use what they have available to them.

Poler gear isn't my cup of tea but a bunch of my friends have it and for what they do it'll be just fine.

"I can be cool, if you just wanna be mad" -Lady Gaga

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:52 am 

TEX wrote:
My vehicle is a cross of car, truck and tent all in one

Like this one?

Sorry, I just had to join in on this TGR tribute thread... :bananas:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:55 am 

^^^ The real reason why Pontiac is no more. The question, aside from how that thing even made it to production is how it even sold & who the fuck bought. They should have there monies taken away. They're not good with. Clearly. Just like folks who think approach skis are relevant....

*That was all a jibe. I agree different tools for different tools. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:44 pm 

Quote:
TEX-
I hope you caught that I'm pitching shit and having fun.

Oh yeah. Im too old to get mad, or excited. Might shit my pants. again