Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012-2013 spark deeluxe xv boot.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 pm 

is soooo soooo sick.

has the heel welt.

improved waterproofing.

its sick.

pics to come.

available for pre-order from next adventure coming here shortly.

Post subject: Re: 2012-2013 spark deeluxe xv boot.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 pm 

Glad they paid attention to what the riders are saying

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:31 pm 

ditto - looking forward to seeing it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:39 pm 

Did you see this interview? We are referred to as "splitboard activists."

http://business.transworld.net/81148/uncategorized/201213-boots-preview-deeluxe/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 pm 

The more I boot pack with crampons this spring, I realize just how packed out my current boots (32 TM2) are getting- so looking at the Deeluxe Spark for next season.

There are some pretty good deals on 2011 Spark boots out there- $250 new.
Should I pull the trigger or wait until next season's boot? Are the 2012 improvements worth the extra loot?

WHAT SAY YE ?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 am 

Acopa, for what it's worth, I have ridden the current Spark model exclusively this season (all splitting so it took a beating, esp. this time of year). It has held up admirably over long winter days of big vert and tons of spring trail and talus crushing (~16 miles of dirt walking for the Whitetail!).
I haven't noticed the waterproofing being an issue, but if Chris says it's improved, might be worth looking in to.

I would say that unless you have specific plans that will require the use of a rigid crampon, go for the deal on this season's boot. The Black Diamond Contact fits my size 10.5 Sparks like a glove. Never had to readjust them, not even once (a new experience for me with snowboard boots & crampons!).

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 am 

After doing an 8k hike in my K2 T1's yesterday I'm really really wanting a mountaineery boot for Volcanoes.
Question is do these boots have a stiff sole??? (I'm guessing they didn't from a friend's report after he handled the new ones)
The first Spark boots I handled DID NOT. If they didn't add a stiff sole to this year's model they basically did not improve them one iota. Having a stiff sole is what makes hiking easier for front pointing and relieving pressure off the calf. If the sole flexes in this aspect then it's a retarded design no matter what crampon compatibility they added. (fyi my grivel G12's I've had for 10 years climb as well as any welted crampon)
I do like a flexible sole better for rock scrambling and schwacky approaches but that's not what I want a mountaineery boot for.
The spark boots I felt had a flexible sole and a stiff ankle which is exactly OPPOSITE of what a splitboot mountaineer would want. I'm hoping someone gets it right soon. It's not rocket science.
STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE
STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE STIFF SOLE

How fucking hard is that for a boot maker to comprehend? Jesus maybe I'll fruitboot in the spring.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am 

thx guys, 2011s it is then.

Quote:
Jesus maybe I'll fruitboot in the spring.

...don't do it, man! :nononno:

o just kidding! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:09 pm 

my main complaint with the 2011-2012 spark boot is the toe is super soft. It provides not protection while kicking steps of steep hard snow, or vertical ice. Has anyone else had the same problem? I think I am going to go back to Burton Driver X's next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:47 am 

I've been riding the spark since early January. They're definitely an upgrade over my Solomon boots. I will say cosmetically they look like crap. I have holes in the side where the pins have worn through. The outer layer that comes in contact with the binding strap is ripped apart. The boot is still solid they just look like crap. The toe box is the part that really annoys me. I wear the G10 wide crampons and between cinching them down tight and kicking steps the toe box is starting to fail. I'll be interested to see this years model.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 am 

BGnight wrote:
After doing an 8k hike in my K2 T1's yesterday I'm really really wanting a mountaineery boot for Volcanoes.

I'm hoping someone gets it right soon. It's not rocket science.

How fucking hard is that for a boot maker to comprehend? Jesus maybe I'll fruitboot in the spring.

Someone has figured it out, its just not cheap. Course this is just an option if you don't fruitboot B! :shock:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:17 pm 

Yeah was looking at those but I'm guessing too much toe drag and not enough ankle so no bueno. Fitwell's look rad but they don't sell them here and I'm not willing to order them online overseas without trying 'em on.
Maybe I'll order those Sportiva thingys on bc.com or zappos if they have them due to their liberal return policies and see how they work in my binders.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm 

I used these boots this year and agree that the toe area is too squishy. If you crank your strap crampons too tightly you can crush your foot. Ouch.

While the sole isn't as stiff as an AT boot's, it's a lot stiffer than other soft boots that I've used over the last couple of years (malamutes, drivers). I did a little bit of front pointing here and there and the boots seemed OK. I think that a sole that is completely rigid takes away a lot of the board feel and shock absorption in difficult terrain and variable snow conditions.

Another thing that I liked about the boot is that the liner is legit and properly moldable. I payed to get them molded at a good shop and went back a couple of times to tweak them and it made a big difference.

BUT, once spring rolls around and you're dealing with hard snow on big mountains like volcanos, etc, just getting to the top is often more challenging than the ride down. I hope that Deeluxe not only keeps making these boots better (more streamlined, better toe), but that they also make several versions of it, like maybe a softer version for winter pow and a stiffer-soled version that is more climb-oriented, moutaineer-y, and light-weight for melt/freeze in spring. It's not like Dynafit only makes one AT boot and expects all backcountry skiers to use it regardless of the person's size, skiing style, preferred terrain, etc. :twocents: