Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paulina Peak, North Bowl/Chutes
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

Ever since standing atop Paulina Peak at the age of 15, I'd wanted to return someday. With the weather in the rest of the Oregon Cascades looking iffy for Memorial Weekend, Sunday looked like a prime time to head back to Newberry Volcanic Monument to check things out. After a family picnic, I made the drive across the mountains and started things off with a few pictures at scenic Paulina Falls....

I pulled into the Paulina Lake campground and found Todd waiting there with a fire already built, and I quickly pitched my tent as it started to spit snow. Nearly 6 inches of new snow had fallen in the previous couple of days, and drifts of two feet were present in the campground. After a drink and some BS, we hit the sack in anticipation of the following day.

We got a leisurely start around 7:30, and opted to skin/climb straight at the peak rather than take the gated road the long way around. Paulina regularly gets hit with snow mobile traffic, and someone had been there the day before, though it won't be long until snowmo's can't access due to melt out lower down. Here's a pic of our objective from lower down as we broke out of the trees....

Skinning up the main bowl was pretty straight forward, and the views back down on the lake and out towards the Three Sisters and Mt Jefferson were preety scenic....

At the top of the bowl, we continued climbing up the main couloir, which looked like an easy walk up. As we continued however, it got ever steeper.

About 200 feet from the top, the pitch steepened to 45 degrees plus, and we felt a little underpowered with our aluminum crampons and aluminum axe, given the fact we weren't getting good purchase, so we called it at that point and found a ledge to hang out on. Note to self - next time bring two axes....here's a shot from our high point...

We waited around for an hour or so for the snow to soften, and the views down the couly to the lake were pretty sweet....watching the boats cruise around Paulina Lake trolling for Kokanee was pretty cool....

I dropped in first when the snow was ready, and the first turns were steep. Once I got my edges under me, the riding was sick. Here's a shot Todd snapped of me from lower down in the chute...

I took a few shots of Todd, but several didn't turn out due to a fogged lens. A few did though....

Once down at the top of the bowl, we were able to let it rip and make big sweeping turns down to the bottom. The snow near the bottom was starting to turn to mush in the warmer than forecasted temperatures. It was so good however, that I skinned back up for another lap while Todd stayed put with the camera....

On the skin out we got a bit dis-oriented, but made it to within a few hundred feet of the car....here's a shot of Todd heading back to the barn....

Back at camp, I had a celebratory Obsidian beer from Deschutes Brewery, due to the fact that the obsidian flow for which it was named was less than a mile from where I sat. After that we had a conversation with an older gentleman who lives in his trailer roaming from place to place, and he kept calling us young bucks who like to jump off cliffs. Pretty funny guy.

On the way out, I swung by the lodge to check things out and was able to snap the below pic of our objective. The line we rode is the center couloir in the pic, lookers right. We parked it just below the upper most rocks.....

I'll definitely be heading back sometime soon, maybe not this year, but soon. And besides bringing another ice axe, I'm gonna' throw in my fishing pole as well.....

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: Paulina Peak, North Bowl/Chutes
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm 

Nice work, Young Buck! You post some pretty nice trip reports from Central Oregon. You got me googling Harrisburg and Paulina Peak. You better be careful. I might show up on your doorstep with board in hand. I'm not above cyber stalking!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 pm 

Poker vs. Splitboarding? I tell ya what, next time I'm not playin cards. Shitttt!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 pm 

imitationfunk wrote:
Nice work, Young Buck! You post some pretty nice trip reports from Central Oregon. You got me googling Harrisburg and Paulina Peak. You better be careful. I might show up on your doorstep with board in hand. I'm not above cyber stalking!

Thanks for the compliments on the reports. If you show up in Harrisburg you'll be a ways from the hills, but it's definitely a nice central location for hitting a variety of different peaks.....if you get out to central Oregon, shoot me a pm and I'll get you any beta I have....

ShredOR wrote:
Poker vs. Splitboarding? I tell ya what, next time I'm not playin cards. Shitttt!

We'll have to hook up yet Morgan....looking forward to doing some riding with you.....you definitely would like Paulina!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 am 

Aluminum cramps=bad news IMO. Better to deal with the extra weight and not worry about purchase/rock walking. Great TR, looked like fun riding conditions!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 am 

Paulina is looking good! :headbang: I was up there once 7 years ago in late January. The snow was deep. The visibility was poor. I remember thinking those rocks looked rather aggressive . I like the bar. :guinness: There's a hot spring along the lake, always a plus. Definitely the fishing pole. I believe that lake holds Oregon's brown trout record. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

cant you make your own hot springs by digging in the sand around the lake shore?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:56 am 

Sweet TR, loved the photos. Thanks for sharing! Check the fishing regulations if you plan to eat fish from Paulina or East Lake as they have mercury.

Yeah, you can dig pits in the sand along one portion of the lake shore to create hot spring baths.