Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing Stance Angles to accomodate Dynafitted splitboard
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 am 

How does changing stance-angles (regular-stance only) affect the ride of a snowboard ((aside from boot-out when decreasing the angles (See below)), yet maintain the same stance width?

[*]Changing the front angles increasing and decreasing?
[*]Changing the rear angles increasing and decreasing?

This Summer 2012 I purchased a K2 split-board for my wife and Dynafit Hard Boot set-up: Scarpa F1s, Spark R&D Dynafit Speed Adapters, Burton Race Plate-Voile Slider Plates with 2.5 degrees cant and Dynafit Speed Toe Adpaters (thanks Barrows!).

Given the lack of snow this year, we will have to wait to next season to try the K2 Dyna-splitboard setup.

To accommodate a dynafit-splitboard on a factory K2 set-up and maintain an 18" stance width. I had to change my wife's stance angles.

Changes made to wife's stance angles:
[*] Front 21 degrees
[*] Rear 15 degrees

To:
[*]Front 18 degrees
[*]Rear 6 degrees

[*] Increased stance width from 18 inches to 18 1/4 inches

This summer, I have a couple of DIY self split-projects for my wife and I: so I am wondering can go ahead with these splitboard projects and wonder if the change stance-angles (mentioned above) will be alright or should I wait to will have the stance angles dialed-in before mounting the DIY voile pucks?

Post subject: Re: Changing Stance Angles to accomodate Dynafitted splitboard
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:15 pm 

I'd say hold off on the puck placement till you tried out the hardboots and get the feel of them.
Have most of the work done on the diy boards and the puck placement won't take long once you know what you like.
A good place to start is increase the angle in the rear foot until there is no bootout, then add 5 degrees to the front foot(rules don't apply if you have clown feet or your a freak like me and have an alpine background).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:25 pm 

Vapor, thanks for your advice.

I too come from an alpine-snowboard background. I have decrease angles to accomodate Dynafitted splitboard and maintain stance width, similar to what you have suggested for myself, compared to my alpine-board setup.

My wife's rear stance angles are pretty limited ( 6 to 0 degrees) given the 18 inch stance width, when you add in the dynafit toe pieces, spark adapters voile heel riser.

Her boot size is 25 mondo and board width is 24.5 cm for K2 other boards are 24 cm

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:46 pm 

Personally, I prefer to ride the same angles and widths with hard or soft boots. I like to make my hard boots (TLT5s) flex very similarly to soft boots, so there is no need to change anything about my stance, and I can ride the stance I prefer to suit my riding style (board width allowing of course). Over the past several years I have been slowly widening my stance, a little bit every year, and I think I have finally found the sweet spot for me. I ride a little wider on longer boards, and all stances are set back about 4 cm from the center of the sidecut (not the waist).
Angles are subject to small variations, +/- 3 degrees, to allow for different hole patterns, without any significant change in feel.

On my 166 Storm:

~27 degrees F, ~9 degrees R, width at 21.3"

On my 173 furberg:

~27 degrees F, ~7 degrees R, width at 21.8"

for reference I am 6'1".

A wider stance allows for more fore/aft stability (within reason), but going too wide will make the board feel really weird: like one is not riding a single board, but a separation between the nose and tail. I like to go as wide as I can, but not so wide that I get that I get that separate nose/tail feeling. When I go too wide, the center of the board also becomes too flexible torsionally, and this adds to "separate" feeling. I prefer to be able to stand with a centered feeling in the board, and to be able to ride the board from a neutral, centered, position at all times, and feel that this type of position and riding style makes me more able to deal with difficult situations if/when they arise.
As far as angles go, a little more angle makes it easier to see down the fall line in steep situations, and to keep the upper body and hips in the fall line, allowing for better turn initiation. But too much angle makes absorbing terrain irregularities, and surf style riding (out of the falline, and creative expression) difficult and awkward. I have a front foot position which is turned out more than my back foot due to accommodate a severe ankle break (skating back in high school), if my feet turned out evenly, my front foot angle would probably be a few degrees less.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:37 pm 

i went from 20 degrees front and 0 back to 25 degrees front and 5 back.

same degree interval between bindings just added 5 degrees to both.

i also made the stance 1 inch smaller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 am 

Can you increase stance width, if you add 2.5 degree cants to both front and rear bindings (Burton race plate bindings mod-on voile slider tracks)?

If so how much, for a rider who is is 5'3' and currently rides a 18 inch stance?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:12 am 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Can you increase stance width, if you add 2.5 degree cants to both front and rear bindings (Burton race plate bindings mod-on voile slider tracks)?

If so how much, for a rider who is is 5'3' and currently rides a 18 inch stance?

One "can" try anything of course. A lot of this stuff is going to be personal preference. That said, 18" seems pretty narrow, even for a rider of that height.
I use 2.5 degree cants, but only because my boot shafts are have positive cant built in (the other way) for skiing, the 2.5 degree cant just allows the boot shafts to go to a neutral position. I like everything to be as "neutral" and natural feeling as possible, so I can ride the board without having to make any kind of exagerrated weigth shifts (especially with rockered boards these days).
If ones boots are too stiff laterally and medially, then the stance has to be narrower, but with boots with the right feel, the stance width can be the same as with soft boots. I like to be able to stand, in the sweet spot of the board, in a relaxed position, neutral, with the board flat, without any pressure on any part of the boot (tongue, back, medial, or lateral)-if one can do this, then the stance, boots, and bindings are probably set up well of width, cant, and angles. I find a slight heel lift on the rear foot really helps as well, just a couple of mm of lift under the rear heel.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 am 

when using hardshells at low angles some inward canting is more comfortable and more efficient, while allowing a slightly wider stance. heel lift on the rear helps more with steeper angles.

18" stance seems narrow, but I ride 19.5-20 with a 32 inseam, the more important measurement than my 6' height imho, and alpine angles 25r/40f w/size 27.
I will go wider and lower angle when I upgrade to dynafit to allow for the latch sticking out front of the toe. a simpler tech mechanism like the sportiva would eliminate this issue.

Test stances, cant/angle/width on her solid board on the carpet to see how comfortable/neutral she'll be with changes.
hardshells take some "dialing in" to work well